Career Path > Nuclear Operator

SRO Life Balance

(1/4) > >>

Jimbo32:
I'm thinking about putting my hat in the ring for instant SRO. I'm an engineer with about 9 years of experience, 7 at my plant. I was asked to go into ops a few years ago, and I turned it down because it wasn't what I wanted at the time.

Now I'm thinking about it again. I don't have any problems with the duties/responsibilities of SRO; my primary dilemma is the impact on my wife and kids (3 kids under 6). We have 5 crews, and the ops schedule is a 35 day rotation, 12 hour shifts switching between days and nights. Does this mess with your family? My wife is concerned about losing normalcy and being on a weird schedule that doesn't align with a 5 day work week. I think it will take some getting used to, but it seems like we might just have a new normal.

So what are your thoughts? Is SRO something you'd recommend for someone with a young family?

TVA:
I did it and would do it all over again.

tolstoy:
Every SRO I know has given their life to the company store. Not that that is always bad. But it's always true.

GLW:

--- Quote from: tolstoy on Feb 08, 2018, 06:25 ---Every SRO I know has given their life to the company store. Not that that is always bad. But it's always true.

--- End quote ---

every former SRO (hell, even the ones with the "equivalency diploma") that I know in the DnD world is doing quite well for themselves, and their families,...

so, the conjecture would be that even after leaving the "company store", that SRO is worth the investment,...

8)

TVA:

--- Quote from: tolstoy on Feb 08, 2018, 06:25 ---Every SRO I know has given their life to the company store. Not that that is always bad. But it's always true.

--- End quote ---

Are you or have you ever been an SRO?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version