Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu more questions from a dep'er honeypot

Author Topic: more questions from a dep'er  (Read 13751 times)

cjones2106

more questions from a dep'er
« on: Apr 09, 2006, 01:45 »
Ok, I have a few more questions I'd like to have answered before I leave for RTC. I want to be a nuke (we covered this one), but now it comes down to MM EM or ET. I am pretty sure I want to go the MM route, I hear if I ask for it at RTC I'm pretty much guaranteed it, and I get more college credit for being a MM too. Are there any Nukes out there who could possibly help me out a little, Thanks in advance!

Fermi2

Re: more questions from a dep'er
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2006, 01:49 »
Heck if you ask for ET you're pretty much guaranteed MM.

I'm not sure exactly why you'd get more college credit for being an MM. I've never heard of that, unless of course you become an ELT. You get extra credits because of what you are studying.

Mike

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2006, 05:11 »
do you have any idea whether you want to go subs or surface?  that will make a difference in how much I can help you, since I was aboard subs and sub tender only.  i can tell you how sub life was for the different ratings, especially ELT and Mechanic.  I don't think it will make much difference which rating you choose for college, unless you want to go to college for something electrical or mechanical, like mech eng or EE.  and then it might not matter too much, but it may HELP you with the class material.  there is a good thread on sub vs. surface, look for it.

cjones2106

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2006, 10:09 »
yeah, i'm extreamly interested in subs. please give me some insight on subs. Thanks!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2006, 07:12 »
Well, there is some info on the site.  Check the search function.  Put in boomer, sub, submarine, tender, carrier, seasick, newby, newbie, navy, boot camp, boot, ELT, MM, RL, RC, EM.  I was on 688s from 89-93. 

ELTs (RL Div) - Also are mechanics, smallest nuc divison on board (3-6, normally).  Where the magic happens.  Very tight-knit.  At times, everybody loved us, when we had a really good leading ELT.
Mechanics (M-Div) - Usually largest division on board, my sub they were very cool, always partying, the  Knuckle Draggers.  M-Div can be very cool if it has the right guy leading it.
EMs (E-Div) - Always working!  They were always cleaning the MG (motor generator) sets or doing some kinda crap.  Had the least rack time.  Had cool people but seemed overall on my boat kinda annoying division.  People in this division were going AWOL, always mad, hair falling out due to stress, bad leadership.
ETs (RC div)- Could either go geek or freak here.  A little on the anxious side.  But at times very cool division.

I guess it depends on the people and the leadership.  For instance, because RL div is so small, if you get just 1 bad guy, it sours the whole bunch, while M-Div had so many people, they just ostracized the 1-2 bad guys that they had, and pretty much had a good time at the poor fellows expense.  In M-Div or E-Div you can be a grunt and just do a decent job and probably be ok, in RC or RL div if you are slightly subpar you may standout like a sore thumb due to the Microscope that seems to be on these 2 divisions, and the small amount of people in RL div.  Not saying the other 2 aren't important, just different.  I remember guys that made OK e-divers and m-divers but in my opinion may have had a harder time in RL or RC div.  But all divisions had good guys and these guys could have made it in any one of the 4 nuc divisions.  From some other divison's point of view, ETs and ELTs are sometimes considered prima donnas, so that is the other side of the viewpoint.  In general everybody recognized that the other divisions had their share of good and bad points and were all very important.  Ask questions, and I'll give you more advice.

cjones2106

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2006, 05:59 »
thanks, if you have more info on ELT's that would be great! I also want to know if there are other things I can do, like MM has ELT, what does Em and ET have? Thanks again!

parker3693

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2006, 12:03 »
Okay, you got the scoop from a sub guy.  I was a surface MM on two ships, a cruiser (since decommissioned) and a carrier.  I was NOT an ELT.
I am sure I am biased, so be prepared for the ET's and EM's to fire back. 
If you are an MM, you will be out in the plant, where it's about 110 degrees (though you will NEVER log it as more than 100).  You will be turning valve handwheels as big around as a truck tire, you will be near steam piping all the time - it took about three years after I separated for all the burn scars to fade (I will admit that some of them were earned during mastable activities).  You will sweat like a pig.
On the flip side, if you are mechanically inclined, you will get to tear stuff apart and put it back together, and there is more leeway when you are working on a pump or valve than there is when you are working on electrical or electronic equipment, as in you will probably have fewer people looking over your shoulder while you work.
If you choose ET, most of your watches will be spent sitting in EOS - the control room - which is air conditioned, but all you will do is sit.  When I left 5 years ago, the electronics in the plant were still about 20 years + behind what you have in your desktop computer.  Keep that in mind if the recruiter talks about cutting-edge technology.
EM's also spend a lot of time in air-conditioned spaces, but depending on the watch they can get out and about now and then.  Something about being around high voltage equipment - I usually headed the other way when the electricians came to work on something.  Remember, it's called "electrical THEORY" - it's not "electrical LAW".  There is a difference, and electricity does weird things.
ELT's are responsible for monitoring and maintaining plant chemistry.  They spend most of their time in the Nucleonics Lab (also air-conditioned), pouring beakers into each other.  They do seem to be in demand outside - my best buddy is now an explosives chemist - he makes up new compounds to explode in new and interesting ways, the better to kill people and break things with.  But I digress...
This is a quick and dirty guide - perhaps not completely true, but I dare anyone to tell me that I'm lying...

parker3693 - former MM1

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2006, 07:55 »
thanks, if you have more info on ELT's that would be great! I also want to know if there are other things I can do, like MM has ELT, what does Em and ET have? Thanks again!

EM: Nuttin; they are too busy to have any collateral duties

ET: Nothing; the hands of the fair prima dona can not be tainted by lower labors!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

M1Ark

« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2006, 10:25 »
EM: Nuttin; they are too busy to have any collateral duties

ET: Nothing; the hands of the fair prima dona can not be tainted by lower labors!

Just to modify the previous post from my experience (Cruiser Sailor).

EM Surface: Nothing;  Top-Side conventional E-Div does everything and nuke E-Div are too busy sleeping in berthing during working hours to have collateral duty.

M1Ark

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2006, 10:46 »
MM1 Parker,

Come on! Electrical stuff is not that difficult.  Don't sell yourself short and make it sound like MM's are ignorant of electricity.  I know of many, many ex-MM's that work on high voltage equipment up to 345,000 volts as well as ex-MM's that have torn apart and reassembled 13.8k, 4.16k and 480 volt breakers.  There are also other ex-MM's  that have lifted and landed live electrical leads as part of their daily work routine and can also read schematics and electrical wiring diagrams with the best of them.

All nuke ratings receive sufficient cross-training in the Navy to do well on the outside doing each others job.  I firmly believe that.

CJones,

Choose the rating that interest you in things you like to do.  Everyone giving you comments on this forum will be biased.  I haven't heard of an ex-nuke who says he wishes he would have been an ELT, MM, EM, ET, etc.  Most, including myself,  would choose their original rating if they had to do it all over again.  I spent my 6 year enlistment as an MM and got to take apart perfectly working EDG's, air compressors, and pumps to satisfy a PM or some useless inspection.  Sometimes I actually fixed broken stuff. I spent the last 12 years of my civilian nuke career doing more EM/ET related work.  I think it makes me well rounded in my skill set.  But again, to each his own.

My two cents rolling on the table...

MM1

cjones2106

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2006, 06:26 »
wow, a lot more info than I thought I was going to get. Thanks a ton, I think that MM is the right rate for me, I like to fix things, and I hate sitting and doing nothing. I live on a farm and I'm pretty mechanically inclined, although I can't say the same about my grammar skills, i sucked in english class growing up. I plan on making the Navy my carrer and possibly trasfering to the Officer side of the navy, any advice on how to accomplish that task?

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2006, 01:10 »
I can't say the same about my grammar skills, i sucked in english class growing up. I plan on making the Navy my carrer and possibly trasfering to the Officer side of the navy, any advice on how to accomplish that task?

I believe you are answering your own question. Communicating in writing is very important; excel in this in order to be considered for anything!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

cjones2106

« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2006, 06:28 »
Sounds good, but a few more questions, do most ELT's like their jobs on board subs...how many are usually on a sub, and how do you become an ELT, do you have to be the best in class or something?

M1Ark

« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2006, 10:15 »
Sounds good, but a few more questions, do most ELT's like their jobs on board subs...how many are usually on a sub, and how do you become an ELT, do you have to be the best in class or something?

Good News!!!

You only have to be second best.  The best in your class at prototype will be offered an option of Staff Pickup or ELT and most will pick Staff since they can re-enlist for ELT later.

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2006, 05:25 »
Good News!!!

You only have to be second best.  The best in your class at prototype will be offered an option of Staff Pickup or ELT and most will pick Staff since they can re-enlist for ELT later.

And if you are truly godlike you get picked up as staff, put in a chit to become an ELT and get accepted that way, then take Aux Machinery as your STAR C School (Then never get a chance to go because you break your elbows!!)

By the way, to the guy who posted that BS about Electricty. There's nothing mysterious about it. Y'all don't know what you're talking about.

Mike

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2006, 11:26 »
I got ELT because I was way ahead of the curve, even though in the long run I didn't do very well in prototype.  So you only have to be good for the first 12 weeks or so, then just don't fail out!  I've also heard ELT can be gotten if the Navy decides "oh my gosh, we need ELTs!".  Then maybe your whole class will get ELT.  But that is rare I think.

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2006, 06:57 »
Interesting reads....I wish to become an ELT, but I do not want to pick MM as my first choice out of a small chance of me becoming and ELT...is there by any chance a way to request to be one?

Thanks,   Dennis

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2006, 07:24 »
You have to be an MM to be an ELT.

Mike

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2006, 12:03 »
Yes, I am aware...Forgive me I'm not saying things properly how I mean to say them... I just do not want to select MM knonwing that all the odds are against me becoming an ELT. It seems like no matter what rating I pick ill be a MM anyways...but is there a certain place during school where I could ask to be considered for ELT, if selected as a MM? thanks....

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2006, 12:37 »
Oh, heck when I was at prototype you cold put in a chit to ask for ELT about as soon as you arrived as a student. So far as I know you can't do it until after Nuke School.

I actually made E-5, got picked up as a SPU, was told by my Crew Chief if I put in for ELT, he spoke the truth. In fact he walked the chit through for me.

6 months later I reenlisted and since I was already going to be an ELT and they weren't taking welders my only other choice was Aux Machinery Package.

I made E-6 a few months after I got on the boat, the XO asked if I really gave a darn about my C School because for the most part it wouldn't teach me anything that I hadn't already shown good knowledge. I told him I didn't care if I went or not, it wasn't like it was going to help me advance.

That day I broke both my elbows, they never healed so 18 months later I was out of the Navy at 5 years 10 months. (Though they paid me for another 4 months!!)

Soon my disability checks start coming!

Mike

parker3693

« Reply #20 on: Apr 18, 2006, 11:01 »
Perhaps I exaggerated a bit about electricity.  However, have you ever seen a fireball come out of a TG and chase some poor mechanic around the engine room?  I have...besides, it's not the volts that kill you, it's the amps. 

When choosing your rate, just think about what you like to do.  If you tore apart your radio as a child to see how it worked, you should probably go EM.  If you tear apart your computer, go ET.  If you just like to tear anything apart that happens to be close at hand, go MM.  If you like to do nothing, go MM then beg to become an ELT.  Come on ELT's, bring it!

MM1

Rad Sponge

« Reply #21 on: Apr 18, 2006, 11:50 »
Parker,

Aptly put.

Former ELT turned civilian chemistry tech.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2006, 11:59 »
In raw numbers, I have seen more ELT's go on to be successful Chem Techs or RadCon Techs. From my experience, the best success for OPS has been from Navy Nuke MM's.

Perhaps that is only because many ET's go into instruments and many EM's go into commercial electrician slots. Regardless of the reasons, it is impressive the number of successful MM's in the commercial nuclear field.

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Apr 18, 2006, 12:15 »
Great information. I'm beginning to find thinks of all three that I like...so, i just will be happy with any of them for their own individual reasons. I really really really want to be an ELT though. But, I would not b mad at all if I were an ET, EM, or a MM. I can't wait to find out what I get.  :)

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Apr 18, 2006, 12:56 »
If you really want ELT, put in for MM. Then excel as an MM; if you are near the top in your classes, you stand a good chance of getting picked up.

Of course, if you don't get picked up, you could still get RadCon experience training / experience with RadCon Monitors Course and follow-on RCSS tour at a maintenance activity. But it would not really impact you at normal (SSN / SSBN / CVN) assignments.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?