Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Energy Agency Rejects Trump Bid to Boost Coal, Nuclear Power honeypot

Author Topic: Energy Agency Rejects Trump Bid to Boost Coal, Nuclear Power  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
An independent energy agency on Monday rejected a Trump administration plan to bolster coal-fired and nuclear power plants, dealing a blow to President Donald Trump's efforts to boost the struggling coal industry.

The decision by the Republican-controlled Federal Energy Regulatory Commission was unexpected and comes amid repeated promises by Trump to revive coal as the nation's top power source. The industry has been besieged by multiple bankruptcies and a steady loss of market share as natural gas and renewable energy flourish.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2018-01-08/energy-panel-rejects-trump-bid-to-boost-coal-nuclear-power

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
   Mixed feeling about this one. I support nuclear power as part of the future energy mix but supporting an old school nuclear industry backed by the self interest of traditional nuclear companies that will not fit a future grid's needs is throwing away money. The argument that nuclear and coal have a fit into the grid because of on site fuel creating a more reliable power source was kind of slapped down when Pilgrim went down when needed in a cold snap because of circumstances beyond it's control when power lines needed for safe operation to the plant were lost.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
"The argument that nuclear and coal have a fit into the grid because of on site fuel creating a more reliable power source was kind of slapped down when Pilgrim went down when needed in a cold snap because of circumstances beyond it's control when power lines needed for safe operation to the plant were lost"

Pilgrim lost power from one of two 345 kV Lines. Not sure why they shutdown, they still had offsite power available. We wouldn't have shutdown in this situation. Prepare the diesels and protect the available offsite power train. Either they have some crazy Tech Specs or somebody in upper management was, IMO too conservative.......or pressured from outside sources. Its a shame.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
"The argument that nuclear and coal have a fit into the grid because of on site fuel creating a more reliable power source was kind of slapped down when Pilgrim went down when needed in a cold snap because of circumstances beyond it's control when power lines needed for safe operation to the plant were lost"

Pilgrim lost power from one of two 345 kV Lines. Not sure why they shutdown, they still had offsite power available. We wouldn't have shutdown in this situation. Prepare the diesels and protect the available offsite power train. Either they have some crazy Tech Specs or somebody in upper management was, IMO too conservative.......or pressured from outside sources. Its a shame.

This article is not specific but cites the loss of the lines as the reason.

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,44571.0.html

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Would this condition put you in an LCO? As an outsider with some SA experience sequential accidents are the ones to avoid, wouldn't loss of a line and severe weather present an uncommon initial condition.

Just my  [2cents] and bit of curiosity.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2018, 03:14 by Marlin »

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
According to Operations, no shutdown LCO with the loss of "one" offsite power source.  Shutdown LCO's have always been confusing to me. Example. You have 1 out of 2 RHR trains unavailable for longer than 7 days you must (unless you get the extension paperwork approved in time) shutdown. Now, because you're shutdown, you must rely on that one train to remove decay heat. If the plant is running, you don't have to worry about removing decay heat. In my brain, the safer route would be to keep the plant running while you work to get the 2nd RHR train operable. 

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
The Utility Dive article makes it sound like the reason was load rejection (which caused us to SCRAM last winter), but, unless the NRC report is wrong, it was indeed the loss of 1 of 2 offsite power lines.

Power coming in lines are not the same as power going out lines.

mjd

Totally agree.  I'd really like to know why they actually almost immediately S/D, manually after a power reduction.  They had one 345 KV and a lower voltage line still available. I can't find their T.S. on line. I'm guessing it was a pre-determined (procedural) course of action decided in advance. Maybe related to regulatory problems encountered a couple years ago from equipment problems during successive trips from full power, including load rejections. May have decided to avoid that at all cost. I agree (barring strange T.S) the decision to S/D was strange.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
I blame those guys with the E Plan!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Well TVA?  This is something you SHOULD be commenting on.  You are actually an expert in this case.  How about some help?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?