Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

Getting out with Thomas Edison BSAT and MBA

<< < (2/9) > >>

Nuclear NASCAR:

--- Quote from: SMISH on Jun 29, 2005, 10:15 ---  Is it true that you can receive GI bill benefits for OJT?  Do most plants have 401K plans?  If so, do they match contributions?

--- End quote ---

I don't know about OJT, I do know about apprenticeship programs.  One of the apprentices in my class should be getting a nice check pretty soon after we finally got our apprenticeship program certified by the military.  As far as for OJT, I'd guess if the program can be, or already is, certified for GI bill there's no reason you shouldn't get your benefits. 

401K plans vary by location but I think most probably have them anymore.  You're asking a lot of good questions.  Keep it up. 

Ordinary Joe:

--- Quote from: SMISH on Jun 29, 2005, 10:15 ---I've heard that managers work more hours for less money than your average operator.  Is this true? 

--- End quote ---
  Operators get paid well, period (well, relative to the Navy).  Being a NLO is a pretty serious upgrade in standard of living from that of a navy nuke.  That said,  ROs and NLOs get overtime at every plant and managers get overtime at some plants (usually straight pay).  An outage or two can lead to an RO earning significantly more than an SRO where they are not compensated for overtime.  There is some inequity but no one has to beg for food........ yet.

bbishop:
Thanks a lot for your help. I'm not sure I understand a few things.  Is SRO a management postion? Is NLO the same thing as Aux Operator.  Are there two seperate schools for RO and SRO?  What is the time table for a person like me to get licensed in the South East region?

Nuclear NASCAR:

--- Quote from: SMISH on Jul 06, 2005, 09:09 ---Thanks a lot for your help. I'm not sure I understand a few things.  Is SRO a management postion? Is NLO the same thing as Aux Operator.  Are there two seperate schools for RO and SRO?  What is the time table for a person like me to get licensed in the South East region?

--- End quote ---

At most plants SRO (Senior Reactor Operator) is a management position.  Non-licensed Operator is the same as an Auxiliary Operator.  One normally must be an RO before becoming an SRO, not always but that is the normal course.  How quickly you become licensed depends on turnover and needs. 

bbishop:
I made ET Chief!  :)  Now I really have some decisions to make.  My wife and extended family think I should stay in 10 more years to get the pension, but I don't think I can stomach any more sea time.  I would miss my wife and the boys too much.  My career councelor says I should reenlist and then put in for LDO.  He said the MBA would make me a sure bet.  This reminds me of my recruiter telling me to come in enlisted.  He said that they would pick me up for an officer program in no time.  Besides, LDOs go to sea also.  The StayNavy website says I need to gross $88K a year on the outside to equal my pay and benefits as a Chief at sea.  It also says I will need to invest $30K per year to have a similar retirement plan.  I don't know what to do.  I've never been so stressed out by a decision.  Please Help! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version