Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear Field security clearance

Author Topic: Nuclear Field security clearance  (Read 6246 times)

firefox

Nuclear Field security clearance
« on: Sep 15, 2005, 08:59 »
Hello. I am contemplating joining the NF and I would like to know what kind of security clearance is required for nuke ETs on carriers (not subs). I have read that it is 'secret' but i am not sure as some places have said top secret is required.
Also, would anyone be able to guide me as to what a typical work day on a carrier after 'A' school is like for an ET (assuming that I get picked in that rate). Does they work an lot in a hot engine room? How much time do you get to have off on board for taking distance learning classes. Is the access to the internet for coursework and keeping in touch with family while on deployments. And more importantly, is there a high risk of being stationed overseas and would having a family be of some consideration when it comes to duty stations.
Id really appreciate any input from any of you experienced navy nukes out there. I was also considering the AECF field. If anyone could throw light on that too. Thanks guys.

sometoasteroven

Re: Nuclear Field security clearance
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2005, 03:39 »
i can tell you this, i had issues getting a security clearance due to uh, my lacking of financial stability and me owning some collection agencies some money... That temporarly disqualified me from getting rated as a nuke, (right now i'm an ACEF reclassing as a nuke, probably today, i should check on that)... Just make sure your pretty squeaky clean... financialy and legally, and you should be golden...

That's my 2 cents.

JsonD13

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2005, 07:57 »
Well if you are surface you only need a confidential clearance, subs secret, some subs require top secret but thats only for highly sensitive mission stuff.  As far as doing courses go, only an aircraft carrier will have internet available to you, im not sure how the fleet accomodates for time off for classes, but as an instructor in prototype (the last training command before you go to sea), I had to do my classes on my own time.  This did not prevent me from obtaining my BS in the time I had there (2 years).

firefox

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2005, 01:41 »
Thanks a lot for your replies guys. Its from people like you that I feel i get well and ubiased rounded opinions. I am interested in aircraft carriers and not in subs. If any one has anything more about their experiences please do tell me. I would love to hear about them and help me make a more informed decision.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?