Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Linear Energy Transfer and Neutrons
honeypot

Author Topic: Linear Energy Transfer and Neutrons  (Read 6597 times)

Offline Atombob

• Light User
  • "Don't eat the dirt"
Linear Energy Transfer and Neutrons
« on: Feb 11, 2005, 01:54 »

It is my understanding that the concept of L.E.T. relates to the ammount of energy deposited in an absorber by a  charged particle (ie..alpha/beta/positron).

Although on page91 of Gollnick 4th ed. LET is used to describe the effect of neutron dose. Last time I checked neutrons were not charged particles.

Another thing does anyone know of a threshold dose for genetic mutations?
"I am just an atom in an ectoplasmic sea without a direction or a reason to exist. The anechoic  nebula rotating in my brain is persuading me contritely to persist"

Offline pm79

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Linear Energy Transfer and Neutrons
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2005, 08:00 »
I believe when referring to LET and neutrons, indirectly ionizing particles, they are referring to the energy deposited by the charged particles produced when neutrons do interact with a material as well as the secondary ionizations caused by these charged particles.  Someone might want to back me up on this though.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: Linear Energy Transfer and Neutrons
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2005, 11:05 »
pmoodie is correct specifically LET is defined as " A measure of the ability of biological material to absorb ionizing radiation; specifically, for charged particles traversing a medium, the energy lost per unit length of path as a result of those collisions with electrons in which the energy loss is less than a specified maximum value. A similar quantity may be defined for photons."

Not sure what you are looking for as as a threshold dose for genetic mutation but BEIR V estimates that at least 100 RAD of low dose rate low LET radiation is required to double spontaneous mutation ratio in man.
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?