Career Path > Getting in

no credential, no experience...wanting to get into the utility industry

<< < (3/4) > >>

hamsamich:
Agree, but if you are working at a site with 2 or more units, you may be involved in re-fuel for EACH UNIT, so if there were 3 units, you may be working some type of outage schedule every 6 months or so.  More with less!  Yee-hooo!

Yeah you don't need a degree, but if you have no experience you will be starting very low on the totem pole depending on where you want to work.  If I were you I'd send my resume to some plants that have the openings you are looking for.  If you get no response than you should find out why.  A great place for feedback is by using a HeadHunter.  He will be easier to contact and more knowledgable about the entire industry's hiring specifics than a lone HR person from one company.  Depending on what degree you have, he may be able to get you an interview as earlt as next week which could lead to you talking to people who have many of the answers you are looking for.  Even if you don't get the job, just going to the interview and taking test/talking to the interviewers should push you in the right direction.  I assume you want to be an Aux Operator?  Indian Point just hired an ex-Hatian police chief with little experience.  They needed some diversity, but still shows you don't need much of a resume to get in depending on the plant.  If you are able to move out of the area you could probably get a job in the next 6 months without getting another degree, depending on what your degree is now, how good you do on POSS, how well you interview, if you know anybody at the plant, etc.

davioh:
 :( latest news is I am having financial difficulties.  I was trying to get funded thru the workforce investment act and they are saying the outlook for the industry is no good.  They are trying to get me placed in a job instead of giving me help to make it thru my education.

I got hit by a drunk driver and lost my job btw.  I am not trying to be a leach to the system.  This is about the only time I've asked for any help but Im not getting it.  ANY suggestions for where to go to refute their statistics would be great.  So far all I've found is the ans, and the nei. 

hamsamich:
call bartlett man, work as a deconner for a while.  money isn't good at first, but you will make some, and u will get experience. just do it. then when you get $ together and you feel like you want to go back to school, you can afford and you will know you really want to do (school or not).

davioh:
I don't know who or what bartlet is let alone their phone #.

p.s. latest news is the govt. in ohio thinks there are a total of 8 job openings in the state of ohio and that according to them "THE OUTLOOK IS DISMAL NO ONE SHOULD PURSUE THIS TRAINING"

PWHoppe:
Go to the jobs page, see employers and all the contact info is there. The decon route is one of many to get your foot in the door. Some of the best HP technicians I know in this business started as deconners. There are also career decon professionals who I have the utmost respect for who are worth their weight in gold. Good Luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version