Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ramifications about changing mind while in dep honeypot

Author Topic: ramifications about changing mind while in dep  (Read 5486 times)

mdaniels

ramifications about changing mind while in dep
« on: Jan 24, 2006, 04:40 »
When my son depped in july 05 he was told it was not binding
and he could withdraw. Since then he has decided to continue
college and does not want to go in. What are the ramifications of
his decision? They are processing the paper work to de-dep him
but say he will forever be banned from enlisting in any branch of
the service in the future. Alot of soul searching went into his decision.
Would like to here from an experienced voice and have read alot
of good insite from many people.
Thanks

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: ramifications about changing mind while in dep
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2006, 05:36 »
I don't know, will he be assigned a reactivaiton code?  Like, when I got out of the navy they gave me a code that said I could come back in if I wanted to.  But he was never actually in, so I don't see what they could do.  I bet they are trying to scare him, but I am not sure.  You don't get much extra for depping, do you?  I know I didn't.  So if you don't get anything for depping, hopefully there isn't much of a penalty for dropping out.  I wish I could help more, but this is an interesting case.  I don't see how it could affect his future employment since he never was actually in the Navy.  He shouldn't get assigned one of the "bad" codes.

graydragon67

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2006, 06:34 »
No, he is not banned.

It's just a petty trick being used by the recruiter.  He/She is upset that all the paperwork they processed is for naught and they are trying the guilt trip to get him to stay in.

Even if he does join up your son (or anyone actually) has 180 days to decide it's not for them.  They can get out with no bad repercussions.  However, 'they' the military doesn't tell you that until day 181!  Mighty nice of 'em, huh?

Tell your son to finish up school.  If he wants to do the military thing then he can come on back.  If his grades are high enough they'll let him be an officer.  If not, he can be an enlisted like some of the guys I've worked with. 

Most importantly, he needs to do what HE feels is Right. 

Good luck

dsv2002

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2006, 06:37 »
HI,
I was in DEP back in 2002 to enter the nuke program. I too decided to go to college instead of the service. They gave me some discharge after a lot of hassel but the reason was for continuing education. I am currently in DEP once again and will ship off this coming Monday. I am enrolled in the nuke program again even though I had to get a waiver for dropping out of DEP back in 2002. So I think they are just trying to scare you because they let me back in and its the same situation.

Danny

sarahm86

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2006, 12:37 »
no i don't believe that either.....when i was eighteen i was in DEP for the air force and they were hardcore screwing me over with the job situation, so i got out and went to college for a while, now im DEP for the navy and everythings gravy :)

mdaniels

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2006, 10:15 »
everything that has been said has pretty much confirmed my feelings.
I told my son you are not getting a W-2 from them for being in DEP. They are just upset
for the time and effort they but into him , its understandable.
Thanks to everyone who read and replied to this.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?