Facility & Company Information > Zion

Zion

<< < (4/10) > >>

NightCrawler:
Over the years, the word on S/G's for Zion was ever changing.  One year it would be for both units.  The next year it would be just one unit.  To be honest, I can't recall if they intended to get them for both units, just one, or for neither.  That's the nature of working for Exelon Corp.....they always keep you guessing.

slick1:
About a month ago I heard a rumor that Zion has ordered new generators (this rumor was from one of the local Unions; not in the nuclear community).  After some asking around I heard Zion plant managment (friend-of-a-friend) said it was not true.  No new generators or statup planned.

As for the post on Ranch Seco, there is little hope of restarting that becasue of the extent it has been shut down.  There probably is another thread on the decommissioning status, but I understand internals are ready to be chopped up any day.

Slick

Dave Warren:

--- Quote from: slick1 on May 05, 2005, 02:25 ---About a month ago I heard a rumor that Zion has ordered new generators (this rumor was from one of the local Unions; not in the nuclear community).  After some asking around I heard Zion plant managment (friend-of-a-friend) said it was not true.  No new generators or statup planned.

As for the post on Ranch Seco, there is little hope of restarting that becasue of the extent it has been shut down.  There probably is another thread on the decommissioning status, but I understand internals are ready to be chopped up any day.

Slick

--- End quote ---

December 11, 2007 – EnergySolutions, Inc. (NYSE: ES), signed an agreement today with Exelon Corporation to accelerate the decommissioning and environmental restoration of the Zion Nuclear Power Station site located in Zion, Illinois. Pending Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) approval, EnergySolutions, Inc. expects to take possession of the facility in 2008 to begin decommissioning.

“This project launches our license stewardship strategy whereby we conduct decommissioning and site restoration work as both owner and licensee,” said Steve Creamer, CEO of EnergySolutions. “Under this program we will utilize the unique capabilities and facilities of EnergySolutions to reduce project schedules, increase the efficiencies of the decommissioning process and better control project costs.”

The decommissioning of the Zion Nuclear Power Station will be substantially accelerated under this agreement. When the decommissioning work is completed and independently verified by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, hundreds of acres of lakefront property will be available for other uses. The decommissioning will be performed using state-of-the-art technology and rigorous environmental controls to protect human health and the environment and to preserve the lakefront and wetlands properties.

ddklbl:
A few thoughts on this thread...

Do they intend to scrap their "synchronous condensor".  Their website mentions how invaluable they are to grid stability.  Is that a bunch of smoke and mirrors? 

Second, from way up top in this thread: how do commercial plants evaluate capacity and availability factors.  You cannot have AF < CF.  Breaker to breaker runs still have to have downpowers for maintanance and it takes time on startups and shutdowns to get to or from full power (nit-picky, I know).  The plant availability time will always be more than the time you operated it at full capacity.

I've read on some plants public websites that they have capacity factors greater than one  ???  Making some assumptions that a plant on an 18 month cycle takes two weeks to refuel, then it would have had a maximum AF of 0.97 (i.e. 76 weeks divided by 78 weeks).  So, how could you get the plant to operate at capacity when she had on fuel in her?

--- Quote ---In 2000, Unit 2 established a new unit generation record of 10,337,818 mwh. The previous record for the unit was 10,310,828 established in 1997.
Unit 2's year end capacity factor set a new record for the plant at 102.4%, surpassing the old record of 101.2% set in 1997. Capacity factor is a unit's actual output of electricity as a percentage of its maximum potential output.
--- End quote ---

Are they using post power uprate numbers versus pre-power uprate machine limits?  Either way, it's disingenuous.  But, hey, consider the source.

Fermi2:
They figure out average environmental conditions for the area. From this they figure out the Maximum Dependable Capacity of your plant. It's a weighted average of what you expect due to variations in river or heat sink temperatures. This is the what your Capacity Factor will be based on. If you have a cold winter your capacity factor will go up. Usually they are not weighted so a hot summer will really hurt you much as the Hotter numbers are rarely based on any number except that which you'd have to shut the plant down anyway.
Downpowers are usually of short enough duration they don't really hurt your number.

Note when a plant is exceeding 100% Capacity Factor it is not operating at greater than 100% Thermal Power. It merely means the turbine/generator end is operating more better!

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version