Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu He's an EM!

Author Topic: He's an EM!  (Read 5307 times)

scarecrow55

He's an EM!
« on: Feb 01, 2006, 02:21 »
Just got a letter from my husband in basic that says his final rate is EM! He wanted me to ask for opinions/advice from people here(since I told him about this site) on this rate because the Senior Chief briefing him said it was very similar to ET (I'm sure it really isn't at all, but thats just my assumption). So, here we go! I asked! Thanks in advance!  ;)

Rad Sponge

Re: He's an EM!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2006, 02:36 »
Its a 100% completely different job.

The foundations of both jobs are in electrical and electronic theory but its applications are different entirely.

An ET qualified to be a Reactor Operator (reactor safety, reactor power)
An EM qualifies to be an Electrical Operator (power distribution, loading and unloading electrical generating equipment)

An ET performs diagnostics and calibrations on electronically controlled doo-hickies that directly relate to the Reactor
An EM performs diagnostics, calibrations, and repairs on the electrical ends of motors, generators, lighting systems, basically everything electrical not directly related to Reactor control and reactor safety.

An ET and EM to qualify on many of the same watchstations (Electrical Operator, Throttleman, Auxilliary Electrician Aft, Shutdown Reactor Operator, Reactor Technician, and also Engineering Watch Supervisor later on)

The real difference is the Reactor Operator qualification and what kind of maintenence is performed.

An EM gets really dirty. An EM owns most of a sub's electrical equipment.

graydragon67

« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2006, 06:40 »
JMK is spot on.  Your hubby if he goes SUBs will be working the ENTIRE boat, NOT just in the engineroom.  If it takes electricity to operate, he owns part of it.  Not to mention the motor generators and the generator end of the turbine generators.  He's going to be very busy at work.  Not as busy as the MMs but darn close enough.  If I remember correctly his A school will last 16 weeks?  Maybe more, it's a bit fuzzy.  They are the middle in length as far as the three rates go.

Good luck to ya both
dave

jericho

« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2006, 11:17 »
EM is still 24 weeks - they spread it out so they finish A-School the same time as their ET counterparts.

ccarpenter5423

« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:37 »
I remember a big mistake most people made in boot camp is volunteering subs right away.  He's going to have a year and a half before he has to make that decision, might as well wait it out and see what everyone has to say about it. 

scarecrow55

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2006, 12:48 »
My husband doesn't have a choice in the matter anways. He doesn't qualify to be on subs because of this gnarly scar on his stomach from an operation when he was like born. So Aircraft Carrier he goes! :P

taterhead

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:19 »
So Aircraft Carrier he goes! :P

It's not a bad thing.

It's a pretty good deal to be able to pick up a phone and call home every now and then, even if it does cost $1.00 a minute.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:43 »
 :o

I know medical stuff is all HIPPA and very personal, but since you brought it up....

I just gotta ask?

How does a scar disqualify him from submarine service?

scarecrow55

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2006, 10:17 »
Hehe I really don't know....That's all my husband said to me about that.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?