Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Possesions in Charleston  

Author Topic: Possesions in Charleston  (Read 5447 times)

WarKrisMagic

Possesions in Charleston
« on: Feb 23, 2006, 10:58 »
I've been in DEP for about two weeks now, and can't wait to be off on my way to bootcamp.  Make no mistakes, I know I won't like basic, but I'm excited about it none the less, because its something I want to do.  Same thing with NNPS..  I've always been an underachiever in school, doing just what I need to to get by, despite having the abilities to get to much better (I'm a senior now, and my classes valedectorian is a good friend of mine who has been yelling at me routinely since 7th grade about how I should rank higher than him), and I know the time to change that is now.  The tremendous amount of school work for whatever reason sounds like an exciting idea to me.  I look forward to changing my life around.  Part of my decision to join the navy was because of the level of organization and discipline, that I know I could never achieve just on my own.

But now that I've given you my mini-bio, on to my actual questions.  What kind of things can I bring with me to Charleston, as far as personal effects go?  My laptop?  A car?  I have a pet rabbit, and a rat.  Would I have the option to live off base, so that I can bring them with me?

Also, quite unrelated, but I'm curious.  I've seen lots of information on here about what a typical day while in the pipeline is like, and lots of information as far as what actually being deployed is like.  However, I still wonder, what will my typical schedule for basic look like?  Like what can I expect as far as a typical day goes?

WarKrisMagic

Re: Possesions in Charleston
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2006, 05:18 »
Anyone?  Guess I'll ask my recruiter next time I talk to him..

JsonD13

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2006, 08:51 »
Well you can bring just about anything that will fit in a normal size dorm room (no alcohol).  Scrap the pet idea untill after about a year of being in charleston, where you will either move to new york or stay there for prototype.  You will NOT be able to live in town (unless your'e married) while in A school and in NPS. 
As far as a normal day in boot camp went, it's been about 5 years since I've been there but kinda like this
4-4:15 wake up and muster
4:15-5:30 PT
5:30-6am Shower
6-6:45 breakfast
6:45-noon Class, drills, inspections, etc.
noon-12:45 lunch
12:45 - 8pm class, drills, inspections, etc.
8-10pm:  training in barracks, prep for next day, PT, etc.
10pm go to bed

Oh yeah, most likely, 2 of those hours whlie you are "sleeping" you will be on watch.

I'm sure this has changed a little since I've been there though, so ask your recruiter.

visserjr

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2006, 02:59 »
Pets definitely out. Best thing to probably do with pets, is wait until you are married. Simply because who will care for them while you are at school, or out to sea.Most likely your roomies will be on the boat with you. It has been several years since I was at boot camp. I hear that it is more oriented to your needs now vice the way it was in the early nineties. However, I personally feel that no matter what you may hear or not hear about it, boot camp will be a very personal experince for you unlike any other you have experienced to this point in your life. Hopefully, you will learn a lot about who you are, and what you are made of. Patience is a virtue. Best of luck.

John

LaFeet

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2006, 08:43 »
I've always been an underachiever in school, doing just what I need to to get by, despite having the abilities to get to much better ......  I know the time to change that is now. 

DO NOT TAKE THIS ATTITUDE TO Bootcamp, A School and especially not to NPS.  YOu will not make the cut.

WarKrisMagic

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2006, 11:15 »
DO NOT TAKE THIS ATTITUDE TO Bootcamp, A School and especially not to NPS.  YOu will not make the cut.

I know that, thats why I said the time to change is now.  I've already brought my grade up from a D to a B+ in AP Calculus, and am discussing with my teachers what I can do to turn it around in a few of my other classes.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2006, 02:07 »
To get back to original question of what possessions and personal effects to bring...

When you are in Basic, you will get a large duffel bag with shoulder straps called a "seabag" All of your initial issue of uniforms and basic equipment will fit in the seabag. You will be required to maintain that inventory of equipment and uniforms throughout your service. There is a small amount of excess volume in the seabag. You are allowed to bring personal items in that volume. Depending on the mode of transportation to get you to and from your duty station, that seabag maybe dropped from off the helicopter onto the deck of a ship at sea, down the hatch of the sub, thrown in the back of a C-2 Greyhound, etc.  Therefore, items that are delicate, expensive or don't mix well with JP-5 or non-skid or rapid deceleration or blunt trauma might not be a good option.  Believe me, I ruined 2 shortwave radios and lost stuff. Been there.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?