Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Options for integrating STA duties on shifts honeypot

Author Topic: Options for integrating STA duties on shifts  (Read 14383 times)

NucEng for Hire

Options for integrating STA duties on shifts
« on: Apr 14, 2006, 12:17 »
As a mechanical engineering B.S. and nuclear engineering M.S. graduate interested in operations, I want to fully understand application of the role of Shift Technical Advisor, and how its need is met in commercial plants. My goals in employment are applying my education in practical use, and putting myself in a situation for future career advancement, and I think this is a great way to do both. I’ve heard differing (and sometimes conflicting) views - even in past posts on this board - so I’ll post my understanding of it, and look to the forum for any critiques if someone feels I’ve misconstrued the process.

It is my understanding that the STA position originated post-TMI in an attempt to integrate engineering expertise on shift. Qualifications for the STA were offered by INPO (reference 1 below). The NRC offered two options to assimilate the STA position as part of shifts (reference 2); one option involved the training and use of dedicated STAs as additions to shifts, the second involved one of the two SRO license-holders on shift being a degreed engineer (or equivalent). The NRC preferred the latter, as there were concerns that dedicated STAs would not be fully integrated members of the shift.

Presently, examples of either option exist at plants today. Specific to my situation, it is my understanding that I have several avenues to progress toward the roles that apply STA skills, examples of which I’ve seen posted on utility career pages:

1. Find a plant that utilizes dedicated STAs, and attempt to hire in for that position. Qualifications for the STA position include the ABET degree (which I have) and 18 months of experience (per references 3 & 4), which I would receive over the course of a typical 18 month training regimen for STA certification.

2. Find a plant that utilizes the dual-role SRO/STA and offers full training toward instant-SRO licensure (ie something outside of accelerated schedules). Of the 3 year experience requirement, one year credit is accomplished via my prior degree, 18 months is accomplished via the typical SRO full training regimen, and the remaining 6 months would be met through plant rotations commencing upon my hire but prior to the SRO training class. (For the purposes of this post, assume that I do in fact have the character assertiveness to succeed in an SRO position, and am not an engineer that has to crunch numbers in the corner…).

3. Find an entry job as a plant engineer or NLO, and attempt to bid into instant-SRO from there. My concerns here would be the time it takes to see that opportunity, and possibly extended time with duties and roles I am not passionate about (more so in the case of the the salaried engineer). If anyone has any validation or counterargument to my worries here, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks for taking the time, and I appreciate any replies.

REFERENCES

Institute of Nuclear Power Operations, “Nuclear Power Plant Shift Technical Advisor – Recommendations for Position Description, Qualifications, Education, and Training.” Appendix C of NUREG-0737; 04/30/1980.
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/staff/sr0737/final/sr0737.pdf

Nuclear Regulatory Commission, “Policy Statement on Engineering Expertise on Shift.” 50 FR 43621; 10/28/1985.
http://www.nrc.gov.edgesuite.net/reading-rm/doc-collections/commission/policy/50fr43621.pdf

American Nuclear Society, “Selection, Qualification, and Training of Personnel for Nuclear Power Plants.” ANSI/ANS-3.1-1993 R1999.
electronic link not found

Nuclear Regulatory Commission, “Qualification and Training of Personnel for Nuclear Power Plants.” Regulatory Guide 1.8 Rev 3; May 2000.
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/reg-guides/power-reactors/active/01-008/
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006, 12:23 by NucEng for Hire »

NucEng for Hire

Re: Options for integrating STA duties on shifts
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2006, 12:31 »
A tag-on question:

Are the INPO ACAD guidelines for training STAs and Reactor Operators (mentioned by M1Ark in a separate thread) available in electronic form anywhere?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2006, 12:37 »

It is my understanding that the STA position originated post-TMI in an attempt to integrate engineering expertise on shift. Qualifications for the STA were offered by INPO (reference 1 below). The NRC offered two options to assimilate the STA position as part of shifts (reference 2); one option involved the training and use of dedicated STAs as additions to shifts, the second involved one of the two SRO license-holders on shift being a degreed engineer (or equivalent). The NRC preferred the latter, as there were concerns that dedicated STAs would not be fully integrated members of the shift.

1. Find a plant that utilizes dedicated STAs, and attempt to hire in for that position. Qualifications for the STA position include the ABET degree (which I have) and 18 months of experience (per references 3 & 4), which I would receive over the course of a typical 18 month training regimen for STA certification.

I believe the quote I heard in license class was, "Yeah, on the simulator your crew can call for the STA. For the purposes of the examination process, it will be as useful as having a steam table."
Point being that dedicated STAs were not as integrated as the rest of the shift. Most plants that have dedicated STA positions are looking for ways to replace them with integrated positions. More cost effective, in most cases.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NucEng for Hire

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2006, 12:46 »
I believe the quote I heard in license class was, "Yeah, on the simulator your crew can call for the STA. For the purposes of the examination process, it will be as useful as having a steam table."
Point being that dedicated STAs were not as integrated as the rest of the shift. Most plants that have dedicated STA positions are looking for ways to replace them with integrated positions. More cost effective, in most cases.

Thanks for the reply.

So these plants with dedicated STAs - what are the STAs doing? Are they reviewing plant logs, monitoring plant status, and participating in turnover as recommended by the guides? Or do they do their basic training then go on-call, over in engineering, but doing something different (and if so, what?).

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006, 12:47 by NucEng for Hire »

M1Ark

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2006, 12:50 »
A tag-on question:

Are the INPO ACAD guidelines for training STAs and Reactor Operators (mentioned by M1Ark in a separate thread) available in electronic form anywhere?

You're referring to INPO ACAD 00-003.  And no I don't think it's offered on the internet.  Try finding INPO's website.  But this ACAD document is just Reg. Guide 1.8 that's easier to read with some of the items and criteria explained.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2006, 12:55 »
Dedicated STAs perform turnover, and then perform administrative functions as required for the duration of the shift. For example, on mids they may prepare the morning report. On days, they may act as engineers. In fact, I have seen STAs staffed only on night shift, with assignments to engineers that would be there anyway for day shift.

STAs do have a REQUAL component of their training, which is specified by the site training plan. This can be at the same frequency as OPS, or quarterly.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

M1Ark

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2006, 01:19 »
Thanks for the reply.

So these plants with dedicated STAs - what are the STAs doing? Are they reviewing plant logs, monitoring plant status, and participating in turnover as recommended by the guides? Or do they do their basic training then go on-call, over in engineering, but doing something different (and if so, what?).

Yes to all of the above.  Each plant does a little variation to the mix.  A lot of what STA's do on a routine basis is determined by who pays them.  Here's some examples ---

Plant 1  - STA's paid by Ops and is an SRO licensed individual and perform's all of the duties you described but is primarily tasked with work control type tasks. This individual works closer with the CRS and SM than a traditional STA.  He's more a an SRO than an STA.

Plant 2 - STA's paid by Ops and is not SRO licensed. Performs the tasks listed by you but is primarily tasked with procedure reviews, procedure changes and all other things administrative in direct support of the Operations Department.  Sort of like an on-shift procedure writer.

Plant 3 - STA's paid by Engineering and is not SRO licensed. Performs the tasks listed by you but is primarily tasked with Corrective Action Documents assigned to engineering and works on Engineering Department backlogs and all other things administrative in direct support of the Engineering Department.  You'll only see this guy at turnover and when he is required to take certain readings in the control room.

There are probably other examples but the three I listed are of real plants and again everyone seems to manage the STA position differently.

NucEng for Hire

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2006, 01:31 »
Thanks for the good replies. Wish I had heard of this forum sooner...

I see job postings with descriptions similar to those listed above for STA, but posted as "Shift Engineer". Is this just plant-to-plant semantics, or is it in fact a different position?

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2006, 01:57 »
Maybe not an STA, but could be qualified STA if the plant needed it.

M1Ark

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2006, 02:38 »
Shift Engineer is the official title of STA's at Fermi.  It seems that plants that have gone to dual role STA's (read SRO licensed STA) have changed their title to reflect the added responsibilities.  Again each plant is a little different and the one you're referring to might call something else that's entirely different Shift Engineer.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2006, 02:46 »
TVAN just calls them SRO and puts STA after their name on a watchbill. most of the time it's a Unit Supervisor but sometimes it's a Shift Manager qualified person. If it's the Unit Supervisor who has control of the Unit they'll relieve him as US if something happens that requires an STA.

Fermi was lazy and didn't want to write a procedure for doing this.

There aren't too many plants that have dedicated STAs anymore. Palo verde is one that does.

ACADS are not available online, in fact no real INPO info is available online.

Nuke Eng, PM me please.

Mike

NucEng for Hire

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2006, 10:16 »
I wish to pass along my thanks to the forum for input that really honed my search for employment within nuclear power operations. I targeted about a half dozen NLO openings, sat for the POSS and interviews for a few, and eventually got noticed as a potential direct-SRO candidate. I will be relocating to Louisiana this summer, where River Bend personnel have planned a structure of rotations to help prepare me for a mid-2007 SRO class.

Thanks again to the Holy Trinity of operations advice (Broadzilla, M1Ark, Roll Tide) and the many others who took the time to reply. It’s a good time to be entering the nuclear industry.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2006, 02:44 »
Congratulations!

When you figure out how well the program is set up down there, post us. Sounds like excellent timing for you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?