Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How do you decide which rate you are? honeypot

Author Topic: How do you decide which rate you are?  (Read 20748 times)

fridayfred3p

How do you decide which rate you are?
« on: Oct 02, 2006, 10:42 »
I shipping out in a few days and was wondering how do you choose between the different types of nukes you want to be.  When my friend went through he said he chose to be an ET, but the people at MEPS told me the system has changed and you get assigned a rate after the first school. Is that true?

Fermi2

Re: How do you decide which rate you are?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2006, 11:04 »
The hallmark of a good nuke is being able to research a topic and come up with the correct answer. This forum has roughly 825 bazillion threads on this very topic. Might I suggest looking for them?

Mike

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2006, 11:25 »
karma to ya Mike!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2006, 07:16 »
This is some of the abuse I mentioned on the other thread, but they are correct. Try this one;

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,1890.0.html

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2006, 12:23 »
Vielin Dank Dave :)

Marlin it's not abuse if it's 100% true!!! Look at what I gave him as more sea fatherly advice. He might as well get used to lookups now.

Mike
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2006, 12:23 by Broadzilla »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2006, 12:41 »
Sounds like "Sea Child" abuse :) but then thats legal in the Navy, poor nub.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2006, 01:17 »
A good sea dad would teach the nub how to find information and be a useful member of the crew. I'm pretty sure Rickover didn't coddle anyone...

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2006, 02:28 »
Nope, If Admiral Rick had a guy ask a question and there was a space readily marked as Search he would have told the guy he's not smart enough to be in his program then he would have booted him out!

Mike

fridayfred3p

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2006, 07:07 »
Yes I am a little nub, and I do appreciate you guys trying to point me in the right direction.  I have worded my title wrong and I aplogize.  My friend who joined the nuke program about 2 years ago got to choose his specific rating while still in the dep pool.  At MEPS when I asked to be put down as an ET he told me they have change it and you know longer decide anymore, the navy does.  I was wanted to know more about how the navy decide to put you in what rate or was the guy a Meps misinformed.  Right now on my contract it says Nuclear Field (open), not an rating. I will search some more and thanks again.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2006, 07:28 »
When I got ET it was mostly based on scores from Asvab, nuc test, grades (but that may not be the case anymore).  One thing I can say for sure is if you want ET make sure you list your preferences as ET/EM/MM.  Or you will end up EM or MM as they are always happy to give your second choice of MM since they need tham at about 6 to 1 ET ratio, like wise if you put EM first they will make you "happy"since they need 3 to 1 ET ratio of them... If you get the picture put down ET/EM/MM!!! (not that any one of them is bad, it just depends on what you like to do)  And do not despair if you get one you do not like be the best at that and you will still excell in life!!

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2006, 07:35 »
   Try not to be thin skinned it will just get you more grief. When you get to your ship you will be working with a group of people with healthy IQs and when they get bored the "Nubs" or the new guys are frequantly the target of head games. If you start up first time every time like a Toro lawn mower you are the one whos cord will be pulled.
   "Needs of the Navy" will dictate a lot of your life for a while, but don't let that deter you from trying, when asked apply for what you want. There are advantages to each rating so I wouldn't worry to much about it if you do not get your first choice. Your top qualification will be Engineering Watch Supervisor which supervises all three ratings on watch in the engineering spaces. My NEC when I got out was a electrical supervisor and I was a mechanic.

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2006, 07:55 »
Your friend is FOS by the way. The fact he picked ET in DEP and happened to get it is unrelated to each other. They don't decide until sometime at bootcamp.

Mike

fridayfred3p

« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2006, 08:57 »
thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2006, 11:55 »
In many cultures ELTs are treated on the level of Rock or Movie stars and are considered Uber Desirable Sex Gods.

Mike

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2006, 01:07 »
Funny I always thought of ELT's as clean MM's (more radioactive!!, but cleaner).

Also have heard in the past the the L stood for Lightweight, and was a way of desiginating them as ET type of individual (light).  As most Elt's could have fit in with ET's. Hell they used to hang out together up at the sample sink in the AMR :)

Rob

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2006, 02:36 »
ET phooooone hooooome...... :)

bordway

« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2006, 02:59 »
Go ET's!  Even though I'm still in the pipeline and don't count yet...

ELT= Electrician's Love Toy.  One of our instructor's told us that one.  I don't know what went down on his ship...

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2006, 01:45 »

ELT= Electrician's Love Toy.  One of our instructor's told us that one.  I don't know what went down on his ship...

I'm not sure a NUB should be repeating anything about any rate or specialty.

Mike

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2006, 03:59 »

Any time you have to use the "I heard," to talk about another rate it means you are not ready talk about it yet!!  "Children ahould be seen and not heard!!!" :-X

:)
Rob
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2006, 07:45 by ChiefRocscooter »

M1Ark

« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2006, 06:52 »
ELT= Extremely Lazy Technician

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2006, 04:31 »
Now M1Ark has earned the right to post a misguided opinion.

Mike

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2006, 08:07 »
I always thought Techs were people who fixed broken things! 8)  While Mates were warm things you slept with!!! :o

Rob ;) 

KAMFRO

« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2006, 02:26 »
ELT Squat to Pee...You want to be an RO.  power of the atom at your fingure tips. 
EOOW "ELT what is the hydrogen level?"
ELT "What do you want it to be?"

Never trust anyone who answers a question with a question

Fermi2

« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2006, 10:14 »
ELT Squat to Pee...You want to be an RO.  power of the atom at your fingure tips. 
EOOW "ELT what is the hydrogen level?"
ELT "What do you want it to be?"

Never trust anyone who answers a question with a question

You mean power of a start up source right? Don't sweat it, it's a common misconception.

Mike

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2006, 01:42 »
hmm...all this talk makes me wish i had my chance now to try to become an ELT. People such as broadzilla made me want to take the MM path so I could chance at becoming an ELT...I am hoping I get it! I am not the greatest at the mechanical stuff. ha....i love that I chose MM as my top choice... the guys are great and they aren't all into the ET "types of entertainment"....them wire rates and world of warcraft walk as one....

dennis

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?