Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC Officer Program - Question about Leave time and Vacation
honeypot

Author Topic: NUPOC Officer Program - Question about Leave time and Vacation  (Read 4436 times)

Offline drewster1

• Lurker
So I'm a college student about to graduate I've  applied for the NUPOC program and have an interview date for with the Admiral in DC but I have some questions before I step foot on that plane bound for DC.  How does leave time and vacation time work through all stages of the 5 year commitment? I am very curious to know how and when I would be able to spend time with my family that will be back and home and my girlfriend (very possibly going to be my wife here soon). Any replies I thank you ahead of time.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Leave for active duty accrues at 2.5 days/month. You can have a maximum of 60 days carry over to the next FY (which starts in Oct and ends in Sept).

If you take leave over a weekend, it counts against your balance. In civvy world, if you take a long Thurs-Tues weekend, you use 2 days. In the military that's 4.

There will be many times where you can't take leave -- OCS, nuclear power school, prototype, SOBC, and if your boat is due to go to sea.

In your first two years of service, you can expect to be able to take leave while traveling between training commands and travelling from SOBC to the boat. This will typically amount to 1-2 weeks during each travel time.

After that, it's up to where the boat is on its deployment cycle. If you're in-port around the holidays, you'll get a week around then (typically single guys get the 2nd week where you get New Year's off). Otherwise, yea, no predictions.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Leave for active duty accrues at 2.5 days/month. You can have a maximum of 60 days carry over to the next FY (which starts in Oct and ends in Sept).

If you take leave over a weekend, it counts against your balance. In civvy world, if you take a long Thurs-Tues weekend, you use 2 days. In the military that's 4.

There will be many times where you can't take leave -- OCS, nuclear power school, prototype, SOBC, and if your boat is due to go to sea.

In your first two years of service, you can expect to be able to take leave while traveling between training commands and travelling from SOBC to the boat. This will typically amount to 1-2 weeks during each travel time.

After that, it's up to where the boat is on its deployment cycle. If you're in-port around the holidays, you'll get a week around then (typically single guys get the 2nd week where you get New Year's off). Otherwise, yea, no predictions.

Several wrong statements above....

Current DoD policy allows leave carryover of 75 days, not 60.  This policy has been in place for several years now, and likely continue for the forseeable future.

Also, navy policy now allows combining leave and liberty, so you do not always have to take leave for days you already have off.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Not so fast...there was a message right before I left ustafish where they are redacting the 75 day thing, next FY IIRC. It was a temporary measure until the flags could beat the COs over the head enough to get guys to take leave. By the time OP hits the fleet, it will be back to 60.

As for combining leave and liberty, the rev of the milpersman being used on usedtafish still said it wasn't allowed. How new is that?
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2013, 12:10 by spekkio »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Not so fast...there was a message right before I left ustafish where they are redacting the 75 day thing, next FY IIRC. It was a temporary measure until the flags could beat the COs over the head enough to get guys to take leave. By the time OP hits the fleet, it will be back to 60.

As for combining leave and liberty, the rev of the milpersman being used on usedtafish still said it wasn't allowed. How new is that?

You can look it up yourself.  Message approving 75 carryover and link to MILPERSMAN is on BUPERS website.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?