Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Newport News honeypot

Author Topic: Newport News  (Read 6641 times)

ETNW (NavyWife)

Newport News
« on: Mar 18, 2006, 11:31 »
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me.  My husband has recently gotten orders for PCU Bush, so we'll be moving to Newport News.  Anyone lived there who has suggestions on how to find good housing or nice neighborhoods? He's currently at NPTU Charleston.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Newport News
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2006, 05:36 »
It's been a lot of years, but NN was considered a slum when I was there.  Yorktown or Williamsburg are close.  There is Langley AFB there, as well as NWS Yorktown and Fort Eustis.  So you aren't far from the military amenities like dental, medical, exchange, commissary, ... etc.  I lived in Virginia Beach (which is a very large area geographically) The drive was a bit longer, but it was closer to Norfolk, with the huge Navy base there and all the stuff above.  There are (were) also about five Navy installations in the VB area.  Plus there was a nice semi-suburban atmosphere there.  It was almost like living in America (grin).
Get a AAA guide for the area, check with real estate agents, and always ask the Navy wives who have been there.
I have no idea how many of those military installations still exist, but for your own sanity, don't live too close to one.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2006, 06:17 »
Williamsburg is a beautiful area, but IIRC isn't it about an hour from NN? Sometimes the traffic in that area is wicked.

Mike

playbowlin

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2006, 08:29 »

One thing that he might want to consider is the traffic.  Depending on how long the Bush will be in NN before it moves over to Norfolk.  If you live on the peninsula side (Newport News) you will want to check out  Yorktown, Hampton, and Denbigh area of Newport News.  That way he won't get tied up in some possible monster traffic jams going through the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel.  Also, Chesapeake or Suffolk would be worth considering because he would take the Monitor-Merrimac bridge tunnel to Newport News.  When I was there a couple of years ago, traffic wasn't as bad for that tunnel.  Plus, if/when the ship did move over to Norfolk, you would then be on the same side of the water.  It also depends on your interests.  If night life is important to you, you may have to disregard my recommendations because I'm not sure what or where the hot spots are for that type of thing.  Traffic is definitely a big issue in that area though.  They were doing road construction on I-64 the entire 11 years that I was there, and they still weren't finished.  Just another factor for you to consider on this decision.  There is always the option that if you are not sure, rent an apartment with a 6 month or 1 year lease until you have a better idea of the area, and then go to where you feel best suited.

osbel

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2006, 07:43 »
I am also about to report to the Bush.  My girlfriend and I found a really nice place in northern NN.  The rent is alittle high but the area is alot nicer than other places we looked in NN and in Norfolk.  Also we are only about a 15-20 min drive to the yards and there are no tunnels to worry about.  As to how long it will be there, it is due to be commissioned in Oct-Nov 2008 so it should be there until at least then.  If you don't care about the drive times then Chesapeake and Virgina Beach are also nice.  What rate is your husband, I am an ET.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2006, 07:07 »
For those that like to be a little farther away from the military, across the bridge from Yorktown is Gloucester; it's quite rural. Some areas were cheap a few years back....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

taterhead

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2006, 10:13 »
I lived in Gloucester while commissioning the Reagan.

We bought a brand new home, lived in it for 16 months, sold it and made about a 20% profit.

While the rent is a little cheaper out there, property values have largely followed the rest of Hampton Roads.

However, I would still recommend Williamsburg or Gloucester, with Williamsburg being a little closer.

Taylor

badger

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2006, 11:37 »
I live in Newport News, stationed on the USS Carl Vinson

I recommend you live either in Hampton or Newport News *not downtown unless you have a concealed carry permit for a pistol*

Anything across the bay is going to add an extra hour to your commute.

Avoid Jefferson East Apartments like the plague. I live at Waverton Place Impressions which is a 10 minute drive in from the yards and costs ~850$ a month for a two bedroom and love it here.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2007, 07:48 »
I live in Williamsburg.  May I suggest the more affordable Poquoson or Seaford area?
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

ISOCS

« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2007, 10:19 »
I suggest Sandbridge area near Damneck. I lived there when I was in the 2nd grade and it was great to live right on the ocean. It's probably crowded now but you could get a good deal during the winter time.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?