Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker Menu Navy will give you money for college?

Author Topic: Navy will give you money for college?  (Read 3906 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Guest
Navy will give you money for college?
« on: Mar 16, 2005, 06:39 »
Hi, my son is a Nuke on USS Theodore Roosevelt  I have been following  the forum and some said it will cost a lot to go and get an Engineering Degree, $20,000?  I though the Navy gave them money to help continue their education.  That is one of the reason he joined to so he could get money towards a college degree.  What am I not understanding?  How does it work?


  • Guest
Re: Navy will give you money for college?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2005, 09:13 »
The Navy has several programs that will either pay or supplement payment for college tuition.

Tuition Assistance is available to every sailor.  Currently, TA pays for 12 credit hours per fiscal year with a $3000 annual cap.

If your son took the GI Bill, which most every sailor does, he can apply for and use it after he has served 36 months consecutive duty.  GI Bill will pay up to $985.00 per month to be used toward college tuition.  I believe the GI Bill is up to about 36,000 in total benefits.

TA cannot be used in conjunction with the GI Bill anymore, since TA is 100%.

There is also the Navy College Fund, if taken as an enlistment bonus.  It also pays a monthly stipend while in classes to supplement GI Bill.

I use my TA up every year, then use GI Bill funds to pay for any other classes I plan to take.

His Chain of Command and ESO should have all of this information for him. 

Taylor (MMC)
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2005, 09:24 by taterhead »

Offline tigger

  • Moderate User
  • ***
  • Posts: 50
  • Total likes: 0
  • Karma: 63
  • Tell Recruiters to use
Re: Navy will give you money for college?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2005, 09:19 »
I believe the GI Bill is up to $1000+ some now. I was just looking up the rates, but forgot the exact number. They up it every year.
You have 10 years after discharge to use it. And it is good for 36 months of use. You can start and stop, then go back again as long as it is in the 10 year time frame.
If your son is still on active duty, going through TA then using the GI bill would be the most economical way to go about it.


NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of ™, LLC © 1996-2021 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?