Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Visitors at Charleston honeypot

Author Topic: Visitors at Charleston  (Read 5789 times)

Paladin

Visitors at Charleston
« on: Feb 18, 2005, 09:59 »
I was a Quartermaster on the USS Daniel Webster back in the Seventies. My son is currently in Boot Camp (graduates March 18), and will be going to Charleston for Nuclear school for the next couple of years after that.

I recently learned that the Webster is now being used as a dockside trainer at Charleston. Does anyone know if the general public is allowed to tour this facility? My family and I will undoubtedly visit Charleston occasionally while my son is there, and I would love to show them my old boat.

Flooznie

Re: Visitors at Charleston
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2005, 11:43 »
I went to prototype on the Webster back in 1998.  It is not even the same boat anymore.  The front of the boat is all office spaces, and the engine room, though modified,  is restricted.  You need a security badge to even get into the site, so I don't think you would be allowed to tour the boat. 

ET1 (SS)

taterhead

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2005, 04:14 »
I went to prototype on the Webster back in 1998.  It is not even the same boat anymore.  The front of the boat is all office spaces, and the engine room, though modified,  is restricted.  You need a security badge to even get into the site, so I don't think you would be allowed to tour the boat. 

ET1 (SS)

concur-

I would call your chances somewhere around slim to none, slim having left town.

Paladin

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2005, 07:56 »
Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have expected that, but who would have thought that making hot water would be all that secretive, eh?  ;)

ODiesel

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2005, 04:49 »
You can get as far as the parking lot if you have a valid military ID or are with someone who does. From there you can see the two boats, but getting on the other side of the security fence isn't going to happen without a clearance and a good reason.

newnavynuke

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2005, 05:45 »
That's funny about the making hot water being secretive! LOL  I have an offshoot of that question though...can friends and family come to visit in Charleston, and if so will I have enough spare time to even make it worth their while, or should I just say at RTC graduation okay guys see you in a year or so?

I've been wondering this for a while.

-Bryan

taterhead

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2005, 12:15 »
You will get a 4 day weekend once every few weeks.

There will be time.

Alot of it depends on you.

Taylor (MMC)

badger

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2005, 08:36 »
A School- Typical students work 13+ hours a day with 2-4 hour days on saturday and sunday. The only time most people I know didnt go in for a day would be the middle of a 3 or 4 day weekend. A-school was like a slap in the face with a 2x4

Power School- Typical students work 14+ hours a day with 4 hour days on saturday and sunday. Again, the only time most people I know didnt go in for a day would be the middle of a 3 or 4 day weekend. Powerschool was like realizing that what you thought was a 2x4 was actually a toothpick. The real 2x4 hits you here.

Prototype- Though my experiences are limited to the S8G prototype in NY, my friends at Charleston agree with me. Prototype isn't bad for going places and enjoying life. You work 12 hour rotating shifts with a 1.5 day weekend after swingshift, 3 day weekend after midshift, 2 day weekend after dayshift, and a 4 day weekend after 'training week' shift.

You personally should be able to get as far as the cafeteria and activity complex on the NNPTC site with a valid military ID. I defer to the above posts for the prototype security. Your son has about a 50/50 chance of being stationed in NY for prototype. He'll live out in town (ditto for charleston) but you will have zero chance of getting on (or sneaking, for that matter) the Ballston Spa prototype site. The security guards here take their jobs -way- too seriously.. Not long ago I had a rifle drawn on me because I forgot to take my kimwipes out of my pocket before going home. "FREEZE! YOURE STEALING GOVERNMENT PROPERTY! MOVE TO THE WALL!" *grumblegrumble*

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?