Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu College Credits?

Author Topic: College Credits?  (Read 9593 times)

WarKrisMagic

College Credits?
« on: Mar 21, 2006, 10:02 »
Now, I know my recruiter talks about how easy it'll be to get my degree in the navy, but hey, he's my recruiter.

So here is my question.  Appoximately how many credits are NFAS, NNPS, and Prototype worth, and how likely is it that colleges will actually accept them?  And for what field would they most likely be in?  When I do eventually go for my bachelor's I'd like to major in Calculus, and minor in Education.  Am I going to earn any credits in nuke school that I might be able to put towards this?  Also, what is a typical time-line for getting a bachelor's while in the nuclear navy?  I get the feeling it'd be somewhat difficult to do in the 6 years I'm signed on for now.

Oh, and also, I mentioned in another thread that I want to try to get teaching experience before getting out of the Navy.  Whats the liklihood that I could eventually move to being an instructor at one of the schools, and how long would this typically take?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: College Credits?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2006, 10:59 »
I got 11 credits going to night school while in the Nav.  I could only do this on the Tender, I didn't have enough time on the sub. But, I've heard stories about some who did get degree on sub.  The Navy will pay 75% of your college fees, but I think you have to get a C at least; the catch is getting your command to support you getting to the classroom; many won't.   I didn't want to take correspond. courses though, I wanted to get the classroom experience, which I eventually did.

ACE gives guidelines for what colleges MAY give you for what you've done in the Navy.   Some accredited colleges will give you almost a full degree in Nuclear Technology (Thomas Edison and a couple others) for graduating from the nuclear pipeline, while other colleges won't give you any credit at all.  University of Delaware gave me nothing, but I didn't care, I wanted the entire experience of getting a 4 year degree.  Some schools will give you some credit, and they will give you some credit for taking CLEP tests, which are FREE in the navy, or they were in the 90s. 

My advice is to go to school if you enjoy school and get the experience of going to college.  But, if you don't like school, just try to get that piece of paper to help out your job-getting ability.  Watch out for the Nuclear Technology Degree;  I've heard some places know about it and don't give it the same creedence as other degrees earned in a more traditional manner.  But I do think it has a good amount of value.  My friend got that degree form New York Regents (now called something else), then went back to school and in 2 years and finished his masters from University of Delaware.  He used his experience and that degree to become a financial director for a major nuclear company.   So it is recognized by other universities and it does hold SOME water in the industry.  Maybe your best bet for degree-value/length of time is to find a good school that will give you some large amount of credit hours torwards a degree in Nuclear Engineering.  I see you want a degree in Calc/Edu, but maybe that will change.  I bet you could find a school to give you some credits for that, but I don't know much about education credits for being a Navy Instructor.  someone else will have to help you there.

LaFeet

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2006, 11:08 »
Oh, and also, I mentioned in another thread that I want to try to get teaching experience before getting out of the Navy.  Whats the liklihood that I could eventually move to being an instructor at one of the schools, and how long would this typically take?

If you are sharp and manage to impress your instructors at prototype, you might be selected as a Staff Pick up.  This will help keep you away from the fleet for a few years.

There are billets available at Nuke Power School, Prototype and at various other schools (ie SubSchool, Trident Training facility, etc).  These usually require you to prove yourself out in the fleet prior to being assigned.  Get out there and qualify all you senior watch stations ASAP... Then qualify the supervisory watches.  All that and keep your nose clean and you might be able to go to an instructor billet after your first sea tour.

Either way - good luck

JsonD13

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2006, 11:47 »
I'm not sure where they have a degree in Calculus, maybe math.  But anyways, there is plenty of time to get your degree during a 6 year hitch.  True, getting instructor duty does make it a whole lot easier on you, but it is possible to do it without.  I was a SPU, and I was able to get the Nuclear Engineering Technology degree done in 1 (yes that is one) year.  credit for about 10 courses is what you need beyond nuclear pipeline training.
From what I was told (I talked to someone who just got done teaching at AS school last night) you need 4 years of sea duty, e-5, and EWS (the highest enlisted nuclear watchstation that is not designated for officers) in order to teach at A school or NPS (im sure there are waivers for this though).  to teach at prototype (after sea duty) you need 3 years of sea time, e-5, warfare qualified, and for both i think you need to be in the upper half of both your classes (A school and NPS) (again, waivers can apply). so yes you can be an instructor, but you will be putting in more than 6 years in the navy to do so.  whatever you do, make sure you weigh the options carefully before making life altering decisions such as this

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2006, 08:58 »
To answer the original question, you have almost enough credits for an A.S. degree. Many schools are less generous than the A.C.E recommendations, and a couple are more generous. www.excelsior.edu is one of the most generous for Nukes; take the English Comp. with written essay as E-5 nuke and you have an A.S.
My experience has been that the A.S. can then be moved to another school much easier.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

taterhead

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2006, 05:50 »
By the way, Tuition Assistance is now 100% with a 12 cr hour annual limit.

GI Bill is the best bet.

Most of the credits I received were counted as electives, with a couple of lower level math and science credits.  Actual credits vary by school.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2006, 12:46 »
To answer the original question, you have almost enough credits for an A.S. degree. Many schools are less generous than the A.C.E recommendations, and a couple are more generous. www.excelsior.edu is one of the most generous for Nukes; take the English Comp. with written essay as E-5 nuke and you have an A.S.
My experience has been that the A.S. can then be moved to another school much easier.
This is almost true.  The Nuke pipeline is worth 33 semester hours.  By the time you get out, you'll have most, if not all, of the 60 hours you need for an Associate's Degree, if you consider that you get additional credits for your rate, and rating.  It's different for ET's, EM's and MM's.  I had a bunch of credits for stuff like Blueprint Reading, Personnel Supervision, Marine engineering, Seamanship ..etc.  You even get your PE credits for Boot Camp.  You can take the Math and Science General CLEP exams that are worth 6 semester hrs. each.  The Eng. Comp. w/ Essay mentioned above is another 6.  You can pass it if you were awake half the time in High School.  I don't think any of the credits given are counted as Upper Division.  Whether or not they are counted as electives depends on what degree you are pursuing.  For example, credits in Math or Physics are counted as core requirement credits for an Engineering degree, but most of them are definitely going to be electives if you are going for English Lit.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2006, 12:49 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2006, 04:13 »
This is almost true. 
Actually, it was my exact circumstance as an MM2/SS; as I said some schools offer even more than the ACE guide + counting the PE credits for boot camp & a laundry list of credits from "A" school / PE Basics and Rate Training Manuals. (I didn't get the A.S., I got additional college credits and got a B.S. instead)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

klsas

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2006, 05:35 »
Go to the Navy College web site, register and recieve a copy of your military transcript. If you recently got out, it might be in the system. I had to do it by mail due to the length of time since I was in. This will list the credits that you should receive in an ideal situation. As others have said, some schools are more generous than others.

Keith

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2006, 06:03 »
Actually, it was my exact circumstance as an MM2/SS; as I said some schools offer even more than the ACE guide + counting the PE credits for boot camp & a laundry list of credits from "A" school / PE Basics and Rate Training Manuals. (I didn't get the A.S., I got additional college credits and got a B.S. instead)
AW!!  I'm just ribbin' ya.  You started by saying that you were going to answer the original question, but the original question was how many credits is the nuke pipeline worth.  The answer is 33, but you answer was more informative than that and I couldn't help but expand on it.  Let's say that it was true... and then some.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2006, 02:28 »
I know you guys are just trying to help this kid, but I'm going to add the following so he knows what is up.

Don't take away from this that you only get 33 credit hours for being a nuke.  You could get way more or way less, depending MOSTLY on the SCHOOL and DEGREE you go to get.  It changes every year, so this must be checked every year to be accurate

-More tradtional schools give LESS credits for CLEPS and Navy training of any type.  Most schools are like this.  Schools like for you to go there because they get more money, so I think you usually pay quite a bit of money to get a degree from a school without taking many classes there.

-Thomas Edison.  I wnt and talked to my friend to see exactly what he did.  My buddy got a BS in Business Administration from Thomas Edison about 10 years ago.  He challenged some classes there and only had to take 8 (eight) classes to get his BACHELORS because of challenge tests (not sure if they were cleps) and Navy Training.  (nuclear MM) He turned that into a MBA from U of Delaware and is doing very well today.

-Schools I have heard about that give the mst credits - U of Phoenix, Thomas Edison (in Jersey I think?), and Excelsior.

-University of Delaware gave me NO credit for my NAvy Training or my CLEPS, but I was getting a degree in Psychology.

The point here is ACE guidlines aren't totally accepted by many schools, so ACE isn't very useful unless you are going to the right school.  But, you can "Launder" that degree and turn it into a Masters in a short period of time giving you a degree from a more traditional school that is arguably more acceptable

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?