Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Question regarding bachelor's vs master's honeypot

Author Topic: Question regarding bachelor's vs master's  (Read 6333 times)

Offline FusionReaktor

• Lurker
Question regarding bachelor's vs master's
« on: Mar 01, 2014, 06:08 »
First, a little background. I am currently just about out the door in an Electrical Engineering bachelor's, specialized in Power Systems. However, as a kid I've always been interested in Nuclear Engineering and mostly settled into EE for lack of more options given it was almost exclusive to Navy schools or unaffordable universities. Now, I'm curious, is it worth getting a BS in NE online after I'm done with my BS in EE or should I just skip directly to an MS in NE? ...Man, so many acronyms.

Fermi2

Re: Question regarding bachelor's vs master's
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2014, 06:22 »
Yeah that online degree will surely help you out. Try this get a job

Offline geonuc

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2014, 06:37 »
I wouldn't recommend a BS in a second engineering field unless you simply want to learn the subject. A masters is more valuable, although even that doesn't seem to be a great benefit in landing an engineering job in the nuclear industry. The BSEE will get you hired.

drayer54

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2014, 07:51 »
This:
I wouldn't recommend a BS in a second engineering field unless you simply want to learn the subject. A masters is more valuable, although even that doesn't seem to be a great benefit in landing an engineering job in the nuclear industry. The BSEE will get you hired.

Not This:

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:25 »
Mine was dead on the best advice he will ever get

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2014, 07:59 »
I'm pretty sure more than a few of the engineers assigned to Nuclear Engineering at BFN didn't have NE degrees.  I know for a fact that at least one had a BSEE. 
Dave

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:20 »
NE buys you nothing when that BSEE can already make you the next shift manager at the generating station of your choosing, recruit!  Now go get an MBA and watch your career potential after burners really kick in  >:(

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:25 »
Masters wont do him any good at all at a Nuke. SRO license trumps it.

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:56 »
But an SRO with an MBA is destined for the ivory tower  O:)

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:19 »
Agree with the broad one--M.I.T. has an opening, and will train.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?