Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A Half-Century of Reliability: Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant honeypot

Author Topic: A Half-Century of Reliability: Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant  (Read 228 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
I did a number of outages there in the late 70s and early 80s it was one of the cleanest best run plants I had been to at the time.

A Half-Century of Reliability: Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant

https://www.powermag.com/a-half-century-of-reliability-calvert-cliffs-nuclear-power-plant/

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Where it all started for me in 1997.....also happened to be the outage where the diver tried to huge a fuel assembly in the SFP.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
I did a number of outages there in the late 70s and early 80s it was one of the cleanest best run plants I had been to at the time.

A Half-Century of Reliability: Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant

https://www.powermag.com/a-half-century-of-reliability-calvert-cliffs-nuclear-power-plant/
I was thinking the same thing... we arrived on the same day (July 5, 1979 I think.)

After leaving in 1981, I returned in 1989 and stayed until then end of 2003... went house in 1992. Being the closest plant to Washington, D.C. meant we had a lot of foreign visitors, so they kept the place looking very nice. I forget how many acres of Wildlife Preserve they had but it was alot including Camp Canoy, the old Boy Scout Camp. Full of eagles, turkeys, deer (including a population of albino deer) and too many others to name.  The meeting room high on a hill overlooking Chesapeake Bay made it hard to pay attention. The Cliffs full of Megalodon teeth that would expose museum quality fossils every time a piece eroded away. Not to mention it was an hour from home.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
I was thinking the same thing... we arrived on the same day (July 5, 1979 I think.)

After leaving in 1981, I returned in 1989 and stayed until then end of 2003... went house in 1992. Being the closest plant to Washington, D.C. meant we had a lot of foreign visitors, so they kept the place looking very nice. I forget how many acres of Wildlife Preserve they had but it was alot including Camp Canoy, the old Boy Scout Camp. Full of eagles, turkeys, deer (including a population of albino deer) and too many others to name.  The meeting room high on a hill overlooking Chesapeake Bay made it hard to pay attention. The Cliffs full of Megalodon teeth that would expose museum quality fossils every time a piece eroded away. Not to mention it was an hour from home.

Your memory is better than mine. July 5, 1979!!! Yes the proximity was a plus for me too we could pick one museum in the Smithsonian to visit for a weekend. Lorie's favorite artist is Georgia O’Keeffe and one time the Modern Art museum had a wing full of her paintings. Another time the Natural History museum had a wing dedicated to first ladies dresses (ho-hum) Lorie loved that one, I on the other hand liked the bug zoo there that was on display at the same time.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Your memory is better than mine. July 5, 1979!!! Yes the proximity was a plus for me too we could pick one museum in the Smithsonian to visit for a weekend. Lorie's favorite artist is Georgia O’Keeffe and one time the Modern Art museum had a wing full of her paintings. Another time the Natural History museum had a wing dedicated to first ladies dresses (ho-hum) Lorie loved that one, I on the other hand liked the bug zoo there that was on display at the same time.
I love that bug zoo. I was there once when one of the Entomologists was handling a huge Tarantula and it started to get away from her. She asked an intern working there to help, but he had a Giant Cockroach in his hand. He tried to hand me the cockroach (it was about 6 inches long) but I told him I would rather grab the Tarantula. They didn't want me doing that because apparently they are very delicate. I was not to upset about not getting the opportunity..
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?