Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu concerned about failing out  

Author Topic: concerned about failing out  (Read 7937 times)

Offline zackthespartan

• Lurker
concerned about failing out
« on: Apr 21, 2013, 07:41 »
I have yet to fail a single test or course in A-school; currently have a 2.8 gpa. I'm in digital right now and it's really getting to me right now that the pace of study and learning is taking a toll on my confidence as to whether I'm gonna make it even though I'm making extra effort than before to pass. But I still have my concerns. I'm afraid of what's gonna happen to me if worst comes to worst, I fail A-school?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: concerned about failing out
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2013, 10:28 »
I have yet to fail a single test or course in A-school; currently have a 2.8 gpa. I'm in digital right now and it's really getting to me right now that the pace of study and learning is taking a toll on my confidence as to whether I'm gonna make it even though I'm making extra effort than before to pass. But I still have my concerns. I'm afraid of what's gonna happen to me if worst comes to worst, I fail A-school?

I'm two weeks into nuke school (ET by the way). But I'm starting to have 'second thoughts' about whether or not I should have chosen to go nuke. I DO NOT regret joining the Navy at all; probably the best decision I've ever made in my life, aside from getting my bachelor's degree in criminal justice.

However, this tedious life at nuke school has me wondering if all the challenges I have ahead of me for the upcoming months is worth it? I didn't select nuke because of the big bonus. In fact, my folks are always telling me that I chose the navy, the navy 'chose me' for nuclear. I went nuclear because I wanted a rating that would make me exercise skills I'm good at, that's why we all take the ASVAB, so the service can see what our strengths are.

But all in all, is being a nuke worth it? I'm not talking about in terms of big bucks, I mean in terms of job enjoyment, sense of belonging, stuff like that.

You probably need to fix your time machine, since you are flailing at A school now, 3 months after being in nuke school. So which is it? For a BA in CJ, you seem to have trouble with an accurate accounting of facts and times.

Offline VCSInstNuke

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2013, 12:15 »
It has become common for many of the students to refer to the beginning of the pipeline (A school and Power School) as "nuke school" since they are in the same building. It is more prevalent for those in A school to refer to both as nuke school. I am pretty sure he is not trying to pull a fast one by switching up the times, but who knows...
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2013, 12:16 by VCSInstNuke »

Offline dea

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2013, 04:23 »
If you have a GPA of 2.8 in A School and are struggling it looks like you are in for a tough time in NPS because the pace is even faster. I went to NPS about 40 years ago so I may be  wrong but at that time a GPA of 2.8 meant that you are averaging about 70%, that's pretty low for A School. Don't give up though, study harder.

vtor

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2013, 06:44 »

digital = memorization , so just do it a bunch of times and then you should get through, if you do not get something Read the actual textbook on it, in there they explain stuff much better imo.

vtor

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2013, 06:46 »
Also i remember a lot of ET's did the worst on ICE, so its all memorizing from there ( im not sure as i was an Electrician).

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 04:06 »
There was a time when ET's were in the top 5% of the Navy, and those chosen for nuke where in the to 5% of the ET's, and those poor souls had to learn about radar or radio to advance.  Nuclear instrumentation was a one month course at prototype.  To advance, you had to take tests on radars or communications equipment you never saw.

If you are a 2.8  student, you will have to work your butt off to stay in the program.  To fail, you will go no where in the Navy.  If you fail, you are probably out of the service, because as a nuke ET, out of the engine rooms, you are useless.  USELESS, a failure!

In the old days, you either left the nuclear program as head case or were shipped off to Gitmo, or PBR's.  But at least you could fix non-nuke equipment.  Have no fear, a nuke ET dropout is as I have said, useless to the modern Navy.  Drop out and you will soon be back on the streets as a civilian.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline tucker0104

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 05:33 »
I went to nuke-EM school and nuke school afterwards in 2000. I barely passed A school as an electrician with a 2.8 or 2.9. I was on 25-4's (I think that is right) the whole time. It sucked.... Power school was so much easier for me. Don't give up. Try your hardest. Get your instructors to help you. DO whatever you have to do. My friends and parents kept telling me it is only temporary. It will pass. I know most people won't admit this, but I cried before almost every class afraid I was going to fail out. It is only 1 1/2 years of your life. Once you are done, you are almost guaranteed to make good money for the rest of your life. Unless you like it, do your 6 and get out. You can do it. Just stick with it and remember it is only temporary.

Offline walrusrampage

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2013, 04:13 »
I have heard alot of success stories of people who failed A school academically. It is better than 'sadding out' once you get to the fleet and can't handle it. At least nobody is relying on you to be there now. There are alot of rates that you could qualify for. For instance, one friend of mine failed comp and became a CTN. He is in Florida and never has to go on deployment. He also made second before I did a few years ago.

However, you should do your best, stop worrying and get into the building and study. Don't look around on here to see your options for when you fail, spend every amount of time you can making success the only option. Talk to your instructors, ask the guys on vols for help, and most of all, stay awake in class.

Offline EM UMPTY SQUAT

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2013, 11:47 »
If you fail A-school you will either get rated as a conventional for your rate or re-rated all together, keep your E-3 and go to a new A-school or some people I know went Undes to the fleet

Personally, I thought Power School was twice the pace and workload of A-school BUT I know tons of people who say A-school was tougher, and tons of people who think they are about the same. Also tons of success stories of people who had 2.5-2.9 in A school and above a 3.0 in Power School.

Specific example, girl I Know, 2.58 A school almost failed out several times, 3.6 Power School and graduated with distinction so it is what you make of it. Just don't wimp out.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?