Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Commited to Six Years

Author Topic: Commited to Six Years  (Read 6271 times)

thelonerx

Commited to Six Years
« on: Jul 10, 2006, 01:53 »
 I´m a depper who got into the nuke field. I did one year of college and I didn´t like it (financial and social reasons). My ship date, as of now, is Feb. 14th of next year. I dont want to make a career out of the Navy but just want to get some kind of independence from my family, see the world, and fulfill one of my goals in life to serve my country. My question is this, is it a good idea to become a nuke if I just want to do my six years and go? if not, what are some jobs I should be thinking about?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: Commited to Six Years
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2006, 06:52 »
It was a good thing I went into the Navy.  I had a good time for part of it.  I ended up staying in 7 years as a Nuke.  If I would have went to college at age 18 I would have screwed it all up.  I went to college 11 years later and got way more out of it than if I would have done it straight outta HS.  And not just in academics.  If you are not ready for college and need some kinda guidance like I did, then try the Navy.  I needed the Navy at the time.  Navy nuke is a good way to make some dollars later on.  Maybe not as cool as being a SEAL or an Air Force PJ or even maybe a crypto guy.  There are alot of cool jobs in the Navy and other services.  Make sure you look into them and get an A-School and a contract stating exactly what you want.  If they won't give you that, decide if it is really worth it to you, but go into the recruiter armed with knowledge.

Some possibly cool fields, and realize I don't know many of them because I was a Navy Nuke, which locked me out of some cool jobs, although I did get to go to dive school eventually.

Crypto
Air Force Pj
Seal/Green Beret/Ranger for the gungho military type
Navy Diver as a career
EOD - explosive guy
Officer programs leading to commisions doing cool stuff like pilot.
Radiomen in the NAvy can get billeted to some cool places.
Fast Attack Submariners (like I was) get more part calls than Boomers/Tridents.

you have to think out of the box in some ways.  For instance, maybe being a Navy radioman isn't the coolest thing in the world, but you may be able to get a Top Secret clear. and radiomen are needed EVERYWHERE there is a naval base, but nukes arent.  When I found out I could only get stationed in 5 or 6 places I was kind of freaked out.  I didn't want to go  to stupid Norfolk!  So, think about that, Navy Nuke will be stationed in very few places out of Power School.  If you want to be stationed in Jacksonville, you gotta be something that Jacksonville NEEDS. 

But nukes can make some good dollars in the civ world and more power plants will prob be built in near future.  An EOD may not be able to make a living out of the Navy as easily as a Nuke.  What are your priorities?  Rhetorical question, don't answer.

Think about these things, and repost with more Q if you have them.

taterhead

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2006, 07:28 »
For instance, maybe being a Navy radioman isn't the coolest thing in the world, but you may be able to get a Top Secret clear. and radiomen are needed EVERYWHERE there is a naval base, but nukes arent. 

Yeah, but you don't want to be a radioman, because we got rid of that rating like 5 or 6 years ago  ;D

Now they are conventional ETs.

thelonerx

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2006, 07:54 »
Well, as far as what I want to do after the Navy, I'm not too sure because I have alot of things I want to do. Even while in college I couldn't make up my mind about my major either. What interested me about being a nuke is the opportunity to make money in the civilian world with the skills I'll have and etc. I do really well in math and science, especially science, areas.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2006, 08:29 »
If you LIKE science and math, nuke is something to think about.

Yeah, RM turned into ET, and ETs do RM stuff now, and probly other stuff.  Haven't been on a Sub since '93.  So check into things but the gist should still be the same.  Heck, I'm surprised we still have boomers left.  I figured someone would have said "sorry dude, the last boomer decom was in 2004".  but I guess not.

Did you like or take physics in college/HS?  I remember taking HS physics in 12th grade and although I only got a b+, I really liked it and thought "I'd like to know more about this stuff."  Nuke power school is interesting in that respect.

As far as Nuke goes summed up in one sentence, it may be one of the best ways to make some dollars when you get out, but there are probly cooler jobs in the services.

Extra on being a nuke:  it is fairly challenging if you feel like you haven't been challenged enough.  Most guys, even the guys that do well, have a hard time at some point thru nuclear power pipeline.  Some of the guys that do well in Power school don't do so hot in Prototype.  I was one of those guys.

My buddy Klonecki had one of the Highest GPAs in Nuke School but couldn't handle some of the pressure/hours and almost failed a test getting put on Ordered Hours, then ended up making it and being a good nuke.  Another guy, Moch, had like a 3.8, but did stupid stuff (I can't remember what), and got denuked in power school.

thelonerx

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2006, 08:11 »
in high school, my math courses were Algebra 1 & 2, Geometry, and something called "Interactive Mathematic Program" (it was a combination of Algebra and Geometry since I failed Algebra 2, however, I took the nuke test and passed that and filled out a waiver and blah blah blah). In college, I took Pre-Calculus 1 (my advisor said I should start with this).  As far as sciences, I took Biology Honors, Earth and Physical Science, Chemistry,and  Anatomy and Physiology in high school.  I have no worries about failing because of math or science, I only worry about having a poor instructor/teacher.

bordway

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2006, 09:59 »
I'm at my half way point in NPS.  I did okay in A school and am doing pretty well in NPS (A School GPA - 3.11, current NPS GPA - 3.5).  Those two numbers are proof anyone can do it, a challenge should not be something to make you think about another job in the Navy.  All the instructors say the only job (unless you're an officer) is to be a nuke otherwise you really aren't getting the most of your navy time.  This school will be the hardest thing you've done, don't believe me like I didn't believe anyone before I went, but you'll see after signing out on Sunday realizing in the last week you've put in 20 hours (or more for some people).  If you are motivated and look at it long term you'll get through here with a little work.  Your previous schooling sounds like you will be a little bit behind where fellow classmates will be but instructor help is plentiful.  so just stay positive/motivated/out of trouble and you'll do great. that or your section advisor will make you haha.

M1Ark

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2006, 10:24 »
in high school, my math courses were Algebra 1 & 2, Geometry, and something called "Interactive Mathematic Program" (it was a combination of Algebra and Geometry since I failed Algebra 2, however, I took the nuke test and passed that and filled out a waiver and blah blah blah). In college, I took Pre-Calculus 1 (my advisor said I should start with this).  As far as sciences, I took Biology Honors, Earth and Physical Science, Chemistry,and  Anatomy and Physiology in high school.  I have no worries about failing because of math or science, I only worry about having a poor instructor/teacher.

You're HS grades and courses sound similar to mine.  I failed 4 semesters of Algebra 2 and didn't even take Physics of any kind in HS or college.  I suffered the first part of nuke school and was around a 3.1 student the first 9 weeks.  Something in me started to click once all of the HS review part of nuke school was over.  There will come a point in nuke school where everyone will start seeing new information.  That is when I started to consistently score 3.8+ on every exam I took. I took pride in crushing  fellow Engineering Degreed classmates.  Finished nuke school with a 3.65 and received a CO Commendation letter upon graduation.  Went on to be a Staff Pickup at prototype and SRO at both a commercial PWR and BWR.  Some of us were too immature and/or party animals in HS and needed the navy to help us mature.  Don't let your past grades or courses taken sway your decision on going nuke.  If you pass the nuke school admission test then you have what it takes by definition.

HS GPA = 1.88
ASVAB = 99 percentile
NAPT = 52

My story is not unique but all too common in the nuke world.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2006, 10:26 by M1Ark »

thelonerx

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2006, 07:23 »
thanks for the responses.....i feel more confident now about going into nuke. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?