Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Finish the MOX Project

Author Topic: Finish the MOX Project  (Read 6585 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

TVA

Re: Finish the MOX Project
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2017, 08:21 »
Uh why?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2017, 08:38 »
Uh why?

won) two make green, ala recyclable, use of nuclear weapons materials.
too) won weigh to replace hour uranium oar sold two the Russians by an ex-secretary.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

TVA

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2017, 08:40 »
Lets see.
To test it would cost millions. Plutonium is one nasty fuel.
In order to use it a PWR would have to make roughly 30 million in mods
Changing the license would be roughly 75 million
Tech Specs around 10 million
PER UNIT.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2017, 09:44 »
Lets see.
To test it would cost millions. Plutonium is one nasty fuel.
In order to use it a PWR would have to make roughly 30 million in mods
Changing the license would be roughly 75 million
Tech Specs around 10 million
PER UNIT.

Yet 5% of new fuel internationally is MOX.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/nuclear-fuel-cycle/fuel-recycling/mixed-oxide-fuel-mox.aspx

BetaAnt

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2017, 01:17 »
Problems with the MOX project:
1. Design problems. Awarded a contract to contractor with no clear conceptual idea of an end state or criticality issues.
2. Hired in-bred hillbillies to build the plant.
3. Wrote the contract to award milestone bonuses ($ millions awarded for rework).
4. Billions $ over budget and seeking billions $ more to complete.
5. The plants that had agreed to use the fuel have backed out. MOX was to be completed and producing fuel five years ago. UTILITIES DO NOT LIKE UNCERTAINTIES.
6. Natural gas so cheap now. Why build a nuclear plant with all the regulatory headaches? People are short sighted.
7. Government should guarantee the loans for the new nuclear plants and design them to use the MOX fuel. This will force the MOX issue and bring new plants on line.
8. Fire the incompetent in-bred hillbillies designing and building MOX. End the milestone rewards program.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2017, 01:47 »
Yet 5% of new fuel internationally is MOX.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/nuclear-fuel-cycle/fuel-recycling/mixed-oxide-fuel-mox.aspx

Keeping in mind that 5% is concentrated in Europe and Japan with a smidgen in Russia and a pending market in China,...

So, for futures hedgers or speculators, the two best markets have made public commitments to get off the nuclear power plant teat as soon as practicable, or maybe even inpractable,....

the other two potential markets can make their own,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2017, 06:00 »
Keeping in mind that 5% is concentrated in Europe and Japan with a smidgen in Russia and a pending market in China,...

So, for futures hedgers or speculators, the two best markets have made public commitments to get off the nuclear power plant teat as soon as practicable, or maybe even inpractable,....

the other two potential markets can make their own,...

True, but if it is too expensive and difficult to use how do other countries manage? Not to mention the cost of disposal of the plutonium. We pay for it one way or another Why not export? Yes I know SRS MOX is way over on cost.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2017, 07:15 »
True, but if it is too expensive and difficult to use how do other countries manage? Not to mention the cost of disposal of the plutonium. We pay for it one way or another Why not export? Yes I know SRS MOX is way over on cost.

I discern the answer is too expensive and difficult in this country, for the regulatory hurdles already described,...

no sense to build a business model on exports when that market is going away by offshore governments fiat,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2017, 08:32 »
I discern the answer is too expensive and difficult in this country, for the regulatory hurdles already described,...

Yet another nuclear technology we can't compete in. Very sad but it does not look good for SRS MOX plant.

no sense to build a business model on exports when that market is going away by offshore governments fiat,...

I don't agree here there are a number of plants overseas that are being built or planned to be built to take MOX made in the UK, France, and Russia. We will have to dispose of our stock of excess plutonium when Yucca (?) is finished.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2017, 08:34 by Marlin »

TVA

« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2017, 09:39 »
So Marlin what is your design, operations and international experience? Let me guess. None.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2017, 09:49 »
So Marlin what is your design, operations and international experience? Let me guess. None.

I can read for comprehension how about you. How many power plants have you designed. What is your experience in international economics.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2017, 08:06 »
in-bred hillbillies
yew say that like it's a bad thing... mitey insensitive!

Chimera

« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2017, 08:14 »
Okay guys.  Zip up and put the rulers away.  You not only went off topic, you derailed the whole train.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2017, 08:16 »
build mox project in a professional manner, knot government pork.
build mox reactors two provide escape velocity fore spacecraft using rail gun application.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2017, 08:19 »
Okay guys.  Zip up and put the rulers away.  You not only went off topic, you derailed the whole train.
zip up, rulers, train....
ware are yew going hear?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2017, 05:52 »

Moderating the moderator  +K   ;)

TVA

« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2017, 06:35 »
Well I did work on the MOX analysis and Licensing for TVA..

BetaAnt

« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2017, 07:35 »
I remember the Fast Flux Project at INEL in the 1980's and killed in the 90's by Hazel O.

The concept was an actinide burning reactor that would consume transuranics. Bombarding TRU to increase number and mass to the point of spontaneous fission (making short lived fission fragments).

It could have created a pathway to eliminate TRU and the long term waste problem.

Anyone have any more info on the FF project?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2017, 07:50 »
I remember the Fast Flux Project at INEL in the 1980's and killed in the 90's by Hazel O.

The concept was an actinide burning reactor that would consume transuranics. Bombarding TRU to increase number and mass to the point of spontaneous fission (making short lived fission fragments).

It could have created a pathway to eliminate TRU and the long term waste problem.

Anyone have any more info on the FF project?

BetaAnt

« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2017, 09:56 »
It would be a MOX burner.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?