Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NPS instructor OR Nuclear officer (SWO/Sub)

Author Topic: NPS instructor OR Nuclear officer (SWO/Sub)  (Read 12596 times)

firefox172

NPS instructor OR Nuclear officer (SWO/Sub)
« on: May 23, 2005, 08:32 »
Hey everyone. I am an engineering college grad (3.4 GPA) and Im interested in the Navy Nuclear officer program. I spoke to a recruiter and he told me I could qualify either as a Nuclear Instructor at "A" school or as a Nuclear officer on the surface warfare/subs.
I know to some extent the career oppurtunities of the Nuclear trained officer option, but could anyone tell me if there are any advantages/disadvantages to taking the NPS instructor option besides an on shore job but not getting the Bonus.
What are the advancement oppurtunities for an instructor in the navy and the civilian sector after completing my term. And do the NPS instructors and Nuke officers have the same rank and pay grade. Is it possible to switch and make a transition to a nuclear propulsion officer and how easy/difficult would that be.
I am still not sure what an NPS instructors options are after completing his/her teaching assignment.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: NPS instructor OR Nuclear officer (SWO/Sub)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 09:25 »
Hey everyone. I am an engineering college grad (3.4 GPA)

I am still not sure what an NPS instructors options are after completing his/her teaching assignment.

In summary (based on what I have read over the years on this site) you have very little nuclear background for a nuclear commercial job after an instructor only billet. It is dependent upon the needs of the Navy whether you can convert to nuclear propulsion officer, but only rarely done.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

firefox172

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 06:27 »
Thankyou for your help. Based on your profile you seem experienced so I was hoping you could advise me on what you think my best option would be. Does an ex Nuclear propulsion officer have a strong background for a commercial nuclear job? I know that experienced Nuclear propulsion officers are retained in the navy as they are in demand and it offers some advancement and bonuses if one chooses to stay with the navy. But  i have no clue as to what an instructors options are.
Is a nuclear propulsion officer position more stable and rewarding. If i did not want to make teaching a career then would you advise me to choose the Nuclear Propulsion position.
Id appreciate any suggestions or input, and although my questions may sound stupid I would like to have as much information as possible so I have no regrets later. Thankyou.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 01:59 »
My opinion is you'll do better going the Operations route, by that I mean you'll learn and practice a much broader base skill set than if you just instruct. It's been my experience in the commercial world the best instructors are those that actually qualified on the plant on which they are teaching.

If you go Sub or Surface Officer you'll learn how plants operate in practice, vice in theory and this will open a lot more doors for you in the commercial world (or the Navy should you elect to stay in!!)

By the way, I never knew what happens to those officers who taught Math and stuff in NPS? What was their career path afterwards? I never once remember seeing them out in the fleet. Once when I was an instructor at Prototype a few of them showed up, but not as students.

Mike

firefox172

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 07:51 »
Thanks very much for you advice. I guess working as a propulsion officer is more challenging and worthwhile. I certainly know that in order to make teaching a profession one needs a PHD which i certainly do not plan on doing.  I think I will opt for the NTO position.
would anyone know who actually decides whether I go to DC to interview with the Admiral. My recruiter told me I will have to take the physical and then he will set up the trip to the actual plant. A month or so after that I would be sent to DC.
So who actually decides if I get picked up. He told me that once I get sent to DC and as long as I do not say anythin ridiculous at the interview, i would know right there if i am picked up.
So do the people at the base I will be visiting review my application? If anyone could give me some info on how the process works it would be most helpful.
Thanks a lot guys.

aabrams

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 06:12 »
If you meet the minumum requirements for an interview, you get an interview.  The final decision is up to the director of Naval Reactors.  As far as follow on jobs for Direct Input Limited Duty Officers (Instructors), many of them become Engineering Duty Officers.  As an EDO, they work for NR in DC, one of the two labs, or at a nuclear shipyard.  Like any officer, there is an option to lateral transfer.  When your time at NNPS is up, you can apply for another job (consistent with the needs of the Navy).

dpalm2

« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2006, 11:54 »
Firefox,

I'm in the same boat as you.  Thought about the teaching program, but doesn't seem like it would be my "thing".  I have about 30 months of college remaining and qualify for the program too; the money sounds really good before you go in(while still in school), but it sounds like the opportunities end there.  I think I'd like to go the NPO route myself, but am wondering what blockades will stand in my way of achieving such a goal.  i.e. tests, qualifications, eyesight, will having had hurnia surgery many years ago effect me? (this last one might be something only a recruiter can answer).  Thanks for any info guys, you're all so helpful.

Dave
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2006, 11:56 by dpalm2 »

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2006, 02:58 »
There are many more opportunities in operations.  As a direct input instructor, you lack the practical experience that living 24 hours a day with a reactor gives you.  Teaching at NNPTC is an important job, but if you already have reservations I wouldn't think you'd enjoy it.  The physical standards are not all too rigorous and what you described would be no problem.  Your college grades will carry the most weight in your application.  Once you qualify, you will go to Naval Reactors in Washington DC for your accession interview.  You will meet with 2-3 engineers who will ask general technical questions to assess your problem solving ability.  They will forward their recommendations to the Director of Naval Reactors (ADM Donald) who will personally  interview you and make a decision.  You will know shortly after leaving the Admiral's office whether you made it or not. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide. 

dpalm2

« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2006, 03:18 »
Thanks eagle.  The interview you were talking about....is that for the instructor route or the operations route?

Dave

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2006, 03:23 »
Ops. I don't think you have an Admiral's interview for the instructor position.  I do know a guy who started as an instructor and transferred to submarines at the end of his tour.  He's currently doing very well as a submarine squadron engineer and will soon be going on to an executive officer job (second to the captain).

visserjr

« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:06 »
Theory is just that. As an instructor, you will be teaching subject matter without the objectivity of the experience. To make matters worse, the navy changes names and functions of certain things to lower the clearance needed to access the info. Being what used to be known as a Direct Input Limited Duty Offer or (DILDO) NO pun intended this was a very real thing, you are going to teach about 30% of what the real nuclear naval experience is. Therefore in the comercial world I would imagine this wouldn't be very usefull in gaining a job. From what I have read here it would be like hiring someone with no experience except a degree to train SRO's. For the most beneficial work experience to add to a resume, be a Line officer, and go Surface or Submarine warfare.

John

ranger2

« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2006, 02:47 »
War Eagle/Joe

Would that former NPS instructor be named Jeff? If so he was still an eng when I saw him last. Good to see he is doing well. Worked with him at NPTU.

Firefox

Your trip to the sub base is just a chance to woo you into the program, not really to assess your application. Odds are, if they have already decided to spend the money for your travel, then they are taking you seriously. The folks at DC determine if you'll go the DC.

You'll get a MEPS physical to determine if your physically eligible.

Like War Eagle said, in DC you'll get 2-3 technical interviews based on your transcripts and a short job interview with Adm Donald. In technical interviews I was asked everything from the odds of rolling a total of 6 with 2 dice, to integration by parts, to shear/bending moment diagrams from statics. Depends on classes you've taken. Adm just wanted to know why I wanted to be in the program.

If accepted, you'll know right away and be sworn in right away before you can change your mind and waste everyone's time and money, so be sure you want to do this before you go.

All that being said, I vote for a line officer job over instructor duty which is for the most part a dead in job in the navy. Instructors are very intelligent but often get little respect. Usually the GPA req't for a NPS instructor is 3.8'ish though.

For what it's worth, line officer experience allowed me to step right into a civilian nuke job. The specific req't for an ops supervisor type job is 2 yrs as EOOW/EWS/RO or equivalent if being hired from outside the plant with no prior civilian nuke experience. Instructor duty wouldn't fit the bill.

Hope this helps
Good luck with whatever your decision.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2006, 02:48 by ranger2 »

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2006, 06:56 »
War Eagle/Joe

Would that former NPS instructor be named Jeff? If so he was still an eng when I saw him last. Good to see he is doing well. Worked with him at NPTU.

It sure is Jeff! He's at CSS-4  and due to rotate this summer.  Hell of a guy.  JIMMY CARTER spent some time in Squadron 4 after delivery and Jeff and I spent alot of quality time together preparing for ORSE and the like.  If you know Jeff, you were at Charleston the same time as a few of my buddies.  I guess you do know us Auburn types  ;) 
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2006, 07:17 by War Eagle »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?