Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NRC Grants 1st License in 30 Years  

Author Topic: NRC Grants 1st License in 30 Years  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
NRC Grants 1st License in 30 Years
« on: Jun 25, 2006, 10:57 »
ALBUQUERQUE -- The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has issued its first license for a major commercial nuclear facility in 30 years, allowing an international consortium to build what will be the nation's first private fuel source for commercial nuclear power plants.

Construction of the $1.5 billion National Enrichment Facility, under review for the past 2 1/2 years, could begin in August, and the plant could be ready to sell enriched uranium by early 2009, said James Ferland, president of the consortium of nuclear companies, Louisiana Energy Services.

The plant, licensed on Friday, will be built near the small southeastern New Mexico community of Eunice, where support for the project is strong.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/24/AR2006062400838_pf.html

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
Re: NRC Grants 1st License in 30 Years
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2006, 12:40 »
Hey Ren, long time no see.  I am the Security Sup out there, and just posted some potential job openings on the Security Forum.  This is going to be a great place to work, and the company is top notch.  I will post more when I can.

Brigrat.

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2006, 12:42 »
I should add that I have been talking with LES since April, and actually living in the vicinity of the plant for 1 week.  The town is very nice, and this is going to be a major undertaking in the next 6-8 years.

alphadude

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2006, 10:39 »
Although LES is the latest and greatest... dont expect a lot. Basically, its a mid scale chemical factory. Expect about 60 full time employees mostly guards and custodial.  The UF6 storage issue hasnt been addressed and most of the money will leave the States because of foreign ownership. The location is actually in the middle of no-where, which is always touted as a low-cost of living which equates to lower wages.  Most of management will live out of state which dont really benefit the host state of NM. 
The first fuel processed will be Canadian and so will the uranium- no plans for processing American uranium are in the works. 
(these facts based upon study conducted by the NM)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?