Career Path > Nuclear Operator

Civ SRO to EOOW/RO/EO (no flaming please)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Fermi2:
Usually ROs do NLO Log Review. We do use Lockout Tagout in the civilian world.

Items routinely reviewed in a day

1: Corrective action initiations which for a Shift Manager are usually the most tricky.

2: Work order intiations for classify as to priority, accuracy and to ensure what is broken doesn't violate the license.

3: Limiting Conditions for Operation AKA Tech Specs, ie if you have Pump A from Train A out of service what actions need to be taken and what how long can it be out. Also what sort of compensatory actions are required to be permoed.

4: PMTs for maintenance work orders.

5: Upcoming work,

6: Approval of hanging and restoring tags.

7: Review of work packages and surveillance testing to ensure all acceptance criteria is met.

8: Shift Performance Reviews.

9: Write your shifts cycle report.

10: Perform observations and coaching for the NLOs and Control Room staff.

11: Review training performance.

12: Ensure preps are made for any commitees you might belong to.

13: Approve and review actions taken for corrective action documents assigned to your shift.

14: Review your upcoming work week.

15: Dose reviews for your shift

16: Review and approve temporary changes to procedures.

There's a few more but these are the major ones.

Mike

ChiefRocscooter:
Excellent listing, this give me an idea of what a shift might be like.  All this while you are supervisng the plant operators makes it seems quite a busy watch.  Much of what you list would be off watch type of material for Navy types.
How many people are normally sharing the SRO duties at one time?  Do SM and STA share in this or is it all the SRO's.

Rob

Fermi2:
Usually only SMs can classify Corrective action documents and Work Orders.

The rest is spread through the SROs.

A typical crew is as follows. This is for a dual unit site.

One SM

Two Unit Supervisors

One Work Control SRO who might double as an sTA. This is usually a Unit Supervisor. This is the SRO who usually takes care of work control functions such as testing, tagouts, work package review.

One Floor Walker SRO, usually a Unit Supervisor whose job is to supervise evolutions in the plant

If a shift is forced to go Short Handed the Floor Walker is the position that would be unstaffed.

One of the Unit Supervisors in the CR can double as the STA but this isn't Optimal as he/she would have to be relieved of US responsibilities if the Emergency Procedures are entered.

At the single Unit Site I at which I was employed we had the following for SROs.

One SM

One Unit Supervisor

One Work Control SRO/STA known as a Shift Engineer. This person never stood Unit Supervisor as there was only one qualified STA on each shift and the utility elected to not a have a procedure for relief during a transient. After working at another Utility I'm surprised my former employer doesn't have a procedure as being an STA at a BWR  is far different than at a PWR and in fact the turnover at a Boiler would be easier.

There wasn't a Floor Walker though the ROs were supervisory and acted as in field supervisors.

Mike

Roll Tide:

--- Quote from: ChiefRocscooter on Sep 05, 2006, 06:11 ---Excellent listing, this give me an idea of what a shift might be like.  All this while you are supervisng the plant operators makes it seems quite a busy watch.  Much of what you list would be off watch type of material for Navy types.

--- End quote ---

Much of the work listed IS in someone else's job description. But the SM is responsible to the Plant Manager and the NRC when it is wrong. For example, the lead Health Physics Tech (or back shift supervisor, depending on the site) would also do a dose review and should alert the SM to any areas of concern.

Fermi2:
Actually everything I listed appears in either a procedure or expectation for both facilities at which I've been employed. So far as Dose Reviews for a shift the trend in the industry has been for the departments to take more ownership of their dose, so far as dose reviews I don't mean I make up the RWPs, but I am responsible for determining why my shift or an individual went over on jobs that were assigned to us. All the stuff I listed is stuff I do on a daily basis, weekly at minimum. I will concede in many cases it'd delegated to another SRO.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version