Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Davis Besse 2002
honeypot

Author Topic: Davis Besse 2002  (Read 660 times)

Offline lilnukee

• Light User
  • Life's a beach, and then you dive!
Davis Besse 2002
« on: Sep 09, 2023, 08:36 »
I'm looking for anyone who was at the infamous 2002 refueling outage at Davis Besse. That is the one where the hole in the reactor head was discovered. I was there and I remember a man that had inhaled a particle after being sent into the generator bowl with only a face shield and a paper suit. Does anyone else remember this incident?

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
Re: Davis Besse 2002
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2023, 08:28 »
Are you learned in radiation protection? Huge difference between "inhalation" and ingestion. Assuming the S/G worker was in compliance with the RWP, then "only a face shield and paper suit" had been evaluated and determined proper dress for the work. Chance of a DRP winding up in the S/G channel head due to a leak on the closure head is unlikely although possible. The millions of gallons of RCS that pass thru the area is more likely the cause. This site is not a good place to go on a fishing expedition as many inhabitants actually know what they are talking about.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2023, 10:59 by fiveeleven »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2023, 10:32 »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2023, 06:29 »

not very exciting nor industry impacting compared to other DB 2002 stuff,....
https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/acrs/tr/subcommittee/2002/mm020605.html
[/quote]

Many words were spoken. Nothing was said.

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2023, 06:29 by fiveeleven »

Offline desertechn

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2023, 09:38 »
i do remember them not using a buffer zone or double stepoff pads for work at the manways, we would set them up on nightshift and dayshift management would have them taken down....the incident i dont remember but the whole place was a mess

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2023, 10:36 »

not very exciting nor industry impacting compared to other DB 2002 stuff,....
https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/acrs/tr/subcommittee/2002/mm020605.html

Many words were spoken. Nothing was said.

hey!!!!,.....

it got a subcommittee hearing,.....

geez,....

<iframe width="500" height="282" src="
" title="You&#39;re Killing Me Smalls - The Sandlot" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2023, 10:39 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline lilnukee

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2023, 05:49 »
Are you learned in radiation protection? Huge difference between "inhalation" and ingestion. Assuming the S/G worker was in compliance with the RWP, then "only a face shield and paper suit" had been evaluated and determined proper dress for the work. Chance of a DRP winding up in the S/G channel head due to a leak on the closure head is unlikely although possible. The millions of gallons of RCS that pass thru the area is more likely the cause. This site is not a good place to go on a fishing expedition as many inhabitants actually know what they are talking about.

I have 30 years of experience as a Rad Tech and I was a senior technician at Davis Besse when I personally surveyed and spoke to the gentleman that inhaled the particle. Yes, INHALED the particle. I never implied in any way that the particle was related to the hole in the reactor head, I only referenced it to jog any memories regarding the outage. There was absolutely no reason for you to be so rude and condescending. When I surveyed the man, I had to use an RO2 as he was pegging out the frisker on all scales. He was reading 5 mr through the chest. I followed up a week later and was told that they were using expectorants in an effort to remove the particle from his lung with little success. I was thinking of him the other day and wondered what happened to him. That is the reason for the question on here. I don't know why you felt you needed to be hateful when I was only looking for answers, which some actually decent people on here provided.

Offline lilnukee

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2023, 05:55 »
publicly available,....

https://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operating/oversight/reports/davi_2002006.pdf

not very exciting nor industry impacting compared to other DB 2002 stuff,.....

Thank you for the link. I did an internet search but all that seemed to come up was the Reactor Head hole. I understand that that wasn't as exciting to the general public as the hole and the lies and all the other stuff that Davis Besse did, but it mattered to me. I personally surveyed the man involved. He was reading 5 mr through the chest, and it was determined that it was in his lung. It was downplayed in the report, I think. I appreciate you posting the link.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?