News and Discussions > History & Trivia

Nuclear History/Trivia

<< < (2/3) > >>

Rennhack:
BTW,

STP also has a lot of aligators, its's even their mascot, "Al E. Gator".

thenuttyneutron:
Natural reactors might be more common than we think.  Jupiter spits out more heat than it absorbs from the sun.  I have seen theories that state that many of the planets have large natural fission reactors at the center.  This includes the earth.  Samples taken from lava flows of He-3 match up very well with predicted values for scientist that think there is a big natural breeder reactor at the core of the earth.

It is an interesting theory,  I want to see more experiments performed on this subject.  I think eventually we will design better neutrino detectors that can discriminate neutrinos born from fusion vs fission.  When that occurs I think we will have a good idea of what is going on.

Sort of weird to think about it, the biggest reactor on the planet may not be man-made.

Here is my trivia question:

Who was the scientist that developed the models for pulseing reactors and was later discovered to be a spy who turned over vast amounts of material to the soviets?

Melrose:
How 'bout the name of the goliath airplane that made it's voyage in the 50s, sporting an operating reactor?

Marlin:

--- Quote from: RDTroja on Aug 10, 2005, 07:45 ---Who coined the term 'Health Physicist', why and when?

--- End quote ---

There are a number of answers to this here are two;

1)Robert Stone or Arthur Compton defined the the field in which physical methods are used to determine the existence of hazards to the health.

2)Raymond Finkle denoted it as the physics section of the health division.

--- Quote from: thenuttyneutron on Aug 10, 2005, 05:47 ---
Here is my trivia question:

Who was the scientist that developed the models for pulseing reactors and was later discovered to be a spy who turned over vast amounts of material to the soviets?

--- End quote ---

I believe Klaus Fuchs but would not put money on it.

--- Quote from: Melrose on Aug 10, 2005, 07:23 ---How 'bout the name of the goliath airplane that made it's voyage in the 50s, sporting an operating reactor?

--- End quote ---

The Crusader carried an operational reactor but the plane was powered by conventional means. the project was scrapped before it reached that stage.

shayne:
I was just wondering why this topic is locked?

--- Quote ---Warning: this topic is currently locked!
Only admins and moderators can reply.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version