Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ask a Navy Recruiter  

Author Topic: Ask a Navy Recruiter  (Read 16300 times)

nucruiter

Ask a Navy Recruiter
« on: Jul 11, 2006, 09:47 »
There seem to be a lot of questions about the DEP program for nukes.  Getting in, which is what this board is all about.  There is also a lot of misinformation, outdated, or just plain bad advise (though I am sure with the best of intentions.)

Here is your chance to ask a Nuclear recruiter any question.  I cannot guarantee that I will answer it right away, but you will get an answer.  If the question is very personal, or requires extensive information, you can PM me with the question.  I may ask you to do this if I need more information to accurately answer you question.

About me.
I am the Nuclear Field guy for Miami.  If you are in Miami, don't be afraid to call me either, in fact I encourage it.  I have been doing this for two years now, and I have 5 months until I transfer.  I have been in almost 11 years now, and am a surface MM.  (Was even on a cruiser) 

So ask your questions, and I will answer as best as possible.  Chances are if you have a question, someone else has the same one, so by asking you help out everyone.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2006, 12:24 by Rennhack »

shayne

Re: ASK A RECRUITER
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2006, 09:50 »
Every now and then we get some Nuclear Field Recruiters on the boards.  It is always good to get the inside scoop on what the policy is now.  Thank you for your help with getting our information correct.

taterhead

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2006, 04:51 »
Hey nucruiter-

Make sure to pop in at this thread and give your service history.

Turns out you may know some of the users here!

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4216.0.html

polojoe12

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2006, 11:34 »
Whats the drop out rate for nuke school? I'm really jsut trying to gage how hard this is going to be.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2006, 08:55 »
Whats the drop out rate for nuke school? I'm really jsut trying to gage how hard this is going to be.

Drop rates should be of no concern to you. People get dropped for various reasons that have nothing to do with academic performance. But just for the sake of argument, let's assume the drop rate was 50% based on academics. That only means it was hard for OTHER people. Since you have no idea what their capabilities were to begin with it should be of no concern to you how others failed. You are not them.

I've never gone into any task wondering how many others have failed before me. That would be a sad sad way to live life. I look at the task, decide whst I need to do to accomplish it, then go do it.

Success in Nuke school and life is a matter of individual initiative, a certain amount of base intelligence, and the ability to recognize where and when you are steering down a wrong path, then utilize the resources available to you to course correct before events get beyond you ability to control them. If you're capable of all these, and willing to ask for help then you'll make it through nuke school regardless of some perceived "drop rate".

Mike

nucruiter

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2006, 10:12 »

Mike makes a great point.  The dropout rate for nuke school is a LOT less than it used to be.  They tell us only about 4-5% drop out academically.  Now, there are a few other reasons people don't make it.  Medical, discipline, and officer are probably the biggest. 

Mike is 100% correct.  You cannot control what others do, you have to be ready and willing to put forth the effort to get YOURSELF through the school.  Good luck.

fstanczyc

Re: Ask a Navy Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2006, 04:32 »
Hi Nucruiter,

My son will be going down to the MEPS place some time in August (still needs to loose a couple pounds).  He has already taken the ASVAB and nuke test and qualified.  My question is if he signs up in August what is the current wait to get into the nuke program and when would he ship out?  Is it the same wait for everyone or what determines when you go?

Thanks,

Frank

Samabby

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2006, 10:34 »
Frank,

Open slot and insert recruit. When there is an open slot (today, next week, next month, ? ) he will go into the pipeline.

nucruiter

« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2006, 01:57 »
Hi Nucruiter,

My son will be going down to the MEPS place some time in August (still needs to loose a couple pounds).  He has already taken the ASVAB and nuke test and qualified.  My question is if he signs up in August what is the current wait to get into the nuke program and when would he ship out?  Is it the same wait for everyone or what determines when you go?

Thanks,

Frank

I know if you are on the east coast, he is looking at about a 6 month wait.  Probably about the same if you are on the west coast.  If he wants to leave earlier than that, then he can usually be put on a list and they will try to get him an earlier ship date if a seat becomes available.

Offline smoothtoaster

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2006, 02:25 »
When I signed up (a few weeks ago) they were telling me I would have to wait until Feb. but when I actually signed there was a slot open for Nov. 1st. It all depends on what is open.

-----------------------
smoothtoaster

elusion

« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2006, 06:59 »
I'm married. I have my Masters in Chemistry. Once my wife finishes her PhD in Biochemistry our plan is to join the Navy. She plans on going into the medical field in the Navy.
I have not yet decided exactly what to do in the Navy yet.  I’m seriously considering being a Navy Nuke.
The recruiter I spoke to has said that I would be an officer.  I don’t really want to be tied to a desk all day. What do the officers do as a Navy Nuke? How likely is it that my wife will be posted in the same place as me while I undergo the first year of training?  When not at sea, will I be at a base, hopefully, with my wife?
My one real reservation about being a Navy Nuke would be the time away from my wife. If I were single I would already be in the Navy.

This isn’t Nuke stuff but:  Are there other areas of the Navy where I could use my degree?  I’ve asked my recruiter but all they refer me to is the Medical field, which does not interest me.  Does the Navy do any material research?

Thanks in advanced.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2006, 11:55 »
Elusion, you need to poke around this site abit and you will find more than enough to answer the type of questions you have about being nuke officer (commonly reffered to as ZERO's by those in the know). :)  As far as the research thing you need to look into the Naval labs , which you will find are mostly staffed by civilians working for the Navy.  The path of being a militry couple is extreeeeeemly difficult (read as sucks for those coming in married), people who have been in a while and then get married still find it hard but at least they know what is going on , and by then they are ussualy senior enough to have some control over thier assignents. 
PS In the long run on of your Navy carrears will suffer because you will not be able to take the order that will be good for promotion with out leaving your spouse behind (read as an unaccompined tour or you need to be in Groton and they want her in Norfolk...)

Like I said look long and hard and you will get your answer, just remeber that if it looks like all roses... there are lots of thorns under the flowers!!!!

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

huyner

« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2006, 03:17 »
I'm leaving for bootcamp on August 30th. Once I get back from bootcamp, how long will I have before I have to go to South Carolina? Also, I want to bring my car but I don't want to drive from California to South Carolina. Will the Navy transport my car to South Carolina for me?

thanks

TacomaTRD

« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2006, 04:10 »
You will leave directly from boot camp to Charleston, you may have to hang around a few days after graduation before you fly down to Charleston though.  The Navy will not pay for your car to be shipped from California, so most likely unless you pay to have it shipped youll have to wait until you get leave after A-school to get your car here.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?