Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke and waivers

Author Topic: Nuke and waivers  (Read 8159 times)

callmeltc

Nuke and waivers
« on: May 10, 2006, 06:13 »
Round 2 here...

In Jan 05 I decided I wanted to apply for the nuke program in the Navy. I spoke with a recruiter in Tallahassee FL where I was staying at the time. I filled out paper work with him knowing I would need a waiver for failing math classes because I never went, and dropping math classes in high school. I also knew I would need one for having surgery, and another for smoking pot a handful of times. Other then that, no problems at all.

Well when the marijuana issue came about, the recruiter told me not to mention it. This didn't sit well with me. I recieved some advice from people on this board, but in the end, pushed the idea aside as I was not comfortable with the whole situation.

Fast forward to Today:

I began talking with another recruiter in my home town about the Nuke program. More or less, I wasn't taken seriously due to needing my waivers and what not, and all I heard was "when can we send you up to MEPS". Well today I take the ASVAB for the first time, and low and behold, a 98%. Now the recruiter can't get me back to the office to fill out paper work fast enough. Then we run into the issue again of me smoking pot. He tells me that it is no longer waiverable for the Nuke program and if I want in, I can't put it down. He went as far as his commanding officer took me into another room, shut the door and told me this, told me to walk out the front door, count to 15, and come back in. When I came back in, there was a new form for me to fill out, and I was told that the only thing they're going to know is what I tell them.

I'm tired of this running around with them. I'm not going to lie about this stuff and have it come back up later on. If someone on here is a recruiter who is willing to work with me, I will drive/fly to you location to do this the right way, or if anyone has some other constructive advice, I would appreciate it.

Wirebiter

Re: Nuke and waivers
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 08:05 »
I'm not a recruiter, but I am in the navy.  It seems you can either wait until the Nuke program does allow waivers for your situation (which could change any day), or maybe look into another rate, such as cryptology (code breaking/electronic surveilance) or firecontrol technicians (weapon system guidance/computer networking).  There are other options that the Navy has, and with your high asvab score, you probably will excell at whatever you do.

Don't let ANY recruiter goat you into signing anything you do not feel comfortable signing.   PERIOD!! >:(

Understand that their job is to put people into the Navy.  They will not be around after you leave for bootcamp, but your feelings will be.  Stick to your guns.  Good things will happen

-Good Luck!! ;)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 07:14 »
I am not a recruiter, but I did have a guy in my division that was a former nuke. He had smoked pot before entry, and told his recruiter about it. His recruiter told him (at that time) the policy would allow him entry with smoking pot once. It seemed innocent enough to say it was only once.

Fast forward to "A" school. You have to fill out the forms again. He put down that he had smoked pot once, but he gave a different date. No longer in the nuke pipeline, he went to the fleet as an undesignated Fireman Apprentice (E-2) after Captain's Mast.

No way I would lie to get in, and I would warn anyone against it. I agree with Wirebiter, if you want in now, don't go Nuke. There are other good programs. If Nuke is the only way you want to go in, then stand your ground.

Doing the right thing may be uncomfortable for now, but doing the wrong thing will follow you the rest of your life.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

WIFEY26525

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 12:38 »
how long since you smoked the stuff ? more than a few months and there is no possible way to detect it. if it's been that long....then sign the papers....it never happened....no way to prove otherwise.   somebody says they saw you smoke dope ?? prove it ! if they saw you they were smokin' it too !
if they can't prove it ....it never happened ! have a nice life in the nuclear navy

former MM1, CVAN65 1974-1978 reactor mechanic
they smoked pounds of dope under the main condenser then !

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 12:45 »
how long since you smoked the stuff ? more than a few months and there is no possible way to detect it. if it's been that long....then sign the papers....it never happened....no way to prove otherwise.   somebody says they saw you smoke dope ?? prove it ! if they saw you they were smokin' it too !
if they can't prove it ....it never happened ! have a nice life in the nuclear navy

former MM1, CVAN65 1974-1978 reactor mechanic
they smoked pounds of dope under the main condenser then !

Worst advice here. I wouldn't follow it. Eventually you'll need a security clearance and when they do the investigation, and TRUST ME Post 9/11 they're very serious about the investigation, one of your old buddies will let it slip then WHAM, you'll be nowhere, denuked, busted at least one rate, then where will you be?

Mike

WIFEY26525

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 11:10 »
TO Broadzilla

not to belabor the point, but if someone from your past decided to call your company and say you used to smoke dope, that means you are forever banned, fired, denuked ?

BULL !!!
there has to be some proof , pictures, positive drug tests, police reports ......some sustantial proof that you are guilty of the allegation.
if this were not true anybody could ruin anyone they disliked with just a comment. this is why we have slander and libel laws.

as in nuclear power "if you didn't document it, you didn't do it",
the same goes in the above case "if there is no proof you did it, you didn't do it ".

everybody has skeletons in thier closet, why would someone admit something that could hurt them, if there is no evidence to show they did it. why screw yourself needlessly ?

they made a mistake when they were younger, they got smarter, now they are ready to get on with thier life. why mess it up ?

just my humble opinion,

Deeke

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 11:00 »
Oddly enough I just got my contract for the nuclear power program today. I'm not sure about your issue with your waivers but I had 3 of them. One for smoking weed, one for possesion of a short fish ticket, and a disorderly conduct ticket. I had the interview thing over the computer with a webcam. The co didn't even talk hardly about the pot he was really only concerned with the disorderly conduct ticket and I got waived after maybe a 4 - 5 minute conversation. Also there was never any doubt that I would get waived in the first place. So I'm not real sure why you are having the issue of getting your waiver.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 11:07 »
TO Broadzilla

not to belabor the point, but if someone from your past decided to call your company and say you used to smoke dope, that means you are forever banned, fired, denuked ?

BULL !!!
there has to be some proof , pictures, positive drug tests, police reports ......some sustantial proof that you are guilty of the allegation.
if this were not true anybody could ruin anyone they disliked with just a comment. this is why we have slander and libel laws.

as in nuclear power "if you didn't document it, you didn't do it",
the same goes in the above case "if there is no proof you did it, you didn't do it ".

everybody has skeletons in thier closet, why would someone admit something that could hurt them, if there is no evidence to show they did it. why screw yourself needlessly ?

they made a mistake when they were younger, they got smarter, now they are ready to get on with thier life. why mess it up ?

just my humble opinion,

Because they were asked whether they've ever done it and are required to give an honest answer. Seems simple doesn't it?

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?