Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu BRAC 2005 Prototype Closure [Merged]

Author Topic: BRAC 2005 Prototype Closure [Merged]  (Read 29622 times)

tota1pkg

BRAC 2005 Prototype Closure [Merged]
« on: Dec 05, 2004, 01:33 »
i just heard that one of the prototype reactors is getting shut down and they will be sending most of the people to new york.

is this at all true?

Handgimp

Re: prototype closing, rumors or true?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2004, 12:47 »
i just heard that one of the prototype reactors is getting shut down and they will be sending most of the people to new york.

is this at all true?

I don't remember the total distribution offhand, but in my class (0406) 7 EMs had to switch from NY to SC, and 7 ETs had to switch from SC to NY. Don't know about the MMs.

CharlieRock

« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2004, 07:01 »
Not true.  For the next several years at least both NPTUs will be up and running at full capacity.  It is sometimes necessary to shift the student load around if a plant is going to have a long maintenance shutdown.

oldtimer

« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2004, 07:21 »
They sent me to NY in 1965

Chelios

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2004, 12:08 »
This is all top secret...well maybe not top secret, but confidential. Anyhow, you have to go to the local bars if you really want to know the straight skinny. Our politicians in NY are committed to keep the prototype running. They can't handle the full load of students, so some will go to fleet prototypes. Longl live 8G!

ETNuclearSailor

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2004, 08:34 »
Is it confidential whenever a plant goes into an extended maintenance period?

Offline dave99

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2004, 10:38 »
Back in 73-74 they had two prototypes running (S3G & D1G) and  MARF in testing. They were just building S8G. It was a Great place to learn and have fun! I hope they never close for the sake of future navy nukes.. 

ODiesel

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2004, 05:05 »
As said in a previous post it is necessary to shutdown a plant for a period of time(usually a month) in order to complete maintenance which cannot be done while steaming. Its hard to replace a bearing when a machine is spinning at 3000rpm!!!

Each student will experiance a maintenance shutdown of one form or another while at prototype. Its hard to get checkouts during a shutdown, so my advice to all would be to stay far ahead of the curve so the shutdown won't affect you that much.

Every few years(Not sure exactly), or as required, an extended shutdown occurs, making it necessary to send more students to other prototypes. This type of shutdown involves the boat being towed to a shipyard(Norfolk for example) or shipyard workers coming to the boat to perform extensive maintenance which could not be completed in a normal shutdown. Since we are not steaming, students arent standing watch, therefore, students can't qualify on the plant.

If anyone has any questions, post them. I'm happy to help.

EM2 O'D
NPTU Charleston

taterhead

BRAC 2005 to include Ballston Spa?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2004, 09:38 »
At this point it's all speculation, but there are lots of folks out there getting intel on which bases are most likely to get the ax come next spring/summer.

Snipped from the article I just read:

Saratoga Springs Naval Support Unit, New York (includes Ballston Spa, Scotia) - This small, inland base was overlooked in previous base closure rounds.  Nuclear power training can be consolidated in Charleston since the number of nuclear powered subs has been cut, while the regional recruiting office can move to any Navy base along the New England coast.  A Los Angeles class submarine scheduled for early decommissioning may be added to Charleston to provide a third reactor for training.

halflifer

Re: BRAC 2005 to include Ballston Spa?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2004, 06:49 »
Do they have prototypes in the Charleston area? Is George's still just outside the gate at W Milton?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2004, 10:41 »
In my time, it was called the Scuttlebutt.  We used to stop in after afternoon shifts, and have "cartoon kegger's" on Saturday mornings after midnight shifts.  Nothing like beer to make the Smurfs seem to be actually funny.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2004, 11:45 »
Lots of funding going into decommissioning and env activities at various naval reactor sites - in fact it ranges from about $50-80 M USD going back to about 1996 or so through this FY.  This is for work at Bettis, Knolls, INL, Windsor and Kesselring sites.  Far and away above just dismantling some of the old protypes, but in the case of Windsor site I believe its to demolish like some 26 or more structures.
Decomm Man

halflifer

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2004, 08:28 »
In my time, it was called the Scuttlebutt.  We used to stop in after afternoon shifts, and have "cartoon kegger's" on Saturday mornings after midnight shifts.  Nothing like beer to make the Smurfs seem to be actually funny.

we used to do the 'cartoon keggers' too, but in those days (mid '70s) it was Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner.
whatever the name, it probably ought to be preserved as a 'National Nuclear Historical Landmark'

CharlieRock

« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2004, 12:22 »
An important item to consider is that the Ballston Spa site (KSO) is actually DOE (NR) property - not the Navy's.  The NPTU there is on-site but the site is run and owned by NR (through KAPL), so NPTU acts more like a tenant command.  This is in contrast to Chaleston where the Navy owns the whole thing and Bettis provides training support.  BRAC could close Scotia but can't truly close Ballston Spa (though I guess they could eliminate family housing).  NR really has a hard spot with BRAC after they were promised that NTC Orlando would not be eliminated (only scaled back) and then they were caught slightly unawares when they had to move NPS.

ODiesel

« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2004, 09:56 »
Do they have prototypes in the Charleston area?

Yes, there are 2 S5W submarines at NPTU (Nuclear Power Training Unit) Charleston, the MTS-635 (formerly USS Sam Raburn SSBN-635) and MTS-626 (formerly USS Daniel Webster SSBN-626).

Click below for an overhead view of the site. The 626 is on the left. http://www.ssbn635.org/pictures/ssbn635_charleston_ariel1.jpg

taterhead

« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2004, 03:44 »
I played that golf course many times, and take my advice, watch out for the gators around the waterline or laying in the fairway.

Offline johnigma

• Light User
  • keep on shimming, keep on shiiiiming!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2004, 07:49 »
I'm a Staff Pickup at NPTU Charleston and this is the very first I've heard of moving a new sub here.

Not that that would be a bad thing...  These boats have seen much MUCH better days.
girls are pretty

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2004, 02:23 »
so, if we are in a War on Terror worth stop-loss orders and keeping National Guardsmen for a year or more at a time, why close ANY more base?  ::)

taterhead

« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2004, 03:54 »
so, if we are in a War on Terror worth stop-loss orders and keeping National Guardsmen for a year or more at a time, why close ANY more base?  ::)

That, my friend, is a question for W.

His administration is pushing the base closings.

Since the Iraq War pricetag is somewhere above 151 billion, maybe they are looking to recoup some money.

In the case of the Navy, I can see why they are closing some of those bases.  hy keep Pascagoula open for 3 aging cruisers and a couple of destroyers?  On the other hand, they closed Barber's Point NAS here in Hawaii back in 1995, but are now considering reopening it to support moving a carrier to Pearl.   What a waste.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2004, 05:57 »

In the case of the Navy, I can see why they are closing some of those bases.  hy keep Pascagoula open for 3 aging cruisers and a couple of destroyers?  On the other hand, they closed Barber's Point NAS here in Hawaii back in 1995, but are now considering reopening it to support moving a carrier to Pearl.   What a waste.

Because keeping all of your fleet in 2 or 3 huge bases and close together isn't a bright idea....check out the USS Arizona memorial sometime. 

taterhead

« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2005, 07:53 »

Because keeping all of your fleet in 2 or 3 huge bases and close together isn't a bright idea....check out the USS Arizona memorial sometime. 

70% of the East Coast fleet is at NOB.

I would say we are already there.

I go to the Arizona Memorial at least three times per year.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2005, 08:09 »

70% of the East Coast fleet is at NOB.

I would say we are already there.

That is one reason closing the Navy's third-largest base (Charleston prior to BRAC) was ridiculous. That and the fact that the next homeport was in Yankee-land!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline DecommMan

• Moderate User
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:37 »
All anyone needs to do is to look at the budgets for env restoration and decommissioning activities at Bettis, Knoll, and all the other DOE-NR sites and you will see that there is 'massive funding' going into these sites. 

Also whether we want to face it or not the DOE Mound, Rocky Flats, Savannah River and Hanford sites were all focussed on totally diff goals back about 12 years ago shortly after the Cold war ended - look at where they have ended up and how quickly they arrived there.  Fernald is nearly done, Mound is nearly done and RF is nearly done.  In some cases DoD takes a little longer but in my opinion BRAC will have an impact again.
Decomm Man

nixdf79tr

« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2005, 03:12 »
So if this place does go.  Then are the staff gonna stay for the decom and get out OR are they gonna be moving to the charleston base ;D

Offline DecommMan

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2005, 10:22 »
Thats a political hot potato - it takes less to decommissionin than to operate - thats a given unless its a jobs program and thats a politically charged issue !!! 

Just look at the DOE - Hanford, SRS and Rocky Flats sites to get a feel for how those sites were handled. 
Decomm Man

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?