Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu External regulation at DOE labs

Author Topic: External regulation at DOE labs  (Read 9754 times)

Offline volfireman07

• Light User
External regulation at DOE labs
« on: Feb 23, 2005, 03:05 »
H.R. 755 dated February 10, 2005 has been introduced in the House.  The bill is to provide for the external regulation of nuclear and occupational safety and health responsibilities at any nonmilitary energy laboratory owned or operated by the Department of Energy.  Effective 2 years after the date of enactment, the DOE will have no regulatory or enforcement authority with respect to nuclear safety and occupational safety and health.  The NRC and federal OSHA will assume the enforcement responsibilities.

Includes:
Ames;
Argonne;
Brookhaven;
Fermi;
Lawrence Berkeley;
ORNL;
PNNL;
PPPL;
Stanford Linear Accelerator; and
Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator

Offline volfireman07

• Light User
Re: External regulation at DOE labs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2005, 12:57 »
All I have is the bill text - only 5 pages of it.  Basically its just says the NRC and OSHA will have authority and must submit a plan with letters of understanding.  I am looking for more information. 

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2005, 03:47 »
There is no easy answer to this. It is the result of a long study/aduit conducted at these sites mandated by congress (I took part in some of these) to turn the enforcement responsibilities over to the NRC and OSHA. My take on it is a consolidation of responsibilities. Basicalliy why have multiple agencys doing the same thing?
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline volfireman07

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2005, 07:39 »
I know that OSHA conducted their audits of the labs in 2003.  The labs are still working to fix all of the identified violations.  They are supposed to be finished in June.  DOE is funding the corrective actions.  I was told that OSHA is going to come back sometime after June to look at the sites again.  I think that external regulation will make the operations a lot safer.  Self regulation is good, but extenal is better as far as compliance goes.   

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2005, 09:45 »
You have inadvertantly touched on it when you said that the labs were still working on correcting violations from the audits done in 2003. However they were not really cited as violations because they audits themselves were done not as a typical enforcement type thing. They were more of an advirsory type of assist visit.

I think that all DOE sites would benefit from outside regulation. Although, I'm not sure what would happen, we will get a flavor for it as it begins at the labs. I think that it may be the future for all the DOE sites.

BTW, the audits took place in both 2003 and 2004.
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2005, 09:09 »
As I recall in reading and talking with folks - the main "problem" with external regulation was the complexity of the ugliness of the whole transition process and the job loss issue.  Under one consolidated system - less people are nbeeded to regulate - its like a merger.  Congress would have to cough up the bucks to make it happen.
Decomm Man

97txaggie

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2005, 05:04 »
We went through these complimentary walk throughs at my facility in '03 I believe.  We had quite a few findings from the OSHA folks.  To me, it seems pretty plain and simple that OSHA and NRC should have regulatory authority over DOE.  You are correct that it will most likely cause some jobs to be lost, but in the long run I definitely think it is the right way to go.

halflifer

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2005, 06:34 »
Would this result in DOE's assuming a management posture and eliminate the current system of tiered contractors and subs? If so, I think a lot of administrative people would be out even if the current 'worker' populations at these facilities remained constant. Additionally, if DOE took over management of their facilities, would the employees at the facilities become federal employees and if so, how would issues such as VRA and Veteran's Preference be handled?
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2005, 06:38 by halflifer »

radgal

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2005, 09:53 »
I don't think management of the sites would change that much.  Wouldn't it just be that they have to following NRC and OSHA guidelines instead of DOE Orders?

alphadude

« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2005, 11:59 »
think about this for a second.. you want the regulators to regulate the regulators???? 

OSHA and NRC rules are somewhat subject to lobby and public opinion. this is not something you would want an agency such as DOE to be subject too. OSHA and NRC rules are basically designed to manage the public sector. there is a new ruling that would subject the DOE to OSHA type requirements, but not subject to OSHA control. so there is some improvement coming.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2005, 12:19 »
Actually I think having NRC oversight at DOE complexes is a good thing. As it stands now, you have the DOE regulating themselves, which makes you wonder how well they want to find their own houses in violation. While they (NRC & DOE) are both governmental agencies the NRC is not running any DOE facilities so they have no vested interest; therefore are better suited as an objective observer. OSHA however may be a different story. It is very hard to conform to ALL OSHA standards, IMHO. There is however room for a lot of improvement.

alphadude

« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2005, 02:00 »
I think its apples and oranges. NRC watching weapons is not such a good thing, let them watch commerce and besides it would just make another beast like the DOE. Is the real issue here that the DOE orders and regs are lacking? Is it enforcement?

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2005, 02:28 »
I think it is a matter of enforcement. Remember that 835 is basically 10CFR20 (which is where it came from). However, the enforcement of it, seems to get a little iffy. That is; there appears to be a lot of "gray" areas in the DOE as opposed to the NRC view of black and white. This of course is strictly my opinion. I could be wrong.

alphadude

« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2005, 03:11 »
I think you are right.  It takes a mini disaster to get their attention.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?