Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Precom Info...  

Author Topic: Precom Info...  (Read 8510 times)

_ELT_

Precom Info...
« on: Sep 20, 2005, 05:47 »
I'm looking for information about serving onboard a PCU CVN.  I've been at a "seagoing" command for just over three years now.  I was onboard for the last three years of the RCOH of CVN-69 and am now looking to transfer.  My detailer put out that the PCU George H.W. Bush will be manning up soon and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what life would be like if I were to go that route. 

If there are any ELT's who have served a pre-com, let me know what you thought...

Thanks!

_ELT_

Re: Precom Info...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2005, 06:12 »
To expound on my question, or maybe clarify.  I've been reading some info on the Bush - the requirements and such.  When it says "In Service" as in:  Member must spend 24 months at command (PCU Bush) after unit is placed "in service".

Does this mean after commissioning?  hmmmm...

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2005, 06:56 »
My precomm days were 20 years ago, but "in-service" does not mean commissioning.  As far as what you can expect, the PCU command will form while the ship is still owned by the builder.  There will be no operating equipment aboard the ship, no fuel in the reactor, and you may find yourself entering it for the first time through the bottom.  The basic structure of the ship and all the large equipment will already be there, but you won't own it.  Most of your time will be spent in training, putting together the manuals and stuff... basically reinventing the wheel.  Get in touch with your counterpart on some other ship of the class and steal everything from the survey maps to the PMS schedule.  Take all their training lesson plans, exam bank questions... the whole nine.
From your post, it seems to me that you are already on a similar ship, if not one of the same class.  This means that you will be one of the "old-hands" and expected to teach the ship's workings not only to nubs but to officers and senior enlisteds from different ships.
We all (those of us coming from seagoing commands) got sea pay despite the fact that our ship was still high and dry.  The newbies started getting it some time later.  For rotation purposes, PCU duty is neutral.  It counts as sea time for some things and shore time for others, but always to your benefit as I remember.  Since the ship is not yet habitable, you will probably get housing allowances or barracks depending on your marital status.  Of course, I was a sub sailor, and we always got those anyway.
Your schedule will probably start out with "bankers' hours" to start, then progress into shift work to support testing and bringing systems on-line.  Finally, you'll have the same duty day schedule as what you are used to when the ship becomes more operational.  You'll essentially be morphing from a shore-duty type of billet into full on sea-duty.
Your post didn't specify, and I'm not up to speed, but if the 69 is on it's way out of the fleet, you will basically just be doing the same thing in reverse.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

taterhead

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2005, 07:53 »
Ok, this is a topic that I am qualified to answer.

I served on Lincoln, then went over to Precom the Reagan.  I have since put my package in for the Bush Precom.  Just waiting on orders at this point.

I posted the message here 'bout halfway down:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5702.0.html

Here goes.

First, the inservice date is set around the time of crew habitability.  To give you an idea of what time frame that might be, consider this timeframe from Reagan.

August 2000 : initial manning...first nukes report.
March 2001:   Christening
May 2001:  Reactor Dept move aboard ship.
September 2001:  Shift work begins.
October 2002: Crew move aboard (messing onboard, etc).
Nov 2002: RSE (certifies Reactor Dept)
May 2003: First underway (sea trials).
July 2003: Commissioning

Keep in mind we were *delayed*

You can count on inservice to be a few months before commissioning, after the sea trials.

The 24 month OBLISERV is standard for precom, but it was not enforced on Reagan.  Some are pointing to the failure to enforce the OBLISERV as the cause of several problems that have occurred since.  My detailer says that the OBLISERV is going to be strictly enforced on Bush.

As far as sea pay goes, I did not receive sea pay until crew moveaboard, and I came from a sea command.  However, I did receive COMRATS, so it pretty much equalled out.  However, my sea counter kept rolling.  The duty counts as sea time for rotational purposes.

« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2005, 07:29 by taterhead »

s_Phoenix

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2005, 11:13 »
We just at MMCM Low on board and he said that there short on package's and need more.  So they've extended the dead line.   Just get in touch with your  detailer and have him email the details on what neads to be in the package.  You department CC should have the info also if there compdent.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?