Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Physics and the Nuclear Field

Author Topic: Physics and the Nuclear Field  (Read 3707 times)

thecheshirechap

Physics and the Nuclear Field
« on: May 17, 2005, 11:46 »
Hi everybody!

Well, I have a few questions about the Nuclear Field and the training involved...
I love Physics! How much Physics/Advanced Mathematics training is there in Nuclear A School? Do one of the fields (MM EM or ET) offer more Physics instruction than any of the others?
Also, to anyone who knows anything about STA-21: the Nuclear Officer programme requires training in a "Technical Degree Field." Is Physics considered a "Technical Degree?"
I DEP'ed in to the USAF in January, decided that the Nuclear Field in the Navy was for me, so I filed for my discharge last week (besides, the AF wanted me to be a mechanic for one reason or another, despite my 97 ASVAB and 125 DLAB score, (i.e. they were trying to screw me, I wanted to be a Linguist) but that's a WHOLE different story).
Anyway, thanks in advance for any information you guys can offer!

~TheCheshireChap

ex-SSN585

Re: Physics and the Nuclear Field
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 08:39 »
My info is very old, but since no one else has answered, I'll start:

As far as general Physics, the ratings (MM, EM, or ET) receive the same amount of training.  The level of the course is on the high school level or non-physical science/engineering level in college (i.e., not calculus based).  However, there is a nuclear engineering component which is not covered in lower division physics courses, although it is not as rigorous as nuclear engineering/physics courses on the upper division level.  (I have never taken an introductory, lower division nuclear engineering course, so I am not familiar with what would be covered.)

When I went to high school, calculus was not offered and any student who met the prerequisites had to go to a nearby college to take the course.  It seems that calculus is now commonly offered as part of the high school curricula and I would guess that the math in Nuclear Power school gets to that level.  For example, no "delta/epsilon" stuff, no series expansion ... I don't think it even gets as far as the chain rule, but I could be wrong about that. 

Keep in mind that the minimum required for entry into the nuclear power program is one year of high school algebra.  Everyone in nuclear power school is supposedly taught at the same level, and it isn't possible to get the bottom of the class to a high level in six months.  Unlike the typical college, where a course might be taught to the mid-level student, the aim of Navy training is to get all students to pass.  At one time, students with higher aptitude were grouped together and might be given a bit more material to keep them interested, but that was many years ago.  Now, the classes have students of all abilities (perhaps so the students can help each other out) so everyone is taught at the same level.

Still, if you want to excel, there is plenty of material to keep you interested as long as your goal is to learn as much as possible, rather than just learning the minimum to pass.  When I went to nuclear power school, I was in one of the higher sections (when students were segregated by aptitude), and our section had no mandatory study hours, except in the last week.  However, I spent more time in school than anyone in the lower sections with mandatory hours because I wanted to learn the material.  I could have spent no extra time and still passed.  What I'm trying to say is that if you really like physics and math, there is more than enough material to keep you interested during your time at Nuclear Power School, regardless of the level of material on which the material is taught.  However, you have to be self-motivated because no one is going to encourage you or give you extra credit for reading material that is not covered in class. 

I do NOT encourage you to go to outside sources, such as college texts in nuclear physics and nuclear reactor engineering until after you finish with nuclear power school because while you are there, the Navy wants you to learn things in a specific way and with particular application to Naval nuclear reactors.  Incorporation of concepts from outside sources will likely be harmful to your evaluation because the Navy wants things answered in a particular way and if you say something they don't expect, no matter how accurate it might actually be, it might be considered to be a "wrong answer".

I don't know anything about STA-21.  Physics should qualify as a "technical degree".  I would guess that the interpretation of "technical degree" is a "hard (i.e., physical)" science or engineering major.

Rad Sponge

Re: Physics and the Nuclear Field
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 12:13 »
Cheshire,

Before you go jumping off into the Nuclear Yellow and Magenta Yonder, don't discount your original intentions. If you want to be a linguist, be a linguist. The Navy has the equivalent job of an Air Force Linguist, its a CTI: Cryptological Techician-Interpretive. You will spend time at the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey California learning a language at an advanced pace.

Just because the AF was not offering you a training billet, do not give up on your interests. Linguists are hot commodities inside and outside the military especially for those fluent in Arabic, Farsif (sp?), Hebrew and any other language represented in the Middle East.

Now, I am a nuke and like it, but I hate seeing Sailors diverted away from a true calling by bonuses and advanced promotions. In the end you may be doing a job made no better by an extra crow and some $$$.

Make sure you do your research. This place is a good start. Explore all the threads.

R/ Sponge

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?