Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NRRPT experience credit guide honeypot

Author Topic: NRRPT experience credit guide  (Read 6767 times)

RT@OPG

NRRPT experience credit guide
« on: Oct 04, 2005, 09:04 »
NRRPT is now offering a Canadian exam - because very few people here provide full time job coverage (self protection is the norm) people are interested in the expereince credit guide to see if they believe they would qualify to write the exam.  I was not able to find it on the NRRPT web site - does someone have one or can you direct me to were to locate it. 

yuffie_2000us

Re: NRRPT experience credit guide
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2005, 09:34 »
Try www.nrrpt.org  . That should get you there.

radgal

« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2005, 03:36 »
You can contact the NRRPT Executive Secretary at (949) 736-5400 and see if she has the answer or direct to someone who does.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2005, 02:58 by Rad Gal »

RT@OPG

« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2005, 08:32 »
Thanks for the help - We'll get in touch with the NRRPT office and see what we get.

The question I have is - do you have to be providing rad work coverage "greenmaning" for other workers or does other work count - Health Physicist type work, mechanic, control tech do they qualifiy.  Beer Court you know what what I mean you worked at Pickering.  What do you think?  If it's only greenmaning it would take us forever to get 5 years experience providing protection for others.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2005, 01:25 »
It has been a LOOOOOONG time since I sat for the NRRPT exam, but my understanding is that all work that is directly related to Health Physics / Radiation Protection counts toward the required five years.  If you calibrate rad instruments, do routine surveys, or do direct job coverage, your time counts.
The NRRPT recognizes that HP/RP technicians have other duties that are not directly related to rad protection.  They use a percentage formula to calculate the actual time.  In your case, if you are a Boilermaker with a Green Badge, they would ask you to enter the time you worked as a Boilermaker, and specify what percentage of that time was spent on Radiation Protection.  If you are working for Pickering A in the Rad Protection Unit, your time would be 100% except for the days when you went back to your trade.  There is a block on the exam application for each job where you enter this percentage.
The concept of greenmanning (work groups or trades providing their own RP coverage) is a "foreign" concept here in the US.  Even the use of self-monitoring (yellow badge) is limited here because it requires workers to divide their attention.  Mostly, only the plant operations staff is even trained and qualified to do this, and they never do routine surveys or release material from controlled areas.  If you did such tasks when you had your yellow badge, the time you spent doing them would count also.
So, NRRPT may have trouble understanding what you are trying to ask.  If they get confused, send me a private message and I can try to interpret for you ao they can uderstand what you are talking about.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

RT@OPG

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2005, 07:20 »
Thanks for the help on this - I'll send a note if I need more assistance.  It looks like about 5 of us at Pickering are going to take a crack at it.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2005, 10:41 »
I strooooonnnngggggly recommend taking a prep course if one is available to you.  The exam covers particle accelerator, X-Ray, and Medical Physics questions that we power plant types are pretty rusty on.  There are a few folks out there who give a very good prep course that takes about a week and covers it all.
Go to the Study area here on NukeWorker and get the practice and study materials.  They are all well presented and assembled by some cracker-jack technicians.
Perhaps you can get Arif or your unions to kick in toward the cost of the course.  After all, when you pass the test, they will claim bragging rights for having RRPT's working for them.  It's good for the company and the local to have credentialled people doing this work.
Best of Luck
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

RT@OPG

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2005, 11:07 »
OPG has told us that they are bringing in some company to prepare a course for us.  They are to deliver a 6 day course (2 days/week over 3 weeks) a month before the exam - the other 3 days/week we will be given to study depending on what's up at the plant those weeks.

Arif left last year - he retired but popped up again at the Bruce helping with their restart efforts.  He's always looking for rad techs if anyone is interested - should be some long term work there at least 2 - 3 years.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?