Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu More "Can I get in?"

Author Topic: More "Can I get in?"  (Read 4867 times)

wayfahrer

More "Can I get in?"
« on: Jul 19, 2006, 09:23 »
So, I turned 25 in May.  I graduated HS in '99 with a 3.5 or so, did decent on SATs, but as far as college goes things aren't so shiny.  That is to say, I screwed up good and proper.  I'm a pretty smart guy, I'm just lacking direction I guess.  With a good score on the ASVAB, what would you say are my chances of getting into the Nuke program?  I guess what I really want to know is, do I have any chance.  Thanks.

Offline smoothtoaster

• Light User
Re: More "Can I get in?"
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2006, 09:50 »
You must be less than 25 years old to enlist in the nuke field.

--------------
smoothtoaster

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2006, 09:51 »
Get a C an Algebra, keep your nose clean and make the ASVAB score.

Dop they still give age waivers? My three Nuke school room mates were all in their late 20s and early 30s. I was the youngster at 23.

Mike

huyner

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2006, 01:30 »
Since I can answer some of your questions, I've decided to take this opportunity to make my first post, introduce myself, and answer your questions.

I am a recent DEPer (June) who is leaving for Great Lakes on Aug 30, 2006 from southern California. I am 24 (HS c/o '99) and had to run quite a few waivers before I got into Nuke. The first waiver I had to do was an age waiver because when I went to MEPS, the earliest opening for  Nuke was February '07, which meant that I would be 25 by the time I reached bootcamp (my birthday is in Oct). The second waiver was about my father who I have not had contact with since the day I was born. And the third waiver was for a misdemeanor I had when I was in college. This misdeamor was later re-classified(sp?) as an infraction by the Legal person at MEPS. Once all my waivers were complete, a contract was sent to my recruiter and now I am waiting to ship at the end of August.

I did well in HS (Salutorian) and was accepted into every college I applied to, including the Naval Academy. However, I decided to stay close to home to be closer to my mother, my gf at the time, and my HS friends. I attended UCLA and graduated with a Microbiology degree in '03 and have been working in the Biotech industry for 3 years. In February '06 I took the ASVAB (97) and the Advance Placement test (71) and was told that I had qualified for the Nuke program as long as my waivers passed. I was told that with my degree I could apply for an Officer but in the end, I chose Nuke (I'm not sure if I made the correct choice here, only time will tell.)

So to answer your question on whether or not your age will affect your acceptance into the Nuke program, my answer is maybe. Since graduation from college, have you done anything productive such as earning a college degree? Or have you just been sitting on your a** watching the idiot box? My recruiter told me that the age waiver is to make sure that the person wasn't just sitting around the house doing absolutely nothing. As long as you have been productive since graduating from HS, e.g. attending college, there shouldn't be a reason for you to not pass the age waiver.

Sorry for the long post, but this is my 1st post and I wanted to introduce myself.

Huy
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2006, 01:38 by huyner »

Wirebiter

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2006, 07:06 »
I did well in HS (Salutorian) and was accepted into every college I applied to, including the Naval Academy.  I attended UCLA and graduated with a Microbiology degree in '03 and have been working in the Biotech industry for 3 years.

Ok Huyner, please, please listen to me.  As an elisted nuke with 10+ years in the Navy, I beg that you serve your country by being an officer.  Nuke officer if you can.  You already have demonstrated the ability to learn, (degree) and function (3yrs experiance) in a professional field.  I personnaly feel, and I bet there are several other enlisted (and former enlisted) nukes who would agree with me to the death on this one:

*You would do better for yourself and the Navy, if you became an officer*

Pay, job diversity, experiance, future employment,etc..  All of these are significantly better for an officer as opposed to an enlisted man.  Don't get me wrong, serving as an enlisted member of the nuclear community has its bright sides, but there is a reason why more enlisted nukes are lost to officer programs than for any other reason.

Its not to late to change your mind.  Look into Officer candidate school in Pennsecola(sp?) FL., and decide for yourself.  You still have an option until you swear in at MEPS, after that.........

As an enlisted nuke trying to go officer (after 10 years I see the light) please seriously consider the Officer path.  PLease.

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2006, 07:52 »
As a former enlisted nuke I must agree with wirebiter wholeheartedly. The enlisted nuke school class I was in had several degreed professionals and, with only 1 exception, they were all miserable as enlisted. With your degree and OCS then nuke school you should be able to get a really good job in the industry......

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2006, 08:22 »
Without a degree or OCS or nuke school you can end up with a darn good job in the commercial industry.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2006, 07:23 »
Is there a penalty for piling on?

I agree with Wirebiter and Koehler (and BZ, but that may be off topic) that you need to quickly get an OCS package together. As a former enlisted nuke, I can assure you that you will be better served by OCS. And the Navy will receive better service from you.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?