Reference, Questions and Help > Polls

Passing Grade for Plant Entrance Exams

<< < (2/3) > >>

let-it-ride:
99% of the HP tests have nothing to do with what we do. Why not prove ability by doing a mock up job?  I know the answer, cost!  I have always passed with a high score in both HP & Doe.  I usually study for about 3-4 weeks.  The next day, for -get- about it. Would a mechanic be asked to design a car in order to have a job? We all know Techs that can pass tests but are terrible HP's., plus Techs that are great HP's but have a hard time with the tests. Something more practicle, or in the middle should be used.
I remember at IP3 taking a test, in the middle of it the instructor took all the papers and sent us to do something else.  The next day all of our grades were R-80. When asked what that meant, we were told the score was a Remedial 80%. When asked what THAT meant. We were told that R-80 meant that we were CLOSE ENOUGH. Everyone passed. Then we went to the MIND MAP class!!!

SloGlo:
passing grade should be 80%. test subject matter should be relevant to the work to be performed.  if someone is going to sit a control point doing frisker watch, then test for basic knowledge and communicative abilities.  there is no need to test for knowledge of mathematics >algebra, nor physics >basic science if a person is going to be a meter reader, barrier installer during an outage.  if they are going to do radiological assessments, then a different test should apply. and so on up the ladder.

Rain Man:

--- Quote ---test subject matter should be relevant to the work to be performed.
--- End quote ---

Sloglo, you know better than that.  I have yet to take a test that dosen't expect you to almost be capable of splitting the atom in your backyard. Especially when you will be supporting the mucking out the sub-pile sumps.  I always ponder function of the mitochondria in a cell during high contamination/dose jobs.

SloGlo:

--- Quote ---

Sloglo, you know better than that.  I have yet to take a test that dosen't expect you to almost be capable of splitting the atom in your backyard. Especially when you will be supporting the mucking out the sub-pile sumps.  I always ponder function of the mitochondria in a cell during high contamination/dose jobs.

--- End quote ---

splittin atomz ina back yard ain't no big deal, yinze just gotta get that little axe out.  probs arise with keeping tracka alla those pesky little splintery thingies.  however, i too must confess that when strolling around a s/g cubicle, ro2a in hand, i have a tendency to, theoretically at least, quark a bit.

RP Instructor:

--- Quote ---Having been a trainer at a DOE facility I can now say:

1. 20% of the work force could not read a lick.
2.  Since the Union fostered this I could not flunk them on tests.
3.  The tests were read to them with mucho emphisis on the correct answer ie: when making the wrong choice the reader would say ARE YOU SURE THAT IS THE ANSWER YOU WANT OR WOULD YOU LIKE ANOTER CHOICE.
4. I was removed from my position for not going along with the status quo.

So in answer to the question :It is a cattle chute.  Feed them through the line to get them in.
--- End quote ---

I too, have found adults that could not (or had limited ability to) read, and was both appalled that they were seeking employment in nuclear power, and saddened, for I knew they had to be embarassed that their secret was uncovered.
Admittedly, I have helped those I knew were struggling and floundering, by helping them "reason-out" the correct answer, but I wanted to be sure they understood what was being taught to them. I have cringed at folks that barely passed with a "70" (after the second try), hoping that I would not encounter them working independently in the RCA.
You may have been discharged for not having "gone-along" with the status quo, T.C., but you maintained your integrity, and should be proud for having done so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version