Career Path > Getting in

Diablo Canyon NLO- Good Place to start??

<< < (3/4) > >>

scotoma:
I wasn't an operator, but I worked at three nukes that shutdown. The job is posted as NLO because that is a position that already exists. The plants will not be shutdown until 2024 and 2025. That is 5 years or so, so you will probably be given all the initial training, classroom and OJT. That may take up to 2 years or so. Then you will be an NLO for 2 or 3 years and learn the plant, surveillances, tagging, procedures, etc. If there is an RO class, it will be filled by those who are already NLOs. After S/D, Most of the nuclear safety requirements go away, and layoffs begin. It may be based on seniority, job performance, or favoritism depending on the plant organization. NLOs become equipment operators and SROs become Control Room monitors. If you go to another nuke, it won't be in CA. You will have to go through their training program and then learn the new plant. My guess is that if you start at Diablo, you may eventually get to RO class in 10 years at the earliest, providing you transition directly from Diablo to a new plant and start their training program at hire. If you start at a plant that has a future, it could be 5-6 years if you are a top performer, get high grades, show excellent judgement, and don't cause any career ending events. If you look at the minimum time requirements, it looks a lot shorter than this, but it would be very difficult to get on the requirements done because you would be on shift and the activities may not be scheduled on your watch. Getting fast tracked may be your goal, but the more time working in the plant working with others, learning the equipment, work arounds, etc. will make you a better SRO in the long run. Your most valuable asset is your relationship with others.

hamsamich:
Oh good post Scotoma...you know...most of that information was already out there...I can't believe you would put info out that was already out there!  I'm sure you will get jumped on by the local troll....for the record.

TVA:

--- Quote from: Brett LaVigne on Dec 10, 2019, 08:50 ---Gee, that was helpful.

--- End quote ---

Most helpful thing he will ever get

TVA:

--- Quote from: scotoma on Dec 10, 2019, 10:58 ---I wasn't an operator, but I worked at three nukes that shutdown. The job is posted as NLO because that is a position that already exists. The plants will not be shutdown until 2024 and 2025. That is 5 years or so, so you will probably be given all the initial training, classroom and OJT. That may take up to 2 years or so. Then you will be an NLO for 2 or 3 years and learn the plant, surveillances, tagging, procedures, etc. If there is an RO class, it will be filled by those who are already NLOs. After S/D, Most of the nuclear safety requirements go away, and layoffs begin. It may be based on seniority, job performance, or favoritism depending on the plant organization. NLOs become equipment operators and SROs become Control Room monitors. If you go to another nuke, it won't be in CA. You will have to go through their training program and then learn the new plant. My guess is that if you start at Diablo, you may eventually get to RO class in 10 years at the earliest, providing you transition directly from Diablo to a new plant and start their training program at hire. If you start at a plant that has a future, it could be 5-6 years if you are a top performer, get high grades, show excellent judgement, and don't cause any career ending events. If you look at the minimum time requirements, it looks a lot shorter than this, but it would be very difficult to get on the requirements done because you would be on shift and the activities may not be scheduled on your watch. Getting fast tracked may be your goal, but the more time working in the plant working with others, learning the equipment, work arounds, etc. will make you a better SRO in the long run. Your most valuable asset is your relationship with others.

--- End quote ---

Huh?

hamsamich:
"Most helpful thing he will ever get"  reminds me of somebody from a very funny movie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version