Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Letters from Home honeypot

Author Topic: Letters from Home  (Read 6494 times)

RAD DAD

Letters from Home
« on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:35 »
A question to those that have been there.
What Kind of letters did you like or not like to get while in Boot?
I would think if you are missing home then you don't want to hear how great things are and how you brother just sleeps late all the time.
Or is a letter from home good no matter what?
I want to write my son to encourage him through not make him miss home more.

taterhead

Re: Letters from Home
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2006, 05:21 »
It is hard fact that we must all learn that life goes on without us.  It is the same when it comes to deployment or any other sort of separation. 

I  would much rather receive a letter that talked about how "everything is fine and there is nothing to worry about" than some other correspondence.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2006, 07:47 »
Here is my  take:

Bad news:

Unless something bad comes up that absolutely requires his attention, keep it to yourself if you suspect it will upset him.

If you can't decide contact the American Red Cross. Tell him the story, and they will relay the message to his superiors who will then filter the information down to him privately.

Never ever put really bad stuff in a letter.

Why? Your boy is under stress and will not be concerned with life as you and I are concerned with life. He will be under stress to worry about things in a way not rational or normal to a civilian. If he receives news that is bad he may:

1. Keep it too himself and have it eat him up inside and negatively affect his performance leading him possibly to #2
2. React or act irrationally or dangerously to himself or others.

Its best for it to come down from his command so they can do what is best for his interests and their interests.

As far as good news goes, keep it coming. The more the better. Getting a letter is awesome!

graydragon67

« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2006, 07:54 »
I say write away.  That's what my folks did.  Here let me give you the best one...

First some background...  My dad works as a truckdriver for the motion picture industry.  When I first signed up for the Nuke program he was filming in Cincinatti, OH.  I was supposed to go in August '88.  In early May I received a phone call from the recruiter saying I could go in early.  When asked how early, I was told in two weeks.  I figured what the heck??  I'm just cooling my jets now.  

My dad called a week after the recruiters did.  He told me that he was going to buy a plane ticket for me to fly out there.  You see, he gotten me a job on the movie as a gopher.  I'd be making 22/hr plus mileage.  Oh and the room and board was free (nice hotels and great food) plus a weekly per diem of about 300 bucks.  Now comes the hard part, I have to tell my dad what I did...silence on the phone...not a good thing...sigh.  I tell my old man that I can tell them no and still fly out BUT, he's the one who taught us boys that your word is your bond.  Man that must of stung him bad!

So on to the letter.  I'm in boot camp, Orlando Florida.  It's FREAKING HOT AND MUGGY!  I hear my name called by the mail po.  I received a large envelope filled with pictures.  Inside is a letter from my Mum.  Ah I can still remember the wording...  Dear #1 (I'm the Oldest), your Dad's movie moved to Las Vegas.  I took your brothers to go visit.  We took some pictures and sent them to you.  The information for each picture is on the back of it.  Love ya Mom...

I look at the first picture, staring back at me is my younger brother (#2), his arm is wrapped around Tom Cruise!  My mom writes on the back, your brother had a great time riding up and down the strip on the back of Tom's motorcycle.  Lucky little...@##$$(*#@(*&$!!!  

I threw that picture out into the space.  Saw the second picture, it's of Dustin Hoffman giving the thumbs up.  Mom writes Dustin says Go Navy...I say go to @#%&**!!!  Mr. Hoffman!!  Another picture goes flying into space.

The next ones were just down right MEAN of my mother.  One was of a bed on a pedestal with ceiling to wall windows behind it overlooking the strip.  The other was of a jacuzzi bath tub big enough to fit 4 adults.  Mom writes on the back of these saying, this is the room you Dad has with the movie.  He (dad) says you could've had one JUST LIKE IT!!  And here I am in boot camp in a big room with 80 snoring guys!!  AAGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

Oh but wait....it gets better (or is it worse?).  Did I mention my Mother is a VERY EVIL Woman?  ELO wrote a song titled that, I think if it was around it would of been playing when she was born.  (I do love her though).  Anyways, the very LAST picture was with my Dad, and two brothers each sitting on the hood of a Lamborgini, three of 'em, red, black and white.  On the back my LOVING mother writes, Your Dad says you could've helped DRIVE these ON and OFF the SET!!!!!!!!!!!  

Now when it's all said and done.  I can laugh about it and share with everyone.  Then...well then I was really pissed off at my mom for being so bloody ruthless.  But, hey time heals all wounds so on and so forth.

So yeah, write 'em a letter.  Put interesting newspaper clippings in it of home.  Heck in a few weeks you can send a 'care package', make sure you send enough that he can 'share' though.

good luck
dave

Oh and the name of the movie...Rain Man...

dsv2002

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2006, 11:33 »
So yeah, write 'em a letter.  Put interesting newspaper clippings in it of home.  Heck in a few weeks you can send a 'care package', make sure you send enough that he can 'share' though.

Ok I have a question on this. What is a care package? When can you send it? And what all do you put in this package?

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2006, 01:44 »

Ok I have a question on this. What is a care package? When can you send it? And what all do you put in this package?

COOKIES AND BROWNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :)

I met Tom Cruise once, he was a first class A**Hole.

Mike

taterhead

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:02 »

When can you send it?

****not at boot camp******

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?