Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice on math classes for computational nuclear engineering  

Author Topic: Advice on math classes for computational nuclear engineering  (Read 4521 times)

razor_rich13

Hi, I'm a rising senior physics major at a small liberal arts college that doesn't have a nuclear engineering program.  I want to go to nuclear engineering grad school, and maybe focus on computational nuclear engineering (which makes heavy use of the Monte Carlo method) . 

I'd like to get some advice on math classes I should take for this coming academic year.  I've already taken math up through multivariable calculus and a semester combo class of linear algebra/differential equations. 

My options, with course descriptions, are below.

****   Fall Semester ****

I only have room for one of these:

Discrete
An introduction to mathematical reasoning and to the kind of mathematics appropriate for the study of properties of (possibly large) finite systems. Topics include proof techniques, mathematical induction, elementary number theory, combinatorics, relations, and graph theory. Applications will be made to the construction of models useful in the social and physical sciences and to the study of algorithms in computer science.

Probability
An introduction to the major topics of probability including sample spaces, conditional probability, discrete and continuous random variables, exception and variance, and limit theorems (law of large numbers, central limit theorem). Time permitting, topics in stochastic processes or statistics are introduced.

**** Spring Semester ****

I can only pick two of these:

Applied Statistics
Calculus-based introductory course in statistics. Exploratory data analysis, questions of causation, probability, continuous and discrete random variables, distributions of sums of random variables, confidence intervals, significance tests, use and abuse of tests, one and two sample procedures, inferences in linear regression, and analysis of variance.

Linear Algebra
Matrix algebra, finite dimensional vector spaces, linear transformations, determinants, eigenvalues, and applications.

Complex Variables
A study of analytic functions, power series, complex integration, conformal mapping, and the calculus of residues with applications to physical science. 

Numerical Analysis
A survey of numerical mathematics and continuous algorithms. Topics may include number representation, error analysis, finding roots of equations, interpolation, numerical differentiation and integration, solving systems of linear equations, and numerical methods for differential equations. FORTRAN will be introduced.

If you can let me know which math courses I should take, if any, for preparing for computational nuclear engineering, that would be huge.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2013, 10:45 by razor_rich13 »

Fermi2

Discrete will have nothing to do with any type of math you've ever done.

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Definitely take probability.  Everything we analyze for is based on probability.

Definitely take linear algebra.  Lots of  concepts in nuclear engineering grad school that relies on matrix manipulation. Mastery of those concepts is a must!   I would also recommend the applied statistics course.

In case you're wondering, I have a master's degree in Nuclear Engineering.

Cheers,

GC

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2013, 04:11 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

spciesla

Numerical Analysis - Since you are already talking about Monte Carlo, you should get familar with numerical methods.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?