Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Which to choose? MM EM ET (ELT?)/career options

Author Topic: Which to choose? MM EM ET (ELT?)/career options  (Read 35511 times)

Offline JoeSBK

• Light User
Which to choose? MM EM ET (ELT?)/career options
« on: Oct 08, 2013, 03:43 »
I'm going to be joining via GED and 15 college credits, I already have my GED and am currently choosing community college classes to get my 15 credits.

The recruiter said I won't have any issues joining, but I still don't know which MOS to apply for, do they let you choose between the three options or is it a case filling under manned gaps?

Also, I'd just like to point out I didn't drop out of highschool, when I was 14 my family moved to Thailand and school over there isn't an option if you can't afford to pay 90k a year, sadly, when I moved back to the U.S. I was "too old" to finish highschool, so I basically just taught myself the high-school curriculum.

On a side note, how is a nuclear career? I like the idea of intense learning/education, 77 college credits is great too, is it actually feasible if you want to do anything other than a nuclear career out of the navy? I plan on going to medical school when I'm out (pre-med?), so I'm really trying to get a grasp of what being navy nuke consists of.

Any suggestions for college courses would also be helpful, not sure if a specific course would help or not.

Thank you for reading, I appreciate replies.

Some details.

Currently 18.

starting college in January.

Should have credits by July.

According to my ASVAB scores I scored high enough not to need a NAPT.

No Girlfriend/wife/family in the area, relocation is not an issue.

« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2013, 03:48 by JoeSBK »

Fermi2

Re: Which to choose? MM EM ET (ELT?)/career options
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2013, 03:56 »
Currently should learn to use the search function as these questions are already answered.

HeavyD

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2013, 04:06 »
First point, it's called a rating, not an MOS.  That's Army speak.

Second, the only rate you can choose, and not have it changed on you, is MM.  On that note, ELT isn't a rate.  As an ELT you are rated as a MM.  ELT is a specialization that you learn through a class "C" School.  On a surface ship, your primary role is as an ELT.  On a sub, 1 of the 4 or 5 of you are the underway ELT, the rest are MMs, standing watch for M-Div.

Lastly, those 77 credits are "recommended" by the American Council of Education (ACE).  They in no way, shape, or form are guaranteed, unless the degree you are pursuing is in Nuclear Engineering Technology from a select few schools; Thomas Edison is one of these.

Not trying to beat you up more, but these are facts about our program.

bigdog46

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2013, 06:48 »
One correction, ELT is an elite specialization, heavy on the elite.

Offline JoeSBK

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2013, 07:53 »
First point, it's called a rating, not an MOS.  That's Army speak.

Second, the only rate you can choose, and not have it changed on you, is MM.  On that note, ELT isn't a rate.  As an ELT you are rated as a MM.  ELT is a specialization that you learn through a class "C" School.  On a surface ship, your primary role is as an ELT.  On a sub, 1 of the 4 or 5 of you are the underway ELT, the rest are MMs, standing watch for M-Div.

Lastly, those 77 credits are "recommended" by the American Council of Education (ACE).  They in no way, shape, or form are guaranteed, unless the degree you are pursuing is in Nuclear Engineering Technology from a select few schools; Thomas Edison is one of these.

Not trying to beat you up more, but these are facts about our program.

Okay, thank you, and, you can use any bachelor's degree for premed granted you also include specific courses as well, so yes I will pursue Nuclear engineering Technology as a major.

Does anyone else recommend anything? and thanks Broad, I tried searching earlier but it didn't work out as well, I just used the 'advanced search' and I found what I wanted.

What about ELT? I've been seeing alot of negative (and sarcastic) responses about them.

and finally, are any jobs considered better than the other when it comes to a future career?

Thank you.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2013, 09:33 »
What about ELT? I've been seeing alot of negative (and sarcastic) responses about them.

and finally, are any jobs considered better than the other when it comes to a future career?

Thank you.

If you can successfully decode this video:

you'll be a fine sub ELT

If not, probably a magazine-reading slug EM on another air-conditioned Load Center watch on a birdfarm....

Offline JoeSBK

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2013, 08:58 »
If you can successfully decode this video:

you'll be a fine sub ELT

If not, probably a magazine-reading slug EM on another air-conditioned Load Center watch on a birdfarm....

Oh lord, just from my own experiences, it's about Ladyboys and being careful around attractive women, "if you're lucky your god is a she."

Anyway off topic, no one suggests anything then? and what naval phrases should I know? I grew up around Army people so their slang/terms is mainly what I know.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2013, 09:05 by JoeSBK »

Offline song of the south

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2013, 05:25 »
Most important Navy term - Aye Aye. Definition - I understand and will comply.

Also check this out:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,26145.0.html
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
Albert Einstein

HeavyD

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2013, 12:40 »
What do you like?

MM - pumps, valves, lube oil systems, etc

EM - Motors, electrical generators, etc

ET - some circuitry based equipment, standing watch staring at the reactor control panel, etc

ELT - simple water chemistry and radiochemistry analysis, radiological controls with relatively low (compared to commercial work) contamination levels, along with the job that MMs do (mainly for our submarine brethren)

Go for what interests you.  However, like I already posted, the only rate you can get guaranteed before going to boot camp is MM.  That is if they haven't changed anything since I joined in December of 1991.

You can request EM or ET, but you wont know for sure until sometime in boot camp when the Nuke classifier sorts out who fills what quotas.  That will be your first experience with the most important phrase you will hear; "Needs of the Navy".

As for ELT, you submit a request while at prototype.  The staff goes through a sorting process, can't recall if we interviewed people or not ( my staff tour as an ELT was at Charleston, Nov 1996 to Feb 2000, so it's been awhile).  Then they tell the lucky few that get to be a part of the ultra cool kids club:)

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve!

Offline JoeSBK

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2013, 10:06 »
Which one gets the most training/experience? that's basically what I'm aiming for, If possible the best case scenario for me is to finish 6 years with a B.S. (or credit equivalent)

Or atleast I heard you can achieve a B.S. while enlisted.

So what about courses in community college for credits? I think physics and calculus would be logical granted nukes use it, otherwise just for fun. 

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2013, 10:36 »
You won't come out of your first 6 year commitment with a B.S. It isn't possible unless you can function on 0-2 hours of sleep a day over a prolonged period of time. And then there's the whole thing of standing duty once every 3 or 4 days getting in the way of 'attending' classes either online or in person.

If you want a B.S., go to school. The Navy isn't an accredited university.

If you want the Navy to pay for school, you have a few options:

1) enlist and use the GI bill when you get out. Applies to all rates.
2) NROTC, you may be restricted in major though.
3) NUPOC, only for nukes.
4) USNA

Using tuition assistance/PACE courses isn't realistic in your first sea tour as an enlisted servicemember. And the highest I've ever seen a submarine nuke get in PACE courses is a C+, but only like 1 or 2 people who enrolled actually finished the course. That's because it's entirely self-study with no access to the internet to find a youtube video to explain something you don't understand. The XO was not happy.

So what about courses in community college for credits? I think physics and calculus would be logical granted nukes use it, otherwise just for fun.
None.

You don't do college level coursework as an enlisted nuke. You can get a bunch of random credits at a select few universities such as Exelcior, but your training will not give you credits toward any 'traditional' bacchelorate coursework like calculus or physics.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2013, 10:51 by spekkio »

HeavyD

« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2013, 12:08 »
I think you're missing the big picture here about what you are obligating yourself for by enlisting in the US Navy.

Your first 24 months you'll be at training commands.  You wont be given an opportunity to attend off duty education, because your schooling is your job.  You wont be eligible for any kind of education assistance, because you are in training; you aren't permanently attached to the command.

If you only plan on doing a 6 and out tour, your entire remaining 4 years will be either on a ship or a sub.  The first year there, your primary focus will be on getting qualified senior-in-rate; meaning qualified all of the requisite watchstations and your final senior level watchstation.  Plus continuing training. And maintenance.  And cleaning the engineering spaces. And standing duty. And performing general military training.

And hopefully you start to get the picture.  Your posts almost sound like you think there is going to be some big spots of free time where you can go and take a couple of college classes here and there and finish a B.S. degree.  Not. Going. To. Happen.

If, and that's a big IF, you manage to end up on a carrier going into the yards for overhaul and refueling, you might get an opportunity to attend some classes on a somewhat routine basis. 

Enlisting in the military means you are volunteering to serve your country; you become the property of the US government and they aren't paying you to get a degree.  They are paying you to do what they tell you, when they tell you. 

This isn't meant as a rain on your parade response; these are realities of what being an enlisted member of the US Navy is about.  Being underway, working long hours, putting up with people you don't like and can't escape, because you all live within 75 feet of each other (at least on a carrier the berthing was that big), with your only private space being a rack literally the size of a coffin.

Engineering rates, both nuke and conventional, are the first ones on board for an underway and the last ones to leave when you pull back in.

The recruiter isn't lying to you about the potential college credits; some colleges will give you some credits.  Excelsior and Thomas Edison State College have degree programs tailored for Navy nukes.  However, these are Engineering Technology degrees, not Engineering Degrees.  There is a definitive difference between the two and you can't substitute a Eng Tech degree in a lot of instances.

Do some research on your own, away from this site.  Google "Navy College" and "navy+ degree" and see what you come up with.

6 and out makes you eligible for an entry level position as an Auxiliary/Non-Licensed Operator at a civilian plant.  Period.  Along with every other 6 and outer that is going to be competing with you for that job.   

Lastly, if you want to be a doctor (I assume this from your original post about wanting to go pre-med after the Navy), being an enlisted Nuke isn't going to do anything for you, other than take away 6 years of your life.  It's not going to put you in a position to finish a Bachelor's degree that will get you into med-school.  Sorry to sound harsh, but this is reality.

Good luck.

Offline JoeSBK

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2013, 10:00 »
Thank you, I'm understanding the nuke program alot better now, I'm happy to join as long as I get experience enough to get a stable job after I'm out, and use the GI bill to get a degree/premed.

My expectations were a bit illogical now that I see that free time isn't a thing, but again, all worth it as long as I can get a degree eventually, and part of a degree and or comprehension of the field while in. I don't think it will be a waste of six years granted I probably wouldn't be able to afford college on my own, and that nukes would give me a whole lot more knowledge than most branches.

I appreciate the honesty.

So is there is nothing to help prepare for the field? I have at least a year to study anything I want.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2013, 10:03 by JoeSBK »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2013, 10:49 »
If MD is your ultimate goal, the Navy has a medical school scholarship program in return for service obligation. You'd commission directly as an O-3 and you'd basically be a physician while in the Navy. If you go underway, you'd be on a carrier or a specialty hospital ship. You'd have to speak to the medical officer recruiter in your NRD for more details (and you'll have to get your bachelor's on your own).

If medical is your passion and you are still set on enlisting, why not HM? It won't get you into medical school, but surely you can use experience actually treating patients on a medical school application essay a lot better than what you do as a nuke. And your job will at least be something you are somewhat interested in doing.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2013, 10:51 by spekkio »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2013, 10:58 »
If MD is your ultimate goal, the Navy has a medical school scholarship program in return for service obligation. You'd commission directly as an O-3 and you'd basically be a physician while in the Navy. If you go underway, you'd be on a carrier or a specialty hospital ship. You'd have to speak to the medical officer recruiter in your NRD for more details (and you'll have to get your bachelor's on your own).

If medical is your passion and you are still set on enlisting, why not HM? It won't get you into medical school, but surely you can use experience actually treating patients on a medical school application essay a lot better than what you do as a nuke. And your job will at least be something you are somewhat interested in doing.

When submarine hulls were teak some of the boomers carried a doctor instead of a Corpsman does that still happen?

Offline JoeSBK

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2013, 11:31 »

I have looked into that, it requires requires 4 years of college I can't afford, HM could possibly also be another choice, but I'm interested in nuclear physics/engineering too, so it's not something I would hate to do.

Plus if I were to go medic route, I would probably go Ranger medic, I know alot of people that are medics over there, but they say it doesn't at all compare to being a doctor.

However I will probably do the medical school scholarship after I get my MD (theoretically), who knows! I might love the nuclear science enough to pursue that instead.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Re: Which to choose? MM EM ET (ELT?)/career options
« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 2013, 03:00 »
Have you spoken to a college financial aid counselor?

Also similar to ship selection, you cannot go into Army medic with a guarantee to be attached to the Rangers regiment. Instinctively I wouldn't think they'd even take first tour guys (similar to subs and HMs), but who knows.

Medic is essentially a field EMT. Yea it's quite a bit different from being a physician but a lot closer than cleaning bilges.

Offline JoeSBK

• Light User
Re: Re: Which to choose? MM EM ET (ELT?)/career options
« Reply #17 on: Oct 11, 2013, 04:06 »
Have you spoken to a college financial aid counselor?

Also similar to ship selection, you cannot go into Army medic with a guarantee to be attached to the Rangers regiment. Instinctively I wouldn't think they'd even take first tour guys (similar to subs and HMs), but who knows.

Medic is essentially a field EMT. Yea it's quite a bit different from being a physician but a lot closer than cleaning bilges.

I really don't want to end up with over 50k in debt because I had to take loans, and with having a GED comes with a loser/dropout stigma, so scholarships aren't really an option.

And about the Ranger medic, from what they say, with a good performance record and a airborne contract (BAC I think?) it's a pretty good chance I would end up Ranger, either way I'm pretty sure 68w's can get option 40 contracts, which is sorta hard to get, but I also know some recruiters and they are more than willing to help me out, But I really would like to go a more intellectual route, and Navy nukes (to me at least) seem to be brilliant.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2013, 04:10 by JoeSBK »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2013, 01:08 »
You want to be an MD, who make a min average of $180k/yr for pediatric and internal medicine and above $200k/yr for everything else, and you're sweating the undergrad loans to the point that you want to delay this goal by 6-8 years? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but good luck.

Offline JoeSBK

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Oct 12, 2013, 06:53 »
You want to be an MD, who make a min average of $180k/yr for pediatric and internal medicine and above $200k/yr for everything else, and you're sweating the undergrad loans to the point that you want to delay this goal by 6-8 years? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but good luck.

I could possibly do that, I don't think I would be able to pay off the debt in time though, you also have residency, which you only get paid 50k a year for 4 years, med school, plus college, adds up to around 230k, but not only that, it's 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, and 4 years residency. All while getting a job in the mean time is pretty hard, most people can't even work during med school due to intense studying, I'm not from a privileged family.

I'm talking to the college counselor on Monday, So I'll see what's feasible or not.

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2013, 07:19 by JoeSBK »

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2013, 07:40 »
Being an ELT has a lot of distractions as you are constantly being chased and adored by supermodels and hot actresses. Even now as an ex ELT Sofia Vergara refuses to leave me alone.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2013, 08:06 »
Being an ELT has a lot of distractions as you are constantly being chased and adored by supermodels and hot actresses. Even now as an ex ELT Sofia Vergara refuses to leave me alone.

I've been waiting four days for you to post truth as only you can post it,....

As always, it was worth the wait,.... [clap]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2013, 09:01 »
I was busy job hunting! But I knew it was my obligation to set everyone straight on this important matter!

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Re: Re: Which to choose? MM EM ET (ELT?)/career options
« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2013, 01:33 »
I could possibly do that, I don't think I would be able to pay off the debt in time though, you also have residency, which you only get paid 50k a year for 4 years, med school, plus college, adds up to around 230k, but not only that, it's 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, and 4 years residency. All while getting a job in the mean time is pretty hard, most people can't even work during med school due to intense studying, I'm not from a privileged family.

I'm talking to the college counselor on Monday, So I'll see what's feasible or not.
Yea it's a lot of schooling and you'll have some bills due at first, but as long as you don't use your new employment to buy a mercedes and million dollar estate you should be able to handle paying it off in under 10 years (including residency).

I'm just curious where you think being an enlisted nuke makes any of that stuff go away vice just putting it off for 6-8 years. It only gets harder as you get older, and if you're just in it for the GI bill for undergrad then pick a rating with only a 4 year commitment.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Re: Re: Which to choose? MM EM ET (ELT?)/career options
« Reply #24 on: Oct 13, 2013, 04:02 »
.....I'm just curious where you think being an enlisted nuke makes any of that stuff go away vice just putting it off for 6-8 years. It only gets harder as you get older, and if you're just in it for the GI bill for undergrad then pick a rating with only a 4 year commitment.

The OP should really heed those words,...

I've lost count of how many times I've cautioned this,...

Only go nuke if you want to be a nuke,....

If you want the GI Bill, or a twenty year career, or anything else then choose something else,...

Propay, bonuses, fast rate advancement, none of it, none of it, none of it will make you happy if you're miserable being a nuke,...

But if you like it, if you know you want to be in the propulsion department of a nuclear submarine by all means go for it, 'cause it's the only way you'll get there as an enlisted sailor,...

It ain't "beam me up Scotty" stuff, but it can be okay if that's your cup of tea,....

And the ELTs are the only ones privileged to be "Masters of Their Domain",... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?