Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu college grad- Manufacturing Engr Tech w/ robotics & automatation option

Author Topic: college grad- Manufacturing Engr Tech w/ robotics & automatation option  (Read 3842 times)

blb378

I recently spent most of the night reading through past posts and found this site to be extremly helpful.  I was very impressed with all the feedback posts recieved and wanted to post my questions with the hope of receiving similiar feedback.  I want to give a little background however much of my story seems to echo many other on this site so I will try to keep it to the point. 

I, like many others on this site, did great in H.S., and score high on my ASVAB (97%)....  I think my situation may be more complicated though in I will be completing my B.S. degree in one semester in a feild I very much enjoy.  But just as I enjoy engineering, I also always been fascinated with the military and avaition in particular.  I am one of those guys who only watches TV programs like that on the History Channel, Military Channel, Science Channel, etc...  Basically I think I am an engineering through and through.  I can't image a better job location that an aircraft carrier travelling the world (or at least to the middle east and back).

With a college degree I figured my best option would be to look into the officer program.  However my recruiter told me to slacking off a little too much in my early years of university with a resulting GPA of around a 2.7, I most likely wouldn't make it into the OCS program.   However, even with my initial disapointment I still feel like the Navy would be well suited towards my interests. 

The positive things are I love to travel (lived abroad for 2 years in AU and traveled all around the globe), I am motivated, specialized in an engineering degree with emphasis in automation (similiar to ET job I hope (PLC, control systems, simulation, math, chem, etc)), well-rounded, generally no ties that would make being away difficult....

The negative is I'm going to be 25 in April.  I understand I may not want the things I want now that I may want at 30.  Six years is a very long commitment for something I really have no past experience on to say how much I would enjoy being a Nuke engr. 

Basically my question is this:  I really hope I'll enjoy the Navy and the Nuke program.  But... there is that possiblity that its not at all what I imagine it to be and with a good degree, with great starting salaries and nearly 100% job placement, maybe its just time to join that real world, find a desk job, a wife, a dog, a house with a white picket fence, and have 2.2 kids. 

Ok.. maybe it not a question, but just looking for advice or opinions of those who may be already have the gift of hind-sight, and maybe have even been down this road before.

Thanks for reading and eagerly waiting for replies...

taterhead

It is hard to tell you what you should or shouldn't do.  We are not recruiters, but we are usually pretty honest.

All I can say is that the Navy can be very rewarding if you throw yourself into it.  Kinda like that old saying "You get out what you put in."

Your maturity will be your savior if you decide to join.  You may have to work for Sailors as old or even younger than you at times, but humility is the key to overcoming that challenge.

Looking back, I have no regrets.  The Navy has been very good to me.

There are great opportunities in the Navy.  There are also long hours and months away from home.  You take the good with the bad.

Good luck with your choice.

Taylor

graydragon67

So blb, what do you want to do with yourself when you grow up?  Ask yourself that.  I'm sure you've done it several times a day.  Heck, I still do...  (Still thinking of changing my name to Peter).  You appear to have a brain and due to enjoying freedom at an early age it might be difficult to make the Officer program.  I'm currently working with a fella who did the same thing.  However (Dimwhit, as we call him), is a freaking MORON.  You might have a harder time adjusting to enlisted life.  Some JO's will give the Holier than Thou attitude since they are wearing Kahki's and your wearing blue.  If you can deal with that, you're one step above me already.  If you're willing to be stuck in a nasty bilge cleaning for 4-6 hours every Friday/Saturday (in or out of port), slice onions, dice carrots, stay onboard for 24+ hours 3-6 times a week (lovingly known as duty days).  Then sure go enlisted.  With your background you might get fast tracked thru school to some officer program.  You'll also make a TON of friends.  I cannot tell you how MANY youngsters went and LOST the nuke program due to under age drinking.  Oh and they ALWAYS took their supplier down with them! 

So, maybe civie land might be best for you.  I've seen on many corporate web sites intern positions that you might be more suited for.  Or, you can try any of the shipyards, I know here at NNSY, they take all sorts of engineer types and you learn to do the same job as the officers do during their shutdowns.  More so, you are in charge of all the Testing during their maintenance routines.  Plus, you don't have to go to sea! 

Just a thought.  Good luck.

taterhead

If you can deal with that, you're one step above me already.  If you're willing to be stuck in a nasty bilge cleaning for 4-6 hours every Friday/Saturday (in or out of port), slice onions, dice carrots, stay onboard for 24+ hours 3-6 times a week (lovingly known as duty days). 

Let me just say that I have never heard of nor seen any of this on a carrier. ;D

We don't mess crank (galley duty), and mostly stand 4-6 section duty
(1 duty day per week).

I don't recall ever cleaning the bilge that much, expect in shipyard availabilities, and even then not as much as you mentioned ;).

Quid pro quo.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Clean! Clean! Clean!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2006, 01:36 »
On my sub, we cleaned and cleaned and cleaned, whether it needed it or not.  Be ready to give up control of your life and do some things you will feel really stupid about.  I wished I would have had it as good as the guy above.  I've heard the noodle salad stories, and I tried to get there but ended up on a fast attack.  Funny thing is, I'm glad I did it now, feel very proud of myself for being able to drag my *$&utz thru miles of broken glass and still be standing.  Plus the tight-knit feeling on board the sub is something I'll never forget and cherish.  I feel there is nothing I can't accomplish after the hell I went thru that was the US Navy, and I never even got shot at!  Well, it is all relative, but most of the people on board my sub felt the same way.  But I needed the Navy.  If you want a challenge, or if you want to roll the dice to see if you can find a "noodle salad" command, give it a whirl.  You can do 6 or 8, get out at age 33 and have a skill that will always be with you, kinda a "get out of jail free card" if times get rough.  But set your mind right before you go in, you may be in for a hellish time.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?