Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Can I Get In? honeypot

Author Topic: Can I Get In?  (Read 10833 times)

Ajaxcandy

Can I Get In?
« on: Nov 27, 2005, 11:42 »
Hi, i was just wondering how difficult it is to get into the nuke power program. I got an 87 on the practice asvab and was wondering what my chances are of getting in with that score.

RAD DAD

Re: Can i get in?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2005, 05:05 »
Nothing is guaranteed until you sign the contract at MEPS but that should do it. If they do not offer Nuke at MEPS pick the best Job they offer you. Then ask your recruiter about taking the Nuke test. If you do good on that then they can change your contract.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2005, 09:18 »
Not entirely true. Even after MEPs it's not guaranteed. It's really not guaranteed until after Nuke Placement at bootcamp. We lost 4 guys then.

Mike

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:40 »
I was reading this over and was unsure of this...What is Nuke placement?

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2006, 09:10 »
It's the time in bootcamp where this nuke detailer or nuke adviser gets all the nukes together and gives them one more chance to come clean about anything they did as a civilian. Those who come clean get denuked, those who survive are given their choice of rates. Virtually everyone picks ET, then they pick 1 ET, usually as guy who selected EM, then make most of the rest MMs and 2 or 3 EMs.

Mike

LaFeet

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2006, 10:05 »
Currently, the higher your ASVAB the better your chance for becoming an ET.   If you have an interest in motors or mechanical systems I would recommend becoming a MM.  I am unsure with any current specifics with Naval Nuclear Power School since they relocated to Goose Creek SC.  I had a blast in Orlando.

visserjr

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2006, 03:07 »
Your chances are as good as you want them to be. Becoming and staying a Nuke is far easier today than 10 or fifteen years ago. Also, remember, ASVAB scores don't always represent well. (Except with Bosuns mates). I am sure most of us here who went through the program knew a 99 ASVAB guy who failed out of A school, and a guy who who tubed the ASVAB that was top of their class. If it is something you truly want, go for it and best of luck. Be a mechanic though. Don't let anyone fool you Mechanics rule.
 P.S. MM is also the only rate that can be garunteed (or at least it used to be.)

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2006, 05:12 »
Oh, I understand. Thank you for that, because I was unsure of what it meant. Well I scored the highed on the electrical part and math. I'd like to be an ET but from what it seems a MM has better commerical capabilities.

Chuman

ASVAB scores
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2006, 07:02 »
Hi, new to this forum, but I took the ASVAB without any preparation, not even taking the ASVAB practice test, and I got an 88, and I was qualified for nuke so I took it and now I'm in DEP.

Now I would like to try and go for ET and my question is would my ASVAB score play a big factor in considering me for this rate?

Thanks
-Brandon

LaFeet

Re: ASVAB scores
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2006, 08:09 »
Hi, new to this forum, but I took the ASVAB without any preparation, not even taking the ASVAB practice test, and I got an 88, and I was qualified for nuke so I took it and now I'm in DEP.

Now I would like to try and go for ET and my question is would my ASVAB score play a big factor in considering me for this rate?

Thanks
-Brandon

Actually, you have about a 50 / 50 % chance of getting what you want.

shayne

Re: Can I Get In?
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2006, 10:26 »
It's the time in bootcamp where this nuke detailer or nuke adviser gets all the nukes together and gives them one more chance to come clean about anything they did as a civilian. Those who come clean get denuked, those who survive are given their choice of rates. Virtually everyone picks ET, then they pick 1 ET, usually as guy who selected EM, then make most of the rest MMs and 2 or 3 EMs.

Mike

I never liked the idea of joining the Navy to be a Nuclear Operator, then find out 5-6 weeks in bootcamp that you are not eligible.  I'm not sure what I would have done if then I found out I didn't qualify for the program.  Although I considered ET, my selection input was EM, ET, then MM and I ended up as EM.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2006, 11:22 by Shayne »

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2006, 11:27 »
Actually, you have about a 50 / 50 % chance of getting what you want.

Given they select something like 2  ETs for every 14 who want it how is the chance 50/50?
It's not mathematically possible.

Mike

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2006, 05:38 »

Given they select something like 2  ETs for every 14 who want it how is the chance 50/50?
It's not mathematically possible.

Mike

50/50....because you either will or won't get it, 2 choices? ;)

though I agree its a bad idea to count on getting a 1 in 7 match

Besides, why does everyone want to be a low-voltage electrician? ;)

LaFeet

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2006, 08:09 »

It's not mathematically possible.   Mike 

Okay.. you are right.  However, I was stating that YOUR choice will result to about 50 - 50. Of all the people I dealt with while in the Navy, their choice of MM, Em or ET came out to about
50 - 50.   Just because they need more Mao Maos as apposed to Twidgets does not reflect the percentage of the choices obtained.

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2006, 11:52 »
Yes that worries me, that by some unforsaken reason im not eligible even though I know I am. I couldn't imagine going all this time plus 6 weeks in RTC to be told I'm not eligible. That wouldn't be a good feeling.

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2006, 12:00 »
I wouldn't sweat that my friend. If you've already made the cut academically the only way you'll lose it at boot is if you fail a drug test, do something stupid, or admit to something you haven't previously admitted to!

LaFeet

« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2006, 02:11 »
Broadzilla has the brunt of it.  All you have to do is steer clear of foul ups and make sure you pass all your exams with as high a grade that you can.  Sounds like you have the aptitude for it, the really hard part comes after Prototype...  Good Luck

Wolf9906

« Reply #17 on: Jun 07, 2006, 01:04 »
You qualify for the nuke program, but how well you do is based off of how hard you work, not your intellegence level.  i found that some of the smarter guys had a harder time because they had to learn how to study.  they all skated through school without cracking a book and came to the Navy thinking the same thing would happen... and it usually does not.
Your line scores used help determine your rate, but as always it depends on the "Needs of the Navy!"

And remember: no matter what you get, no one rate runs the whole plant; everyone is equally important...
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2006, 01:07 by Wolf9906 »

nucruiter

« Reply #18 on: Jul 10, 2006, 04:38 »
Currently, the higher your ASVAB the better your chance for becoming an ET.   If you have an interest in motors or mechanical systems I would recommend becoming a MM.  I am unsure with any current specifics with Naval Nuclear Power School since they relocated to Goose Creek SC.  I had a blast in Orlando.

I would like to know where this information came from.  I am a 99 QT and a Mechanic.  Your raw ASVAB score has NOTHING to do with your rating placement.

needs of the Navy
Your wish list

Most nuke applicants I process are usually very even in their line scores for both EI (electronical type crap) and MC (mechanical type crap)

Every now and then someone with a high high EI or MC score comes along and that MAY influence the decision.

One kid who came back from A-school for RAP said on his wish list he filled in 1st ET, 2nd  ET, 3RD ET..  They called him in for an interview and asked why, and he said that is all he has ever wanted to do.  He got ET.  Not saying it would work again, but...

nucruiter

« Reply #19 on: Jul 11, 2006, 09:26 »
After A-school, when you go back home for leave, you can work at your recruiter's office for 5 days and those 5 days will not count against your leave.  All you have to do is set it up with your recruiter a day or two before you get back, and have a copy of your leave chit for them to stamp and sign for you.   Pretty easy work in my opinion, and it saves you leave.

shayne

« Reply #20 on: Jul 11, 2006, 09:48 »
This is the same program I had, however it was something I did during my Leave after boot camp (early 90's).  With boot camp in Great Lakes, nuclear field students go straight from boot camp to 'A' School in SC with no Leave period.  So they can choose to help the recruiters after 'A' school.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?