Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu movin on up honeypot

Author Topic: movin on up  (Read 4675 times)

Offline smoothtoaster

• Light User
movin on up
« on: Jun 09, 2006, 08:06 »
This is my first post (I figured that if everyone else always said that I might as well too). I am enlisting soon, I gotta get back in shape before I will feel comfortable enlisting. I am planning on entering the nuke program. My dream ever since I was a kid was to captain a sub. Is it even possible to raise that far up the ranks by enlisting in the nuke program? I hope to get into the academy after nuke school. I'm not trying to sound cocky but I know that if it is possible then I have the ability to have a chance at making it happen. I'm perfectly happy with the prospect that I wouldn't be able to do it and just serve as a nuke on a sub. It's just my little pipe dream.

---------------------------------
smoothtoaster

Fermi2

Re: movin on up
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2006, 10:26 »
I suggest reading through the hundreds of other posts dealing with this matter. Part of being a nuke is learning to do your own research.

I suppose enlisting then later becoming a Captain of a Sub is possible, but highley unlikely.

Why not just try to get into an officer plan from the get go?

Mike

Offline smoothtoaster

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2006, 01:43 »
because college didnt work out.

-----------------
smoothtoaster

JsonD13

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2006, 09:39 »
What I would do if i was in your situation is to try and apply for the academy before I went enlisted.  I am assuming that college didn't work out for you because you, like I was at one point, were possibly too immature and dropped out.  The academy, like any other military institution, should be able to knock that out of you and increase your work ethic.  Now if your situation was financial or something else, the academy would be able to work with that even easier.  Also, if you don't get into the academy before you enlist, try applying while you are in school not just after.  After school you will be assigned to a carrier/sub and will have little time to apply for it (aka life will be tougher).  Remember to check the eligibility requirements of the school though, because if you are married, you can't go.

taterhead

« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2006, 04:03 »
Chances are if you screwed up your GPA in college already the academy will not take a chance on you, in my opinion.

Never hurts to try, but if you decide to enlist, plan to be enlisted.  If the officer stuff happens after that, then great.  If not, still ok.

Somebody's gotta turn valves, ya know :)

Offline smoothtoaster

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2006, 05:18 »
Somebody's gotta turn valves, ya know :)

true that. its what i plan on doing, i was just curious about the possibility of fulfilling my little childhood pipe dream. some kids want to be astronauts, i wanted a sub.

however, i am super excited about valve turning school.

------------------------
smoothtoaster

Xhelix

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2006, 10:53 »
Everyone so far is right -- I'm currently in power school and if your dream is to be a Captain then enlisting is a bass akwards way of getting there.

Your best chance would be to look into the Academy or maybe (assuming you are capable) go through NROTC at your college.

Best of luck to ya.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2006, 10:30 »
I suppose enlisting then later becoming a Captain of a Sub is possible, but highley unlikely.

Best CO I ever had was Captain England of the USS M.G. Vallejo (Blue). He spent enough time in to make Chief (Nuke ET), then got out and went through college and came back in and made it up to command rank. VERY rare; consider officer programs first.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?