Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Need help with researching

Author Topic: Need help with researching  (Read 4941 times)

Offline boundless

• Very Lite User
Need help with researching
« on: Jun 23, 2013, 04:47 »
Hello :) Thank you for stopping!

I'm a 24 year old female depper awaiting basic for march 2014. I just reclassified this week into the navy nuke program after taking the NAPT. I'm trying to do research on some specific details that does not concern tests, study material, or keys for success in school. In particular, I'm trying to find out how many places are available for me to end up after basic training and all the speciality schooling. Obviously there is no way to know where I will end up until I end up there, but I would like to know what bases are available to nuclear positions so that I may research the areas and decide which places I would prefer over others....should it come to my choice. At this point, all I really understand is that it is quite likely I will be on an air craft carrier, due to the majority of them being nuclear powered. And I believe there are only 5 places air craft carriers are homeported (Norfolk, Va - San Diego, CA - Everett, WA- Kitsap, WA - Yokosuka, Japan). I was curious if this meant that these few places are the only ones I should be researching or if any could be added.

Firstly, am I correct in assuming all nukes for the Navy go to the Air craft carriers? If not, what others do? (minus the subs, I am not eligible for submarine work since I am female)

Secondly, what bases are there that are nuclear  / nuclear-capable or however one would say.

I appreciate any time/words given to aid me in searching for these answers.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2013, 04:49 by boundless »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Need help with researching
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2013, 05:15 »
Hello :) Thank you for stopping!

I'm a 24 year old female depper awaiting basic for march 2014. I just reclassified this week into the navy nuke program after taking the NAPT. I'm trying to do research on some specific details that does not concern tests, study material, or keys for success in school. In particular, I'm trying to find out how many places are available for me to end up after basic training and all the speciality schooling. Obviously there is no way to know where I will end up until I end up there, but I would like to know what bases are available to nuclear positions so that I may research the areas and decide which places I would prefer over others....should it come to my choice. At this point, all I really understand is that it is quite likely I will be on an air craft carrier, due to the majority of them being nuclear powered. And I believe there are only 5 places air craft carriers are homeported (Norfolk, Va - San Diego, CA - Everett, WA- Kitsap, WA - Yokosuka, Japan). I was curious if this meant that these few places are the only ones I should be researching or if any could be added.

Firstly, am I correct in assuming all nukes for the Navy go to the Air craft carriers? If not, what others do? (minus the subs, I am not eligible for submarine work since I am female)

Secondly, what bases are there that are nuclear  / nuclear-capable or however one would say.

I appreciate any time/words given to aid me in searching for these answers.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/nav_legacy.asp?id=195

There is a link on the text of that page to the ships/subs by name

Don't recruiters answer questions anymore?

Offline boundless

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2013, 05:32 »
Thank you for the link. When I asked my recruiter about it, he informed he he didnt know. He spent his time all on subs, and said he couldnt answer questions not pertaining to them :/

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2013, 10:14 »
You can also get pseudo-nuke duty in Guam and maybe Italy. I've seen nukes go to tenders in both places, but not until after your first sea tour. Otherwise as far as sea duty goes, yup, those are the bases, although Kitsap is split between Everett and Bremerton.

HeavyD

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2013, 08:00 »
To provide greater clarity, the ONLY ship you can end up on during your first tour as a female enlisted nuke is an aircraft carrier.  Enlisted women are not currently assigned to subs. 

As for choice of ports, here's the current (as of today) data for carriers and their homeport:

Norfolk (including Newport News shipyard):
EINSENHOWER CVN-69
THEODORE ROOSEVELT CVN-71
TRUMAN CVN-75
GEORGE H.W. BUSH CVN-77
LINCOLN CVN-72 (Newport News)

San Diego
CARL VINSON CVN-70
RONALD REAGAN CVN-76

Everett
NIMITZ CVN-68
JOHN C. STENNIS CVN-74

Yokuska
GEORGE WASHINGTON CVN-73

Yes, the ENTERPRISE CVN-65 (Norfolk, VA) is still a commissioned aircraft carrier.  She has been deactivated to begin the decommissioning process.  Are they still assigning first term Nukes there?  The odds are against it because you will miss out on operational experience, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Also, for your recruiter to tell you they don't know anything about surface ships is simply lazy.  OK, they were a bubblehead, but they can still point to someone else in the office or find you some answers.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering!

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2013, 01:07 »
Also, for your recruiter to tell you they don't know anything about surface ships is simply lazy.  OK, they were a bubblehead, but they can still point to someone else in the office or find you some answers.
Yea, it was lazy for him to say "I don't know" but without a "I'll get back to you." However, to his credit, at least he didn't spout out a canned answer from a 3 year old brochure made by civilians at NRD with inaccurate information.

A fast attack with 3 month deployments and 4-section watch rotation? Where is it and how do I get assigned to it?
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2013, 01:09 by spekkio »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2013, 02:02 »
....A fast attack with 3 month deployments and 4-section watch rotation? Where is it and how do I get assigned to it?

it was a dyslexia moment,...

should have read > 4 month deployments and 3-section watch rotation,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?