Career Path > Training, Tests & Education

18 years old, just graduated high-school, looking to be a nuclear engineer.

(1/8) > >>

Zewle:
After lots of searching I decided on becoming an nuclear engineer. I've always liked the sciences and this field especially interests me, I'm sure it will challenge me, and I think I'd actually be doing something that would make the world slightly better, no matter how miniscule.

I'm in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Anne Arundel Community College is supposed to be the best community college in the country.

My plan as of now is to start the engineering transfer program at AACC that involves 2 years of core classes, then I'd transfer to UMBC College Park's Nuclear Engineering program.

I imagine this would take 4-5 years, though a friend of mine said to expect more like 10 years of schooling, though he's a bit of a pessimist. I'm curious if he's right though.

Also as I understand it, there's a large demand for people in this field as it apparently doesn't seem to attract too many. I'm guessing due to anti-nuclear propaganda.

I was curious if anyone could give me any advice? It would be very appreciated and thank you in advance.

(I apologize for sounding like an idiot right now, nervous for some reason)

NucEng for Hire:
The road to an engineering degree is a long one, but it is good to have direction and goals and not all 18 year olds have that.

As you seem to know, you'll spend the first two years doing nothing related to nuclear engineering. This is “weed out” time, getting a healthy dose of math, physics, chemistry, and hopefully a chance to take some broad-based engineering courses representative of each of the engineering disciplines. This is also a time when a lot of people who know they want to be engineers really find out exactly what type of engineer they want to be. Know that making a contribution in the nuclear field as an engineer does not necessitate being a nuclear engineer: http://www.nei.org/index.asp?catnum=3&catid=714 . That's for plants alone - there's plenty more options in laboratory work and reactor vendor R&D.

Nuclear enrollments weren’t down because of propaganda, they were down because there were no impetuses for new nuclear plants. That has changed in a big way in the past 5 years or so, and enrollments are climbing accordingly. Expect the field to be highly competitive about the time you’d be hitting your stride (that can be a good thing).

5 years is about right for completion. Get some co-op experience in there as well even if it means graduating later.

Search this site & nei.org for some basics. Good luck.

Zewle:
Thanks for the advice.

I assumed that enrollments were down because of propaganda since it seems to be everywhere. Ironically I first got into Nuclear Power because the my Envrionmental "Science" teacher brought up alot of anti-Nuclear Power talking points that seemed very sketchy, and when we were assigned a project that involved reading alot about Nuclear Power it ended up making me want to get into the field.

So thanks to my Environmental Science teachers rabid anti nuclear stance I ended up getting into nuclear power.

It seems like such a great field. Intellectually challenging and satisfying, well paying, helping society, helping the environment and it makes ignorant hippies upset.

EDIT: "Get some co-op experience in there as well even if it means graduating later."

Sorry for being an idiot, but could you explain "co-op experience"?

Also it seems entering the military is a popular route for this field. Do you have any information on how that would work?

NucEng for Hire:
co-ops and internships are time with companies as a paid employee, usually done during your summers off but sometimes also during a regular quarter/semester. you are typically assigned to a company engineer as a project assistant doing low-level items and learning the ropes. this experience is valuable currency on your resume when graduation rolls around. some colleges have placement services for this otherwise it is up to you to set something up. nuclear plants usually welcome 3rd and 4th year students for internships/co-ops.

i was unaware maryland schools had any nuclear programs - their websites don't show any. are they new?

i came up through academia, so i can't give you military advice. there are plenty on this forum that can, and you may want to start with a search to focus any questions you have in this area.

Zewle:
I found the University of Marylands Nuclear Engineering graduate program through our old friend wikipedia http://www.ennu.umd.edu/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version