Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Looking for advice on the twidget nuke life.

Author Topic: Looking for advice on the twidget nuke life.  (Read 3384 times)

Offline paulathorn6903

• Lurker
Looking for advice on the twidget nuke life.
« on: Aug 07, 2013, 02:14 »
It's been 6 months since I left the army. I left during reception and did not go to BCT. I've already talked to my recruiter on getting a waiver for it and we are still working on it but I'd like to have an idea of what the process will be like for me. My separation papers say exactly this. Re entry code 3. Jga. Chapter 11. If anyone or any recruiters know specifics on how to handle this please let me know.  I've heard all kinds of requirements such as letters from family to reassure the issue was handled and certain interviews I'll have to go through. All of this is just fine with me I'll do anything I have to do I'm just wondering if anyone has maybe been through this situation before. This is definitely something worth jumping through hoops for. I think the best way is to just stay honest and upfront about everything so there's no misunderstanding of how fit I am to join and how committed I already am. Also, I've been taking practice tests for the asvab just because I prefer to have practice so I'll be 100% relaxed once I get to MEPs and lately I've been scoring over enough points to qual for navy nuke. The asvab scores from the army I was only a few points off so I'd like to take the chance of joining the nuclear field for active duty. Hopefully I have high enough line scores like in my practice so I won't have to take the NAPT but if necessary I won't hesitate. I'm aware of the difficulty of the year and a half schooling for it along with long hours. A-school, Power school,and prototype will be challenging but it all sounds worth it and the challenge is what attracts me. I've done way too much research about the process of becoming a nuke and the nuke life. I know there's supposedly a 60% failure rate going through that year and a half of training and it'll be a tremendous amount of effort to keep soaking in all the information in the limited of time. I understand the pressure of it all. None of that is an issue. I'm very confident in how intelligent I am and even more so in my learning ability for something I truly want. I'm most interested in becoming a twidget but reading this website its to my understanding that its decided in bootcamp based on the navy's current needs, line scores, and then my personal preference. And that's fine too as I plan to later on cross train as much as possible so I'll be versatile.. and honestly I just like the idea of learning as much as possible so I can understand in detail of how all three intertwine as if I'm all three rates at once. I'm a very detailed person and that's why I want to begin as an ET. Above all I'm a perfectionist and I'd love the chance to be memorizing schematics, drawing them outo and knowing everything about the nuclear reactor. I'm open to any advice or just any pros and cons you'd like to throw out there. Keep in mind though I already know all about the sub life from very close nuke friends of mine but unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your views) I'm still a girl and I don't see the navy willingly adjusting every corner of a sub just to make it possible at least not within the next 7-10 years and even then hopefully I'll be up to a nice busybee chief status. So if you know anything of life on a carrier that advice would be useful as well.
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2013, 07:30 by Rennhack »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Looking for advice on the twidget nuke life.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2013, 08:06 »
It's been 6 months since I left the army. I left during reception and did not go to BCT. I've already talked to my recruiter on getting a waiver for it and we are still working on it but I'd like to have an idea of what the process will be like for me. My separation papers say exactly this. Re entry code 3. Jga. Chapter 11. If anyone or any recruiters know specifics on how to handle this please let me know.  I've heard all kinds of requirements such as letters from family to reassure the issue was handled and certain interviews I'll have to go through. All of this is just fine with me I'll do anything I have to do I'm just wondering if anyone has maybe been through this situation before. This is definitely something worth jumping through hoops for. I think the best way is to just stay honest and upfront about everything so there's no misunderstanding of how fit I am to join and how committed I already am. Also, I've been taking practice tests for the asvab just because I prefer to have practice so I'll be 100% relaxed once I get to MEPs and lately I've been scoring over enough points to qual for navy nuke. The asvab scores from the army I was only a few points off so I'd like to take the chance of joining the nuclear field for active duty. Hopefully I have high enough line scores like in my practice so I won't have to take the NAPT but if necessary I won't hesitate. I'm aware of the difficulty of the year and a half schooling for it along with long hours. A-school, Power school,and prototype will be challenging but it all sounds worth it and the challenge is what attracts me. I've done way too much research about the process of becoming a nuke and the nuke life. I know there's supposedly a 60% failure rate going through that year and a half of training and it'll be a tremendous amount of effort to keep soaking in all the information in the limited of time. I understand the pressure of it all. None of that is an issue. I'm very confident in how intelligent I am and even more so in my learning ability for something I truly want. I'm most interested in becoming a twidget but reading this website its to my understanding that its decided in bootcamp based on the navy's current needs, line scores, and then my personal preference. And that's fine too as I plan to later on cross train as much as possible so I'll be versatile.. and honestly I just like the idea of learning as much as possible so I can understand in detail of how all three intertwine as if I'm all three rates at once. I'm a very detailed person and that's why I want to begin as an ET. Above all I'm a perfectionist and I'd love the chance to be memorizing schematics, drawing them outo and knowing everything about the nuclear reactor. I'm open to any advice or just any pros and cons you'd like to throw out there. Keep in mind though I already know all about the sub life from very close nuke friends of mine but unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your views) I'm still a girl and I don't see the navy willingly adjusting every corner of a sub just to make it possible at least not within the next 7-10 years and even then hopefully I'll be up to a nice busybee chief status. So if you know anything of life on a carrier that advice would be useful as well.

You didn't stay Army long enough to get an MOS, but "understand the pressure of it all" ?!?

Assuming that you do NOT get waivered into Nuke ( a very real possibility ), what else or why else would you go Navy?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?