Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker Menu What Qualifies as CHP Experience?

Author Topic: What Qualifies as CHP Experience?  (Read 896 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CHP2B

  • Lurker
  • Posts: 1
  • Total likes: 0
  • Karma: 0
  • Tell Recruiters to use
What Qualifies as CHP Experience?
« on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:32 »
I graduated with a BS in Radiation Health Physics in 2015. Since, I have been working full-time as a Radiological Engineer for a nuke company that is in the design phase (i.e. no reactor built yet). Work includes:

- meteorological data analysis
- source term calculation and analysis
- radiation dose analysis
- shielding analysis
- reg guide compliance
- accident radiological methodology development
- software development for radiological codes
- etc.

Would six years of this work suffice for the experience requirement to take the CHP exam? It would be generally useful to know how strict the board is with respect to what qualifies as health physics, with the field being rather broad.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2020, 11:37 by CHP2B »

Offline Rennhack

Re: What Qualifies as CHP Experience?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2020, 02:10 »

An applicant must have at least six years of responsible professional experience in health physics as of 1 July of the year in which the examination is to be taken. At least three years of the experience must have been in applied health physics. The six years of professional experience, which must be documented by an applicant for Part II of the exam, must be experience that demonstrates that the candidate has been required to exercise judgment in one, or more, of the following:

    establishment and/or evaluation of a radiation protection program
    design and/or the evaluation of the design of the radiation protection aspects of a facility
    design and implementation of a radiation protection training course or program
    development of an experimental and/or measurement program designed to answer questions related to radiation protection
    evaluation of measurement data
    analysis and solution of radiation protection problems
    preparation, interpretation and implementation of recommendations and regulations.

At the discretion of the Board, advanced degrees in health physics or a closely related area of study may be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required experience. A master's degree may be substituted for one year, while a doctoral degree may be substituted for two years of the required experience. Technician-level experience will in no case be acceptable as meeting the experience requirements.

An applicant may claim professional experience for an advanced degree and work experience for the same period. A maximum of one year of experience can be claimed for each calendar year.

It is incumbent upon the applicant to demonstrate that he/she has met the criteria for professional experience stated above. Professional experience is generally considered to be acquired after earning a qualifying degree. However, the Board recognizes there may be cases where individuals are working at a professional level prior to completing the requirements for a qualifying degree.
Yes.  6 years of what you stated would satisfy the the requirements.


NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of ™, LLC © 1996-2021 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?