Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Currently DEP for Navy Nuke can I do buds prep course honeypot

Author Topic: Currently DEP for Navy Nuke can I do buds prep course  (Read 14266 times)

Offline ChrisPy2014

• Very Lite User
Hello this is my first post :)

I'm currently in the DEP until June 6th when I will ship out to boot camp in Great Lakes, IL
and then I'm off the NNPTC in South Carolina. Was curious if there was a buds training prep
or other high intesity workout course I can partake in while I'm in 'A' school?

I'm aware that I can't go Seal since I'm a nuke but I'd like to see what if I have what it takes to
make it through even a prep course for the program.

any info would be greatly appreciated
thanks,
chris

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Currently DEP for Navy Nuke can I do buds prep course
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:04 »
I don't know if you'll make it as a nuke if you can't even look for the answers yourself. Here's what a quick search turned up:

http://navyseals.com/nsw/bud-s-basic-underwate-demolition-seal-training/
http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seals-buds-training-stges-overview.html#.Uvvvn9-YaM8
http://navybuds.com/

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:26 »
You'll probably be too busy with everything to do a BUDS prep course while in school unless they started offering something onsite (which they didn't do when I was there).  They do have a decent gym to workout in.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:54 »

I'm currently in the DEP until June 6th when I will ship out to boot camp in Great Lakes, IL
and then I'm off the NNPTC in South Carolina. Was curious if there was a buds training prep
No.

You're a nuke; the Navy has no reason to endorse you partaking in prospective SEAL workouts, which aren't as high intensity as you are imagining anyway. Your schedule in A school is going to be very controlled, and your primary job is learning your in-rate material.

A school classes PT every morning at Charleston, so just bust ass during that, maybe work out again in the evening on the base gym if you are so inclined and have the time.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2014, 11:44 »
I took and qualified under UDT preliminary screening in 1966.  (no SEALs then).  The UDT recruiter was excited at finding fresh meat until he found out I was a Nuke ET.

As it turned out there were more people in the Navy who could qualify for UDT then for RO training.

Use the gym and take care of yourself, and become the best Nuke you can be. 

Fulfill your contract...
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:50 »
I had a good enough PT score to go to Ranger School in  the Army. I put in  for Ranger School.  I got called in to my commanders office and was told we just spent 1 million dollars on you for college, Nuclear Biological Chemical Officer training.  Why do you want to go to Ranger School.  I told  him I wanted to be thebest Officer possible and when I stand in front of combat arms soldiers I want them to respect me with the Ranger Tab. I was told my gold bar was all I needed and you are not going to ranger school.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2014, 10:08 »

I'm aware that I can't go Seal since I'm a nuke but I'd like to see what if I have what it takes to
make it through even a prep course for the program.

any info would be greatly appreciated
thanks,
chris

Never heard of such a course much less one that can be done in your spare time. Buds and SEAL training is as much about mental training/toughness as it is physical so I doubt there is one. I suspect any training that would be equivalent to world class athlete would do for the physical side.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2014, 10:13 by Marlin »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2014, 10:29 »
50 quatloos against the newcomer

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:25 »
   Never heard of such a course much less one that can be done in your spare time. Buds and SEAL training is as much about mental training/toughness as it is physical so I doubt there is one. I suspect any training that would be equivalent to world class athlete would do for the physical side.
Local recruiters will do it for potential SEAL wannabes. You have a SEAL, EOD, or SWCC guy PT with the applicants. They'd go down to the beach on Wed morning and run a couple of miles, do some calisthenics in the sand, and go for a swim. It wasn't actually all that intense of a workout, just more of a motivational thing.

So again, being that OP is going to be active duty and not eligible for SEAL, I can't imagine why this would be formally endorsed by the CoC.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:31 »
Local recruiters will do it for potential SEAL wannabes. You have a SEAL, EOD, or SWCC guy PT with the applicants. They'd go down to the beach on Wed morning and run a couple of miles, do some calisthenics in the sand, and go for a swim. It wasn't actually all that intense of a workout, just more of a motivational thing.

So again, being that OP is going to be active duty and not eligible for SEAL, I can't imagine why this would be formally endorsed by the CoC.

Thanx

Offline ChrisPy2014

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:45 »
Thanks for all the replies I'll focus solely on being the best Nuke that I can at NNPTC. The Navy is spending a lot of money to send me to school for that training so I'll take it seriously and do my duty, which is to learn at that time.

I'll just try to add in workouts wherever I can to stay sharp and motivated.
thanks,
chris

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2014, 11:03 »
Good luck and keep that positive attitude.

Offline song of the south

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2014, 07:55 »

There are different recreational opportunities on base that might peek your interest. You can get your rifle qualifications, combat paintball and force on force(basically you shoot people with fake rounds in a place set up to look like a combat zone). I've yet to do any of those but I'm sure you can Google them and learn more. Also, there are a lot of dedicated athletes here who I'm sure would workout with you. There are two gyms on base (that I know of) both are free and one offers regular classes that you might like to attend. There are plenty of opportunities on base for you to get a high intensity workout, you'll just have to find the time to do them.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
Albert Einstein

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:24 »
The Navy is spending a lot of money to send me to school for that training so I'll take it seriously and do my duty, which is to learn at that time.

When I went through the training, it cost more and took longer to train an RO then a fighter pilot. (but I guess that all depends on how many airplanes a pilot trainee crashes)
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:38 »
There is always Navy Diver!  Sub nukes used to be allowed to be Navy Divers.  It is challanging and only one person on board my sub could pass the test.  Washout rates are high.  Get thru Nuke, get to a sub, then if it is still available go navy diver!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:02 »
I personally knew one Navy nuke MM/SS DV who eventually made it into the Special Boats,...

I would guess those are your odds,...

one in whatever number of dreaming outside the box sailors you can imagine,...

as an aside, the one I knew was top notch as a nuke first, qualified EWS before his 8 year mark, made E-7 at his 8 year, transferred into the boat community after he made E-7,...

I do not know how as I transferred from the SSN to the SSBN about the same time he transferred to the boats,...

And I was on a different career trajectory and not interested in getting into the boats,...

I do know he was not a SEAL, he may have wanted that and had to settle for boats, the problem with Navy nuke is the investment the Navy puts into you, if you want to keep your options open do not go nuke,....

Do not go nuke unless you want to be a nuke, and every day after that when you think it's too much tell yourself, "This is what I wanted."

Nukes get among the best enlistment and re-enlistment bonuses, pro pays and tend to advance quickly and earn more money sooner,...

That is because they earn it,...

Make more, work more,...

The money is never worth it if you do not want to be a nuke,...

There are lots of other vocations in the Navy that will allow you to serve, demand less, and give you a twenty or thirty year retirement just as well,...

Generally, as a nuke, you work harder, make more money, have better options at EAOS or retirement, and advance quicker,...

Because you are a "specialty", trying to work outside that specialty while in the Navy may not be encouraged, which does not make that aspiration impossible, you just need to line up your aspirations with the needs of the Navy and get your timing right,...

Like all things these are generalities, some slugs or self serving jackasses are in every program and every walk of life, including Navy nuke,...

It's your decision, you have to live with it,... [coffee]

The long bet is that the Navy is only going to open the door to something other than nuke if the Navy sees it as being better for the Navy,...

The only thing you can do in that paradigm is demonstrate that you are a sure bet for the Navy should the Navy open that door,...

BZ's general observation on Internet forums/threads etal, By the 5th post in any thread it starts drifting off topic. By 12 to 15 it has nothing to do with the original topic and if it surives to 30 or so it magically gets back on topic. This applies almost everywhere.

Mike
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2014, 08:37 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2014, 01:36 »
Was curious if there was a buds training prep

I remembered this thread when I saw this article not an option for someone in the pipeline (or for anyone outside of southern California) but informative.

U.S. Navy SEAL training flows into mainstream fitness

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/us-navy-seal-training-flows-into-mainstream-fitness?ocid=ansnews11

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2014, 04:07 »
Actually, he's not a nuke right now--nor anything else.  He's nothing until he's on the payroll (i.e., active or reserve).  Don't forget that fact should you decide to switch navy classifications or bow out of the service entirely before your report date--although the DEP is technically a contract, the DOD has official policies that allow de-DEPping w/o any repercussions.

Or, just abandon the nuke idea and go full out for BUDS if you're in such great shape.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2014, 04:15 by mars88 »

Offline ChrisPy2014

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Apr 27, 2014, 11:19 »
Thanks again for the posts, i'm glad this caught the eye of some people.

The main purpose of my question was essentially what kind of physical training was available at NNPTC, with a particular interest in seeing what it takes to even prepare to go to BUDS.
   I'm going to be a nuke in a few months, i'm dedicated and pretty excited honestly I really wanna start walking this path and excelling. I'm not interested in joining the SEALS as I don't feel apt to the job and to be honest I wouldn't make it through training.

Offline Adamdg51

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 11:22 »
This is probably a dumb question, but whats DEP?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 06:54 »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?