Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu leave

Author Topic: leave  (Read 17796 times)

aleafonthewind

leave
« on: Oct 03, 2006, 02:18 »
how does leave work? will i get to choose when i go on leave? or will i be told. my recruiter says that i get a month of leave a year, but from the way things sound on here i will be working non-stop. is it ever possible to take a full month off at once?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: leave
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2006, 02:30 »
When you are assigned to a unit, they are unlikely to be able to do without your services for a month. If that is your goal, take it in between duty stations (when you negotiate with your detailer instead of your command).

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

aleafonthewind

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2006, 02:40 »
that is what i was thinking (and why i asked). what, in your experience/opinion, would you say is the average length of leave.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2006, 02:46 »
My average was around 21 days.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2006, 02:50 »
3 weeks is typical, but I have seen a few commands that would not allow > 2 consecutive weeks. (If we don't need you for longer than two weeks, we have to justify to squadron why we even need you....)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2006, 03:06 »
I'll admit I was relatively lucky. The only time I ever had leave cancelled was between A School and NPS and that was because I volunteered to move up from 8503 to 8502 (Which ended up being a fantastic decision in the long run, I've been fortunate in that regard many times over).

When I was a SPU at A1W they were very reasonable about leave, of course being the Leave Coordinator helped! The SSN687 was reasonable too, if you wanted longer periods of leave they'd support it provided you took it in the summer as that's when the yard brds owned her. After I got hurt and was assigned to SubPacRep at Mare Island no one really cared what I did. As the Master Chief said "You're an E 6, I don't care what you do" In fact they were so reasonable they gave me 96 Hour Special Liberty 3 times to go on job Interviews when I ran out of leave. By that I mean they didn't count the time I was already off on the weekend, they'd also let me go 4 days during the week. As a result I had 14 job interviews. Of course on the FLIP side I had to listen to the Master Chief (an MM A Ganger) tell me how a Boomer Fires its missiles using directions that come off a flip over cardwhile it takes a nuke 5000 pages of directions to boil water. (I really miss arguing with that old buzzard!)

So like Roll Tide said it depends on the command. I never saw one guy the during my 6 years take all his 30 days in one year. I was the exception and my situation at SubPacRep was unique.

Mike
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2006, 03:06 by Broadzilla »

Offline smoothtoaster

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2006, 07:15 »
Do you get leave between RTC and A school?

-----------------------
smoothtoaster

shayne

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2006, 07:27 »
Not since they moved bootcamp and "A' school from Orlando.  I guess they figure you can't take leave and make the move from Great Lakes to Charleston, SC.

Offline smoothtoaster

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2006, 10:20 »
how long do you have to move from great lakes to charleston?

------------------
smoothtoaster

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2006, 11:17 »
absolutely no leave at all between the two....hell im not even gettin leave between A school and NPS....but thats what happens wen ur the first class of the fiscal year and u end the week after christmas leave...so we get 11 days for christmas then go back for a week then we class up for NPS the following week,.......YES NO WAITING! ha but most are very lucky and get around 1.5-2 weeks beween schools....but they also do "yard wrk for he other week or 2 while they wait to class up.

DarkMesa8

« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2006, 06:33 »
Bighouz, whens your classup for NPS?  Mine is on Dec 7, which shouldn't put the next one until early february.

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2006, 01:45 »
hey dark mesa.....yes, I am sad to announce that we were misinformed of class up....you are correct I class up the first week of February I believe....which means terrible T-Trek here I come :(    ahhhhhhh  what A school class are you in?

KAMFRO

« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2006, 04:05 »
SSBN leave is non existent.  Well i should say, it is never used.  After a patrol most commands go on a 2-3 week stand down.  You can take leave if you want, but if you dont then you have to show up twice a week to sign the muster sheet.  then go home.  So most guys didnt take leave and just showed up for 5 minutes 2 times a week.

DarkMesa8

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2006, 01:18 »
Bighouz, I'm on leave right now, graduated A school on the 3rd of this month with 0645A.  I'm actually really lucky, since I have my leave now, and from all predictions I should also get Christmas leave during stand down since I'll be classed up and off of T-Trek.  We're also the 2nd to last class that can take RAP duty, after our sister class graduates (graduated by now) comes the approaching feeder classes.  But, I have really no hope for Thanksgiving since we'll be the T-Trackers who JUST got back from leave. 

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2006, 01:21 »
What is T Track?

Mike

Rad Sponge

« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2006, 02:23 »
What is T Track?

Mike

T-Track is short for transistion track which occurs between A-School and Power School.

If I remember my experience accurately it consisted of taking some sort of assessment test (take home), being assigned to a watchsection, support duties, etc.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2006, 03:57 »
In our day it was just called TAD and everyone split between Glakes, Millington TN, and Orlando!  I lucked out and got Orlando (my hme town!!!) and got even luckier cause I was assigned as a mess deck mater at arms at the recruit galley!!! Best job I have had my entire life (although as I et older I realize that to attempt that "job" asw I get older would likely result in heart dailure at some point!!! Oh but I did have fun for about 4 months!!
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2006, 03:59 »
Just read that and now realize that I need either new fingers or or bigger keys?
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Rad Sponge

« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2006, 06:51 »
Just read that and now realize that I need either new fingers or or bigger keys?

Its all good, I am fluent in Chieflish.

shayne

« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:58 »
T-Track.  I remember it as 'smurf duty'.  I think I had the 'A' school grounds.  Easy 2 months of landscaping and sweeping the building floors.

ender17

« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2006, 12:21 »
Yeah, on my last ship it was for over 21 days you had to write a letter stating why you needed that much time off.  I hardly ever took leave, so I always got however much I could want before the fiscal year was up.  The LPO even wrote mine for me one time.  I just didn't care to take leave at the time.  A lot of us generally found that leave can be put aside a bit or stretched out by just putting in a 3 or 4 day special lib chit in.  Good luck with 4, near impossible, but it has happened.  Gonna be nice with this stand down coming up.  Go in, muster, go home.

T-Track for me was checking badges every day as students went in for class.  Or roving watch.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?